When to introduce a bottle if you have to?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2008, 08:50 AM
jentanne
I have told my work that I will come back to work for the last week. I am a teacher/librarian so I will go back for the final week of school then be off for summer. I really have started thinking about making up some excuse as to why I can't come back, but the fact is I really have some work that needs to be done before the new school year.

ANYWAy.... if I go back I will have to pump and obviously baby will have to have some bottles. So my question is, when is it best to start introducing a bottle and what brand is best? I really don't want to do this at all. In fact, I only have 6 oz in my freezer as it is right now. And, baby will be about 2 months at this point, but I figure I need to give her at least a week to get used to bottles.
April 13th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Beaker's Avatar My boys are adorable
I think 6-8 weeks old is good. maybe as early as 4 weeks. My baby didn't take one so I don't have many suggestions. People like the Adiri bottle. I think it is BPA free too. GL

Earn giftcards and more with Swagbucks!

April 13th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
With all 3 of mine I introduced the Playtex nursers within the first 2 weeks and they all have done really well with them. It's recommended to wait longer though
April 13th, 2008, 03:14 PM
jaypbee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a first time mom. I attended 2 bf classes and the LC both said to introduce the bottle at 4 weeks or there was a chance baby would never take one. So, that's what we did. I think he got literally 1 bottle around that time, just to try it out. He's 9 weeks old now and has been getting a bottle from his Daddy every evening for about a week and is doing great with it. We use the Playtex drop ins...

April 13th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have Playtex drop ins, she hates those, I bought Gerber Nuk, got her to take one and a half oz's when she was half asleep, but when she woke up OMG she SCREAMED. I bought Avent bottles, she screams for those too. I have been trying since she was 4 weeks old off and on. All newborn nipples. I have heard good things about all these from different moms, however my baby wont take any

Hope you find one that works for you I've had the best luck with the Nuk so far....

April 13th, 2008, 05:18 PM
jentanne
Well, I had heard some good things about Breastflow by First years. My MIL found some up where she lives and is going to send them to me because online it takes WEEKS for them to even be sent out. I will try those out.
April 13th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hayden has been getting a bottle since birth ( we were supplementing formula until my milk came in) I use Dr Browns, it helps w/ less spitting up and gas in the belly....

April 14th, 2008, 08:33 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Its recommended to wait until 6 weeks. 4 weeks is the absolute earliest recommended. Unfortunately, theres no evidence that your baby will be more likely to take one if you introduce it at a certain time, but there is a lot of evidence of nipple confusion damaging your efforts at breastfeeding if introduced prior to 6 weeks, and even more so if introduced prior to 4 weeks. Some moms are lucky & have no problems at all, but they are certainly the exception & LC's spend the majority of their tijme helping moms with nipple confusion from early introduction of pacifiers & bottles

Personally, my daughter prefers the wider nipples with Avent bottles

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 15th, 2008, 08:18 AM
mnj082306's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Well, I had heard some good things about Breastflow by First years. My MIL found some up where she lives and is going to send them to me because online it takes WEEKS for them to even be sent out. I will try those out.[/b]
we use breastflow & have since ds was 3 weeks..I give him bottles when we r in public...I love em

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search