any twin mommies out there?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Super Mommy
hi all,

I've been lurking a bit more over the past week, trying to refresh my mind about BF. I was wondering whether there are any mothers of twins out there.

I'm hoping I'll be here in 7 or 8 weeks - if my beans will cook long enough and don't need any NICU time and can straight to nursing. Knock on wood.

April 14th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am expecting twins. I'm also lurking. I bf both my older girls, but it's been a long time and I know nothing about tandem nursing.
April 14th, 2008, 08:27 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Definitely NOT a mommy of twins here!

However, I've known a couple girls in my area through LLL that have successfully nursed twins - into toddlerhood even!

The biggest hurdle is like other moms - youll get a lot of bad advice, but double! The advice seems to get worse when dealing with multiples - perhaps the most damaging is the advice of "Get them on a schedule early!". Thats so NOT necessary, and in fact, will be the downfall of BFing for most moms of multiples. Your milk will keep up with both babies AS LONG AS YOU DONT PUT THEM ON A SCHEDULE!. They will fall into a routine, and you WILL nurse nonstop at first, but so do all moms. At first youll have a little trouble juggling two - and will probably feel more comfortable nursing them one at a time, but eventually, mostly out of necessity - youll learn how to nurse both at one time Then, it gets so much easier they say.

SO hang in there. Get with a LC regardless, even if theyre born a little early & do require NICU care, that doesnt mean you cant BF - those are the babies that need it the MOST!

Start attending LLL meetings now as well - you may find another mom of multiples to guide you through this and the LLL leader will also be helpful

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 14th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Super Mommy
Great Sarah! I'm glad that you are here! We are expecting 2 boys too.

I've heard the same to not stress about tandem nursing at first, but to give yourself time to figure out nursing individually, as each infant has their own nursing style. I did order a twin nursing pillow though - EZ 2 Nurse - or something like that. I've heard great things about it.

Don't worry, I"ll be nursing, hand expressing or pumping if they are in the NICU I just meant I'll be around here on the boards more often, hopefully within 7 to 8 weeks

April 15th, 2008, 05:16 PM
kwilder's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kwilder
I have twin girls- 6 weeks old. My girls are on a schedule- they spent two weeks in NICU (born at 34 weeks, emergency c-section). I have not had any problems with supply but I also pump in betweeen feedings. Right now they are nursing every 4 hoursand I pump maybe 2 extra times during the day. I get about 4oz off each side when I pump. I would def. agree with pp about the nursing pillow. They are pricey but help SO much. Also it is wise to get the hang of nursing them individually then tandem. Good luck! PM me if you have any questions.

www.sevenwilders.blogspot.com
April 16th, 2008, 02:03 PM
JCat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm tandeming...but not with with twins. LaLa gave some great advice as always.

Tandeming really isn't much different then sigleton nursing. In the begining it takes all your time Seriously though, when DS was born DD went to nursing full time again (she got sick about 3-4 days after DS was born with a stomach bug and exclusively BF for a week and didn't eat any solids) and it was no problem, I made plenty of milk and so will you ladies. My best advice is (if you can do it) nurse both at the same time, when one is acting hungry offer to the other as well. Some mommies don't like the feeling of both babes there at the same time but it doesn't bother most. Also if someone can stay in the begining to do everything(cooking, cleaning, errands, diaper changes, laundry, burping and most importantly to take care and feed you) but feed babes it will help greatly.

I'm part of another board that would have some more advice on BFing mulitiplies, I can give you the site if you PM me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search