Nipple Confusion

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2008, 11:34 AM
lorilori's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My baby boy is less than a week old and we are fighting with a case of nipple confuision. With my first son, I fed him for a year and I thought this time would be a breeze....
I am pretty sure this started from a soothie pacifier. He latched on and ate well the first couple of days then he started fussing at the breast. I took him to a lactation consulant and she was very helpful though he would not stay awake to eat, which she assumed was b/c of high billirubin levels. So she told me to pump and feed for 2 days to flush everything though his system. Well NOW he is a super mess when he comes anywhere near the breast. I bought some breastflow bottles and he is having trouble with them, which lead me to the nipple confusion self diagnosis. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am trying everything. lots of skin to skin, dribbling milk, expressing milk before feeding...he just wants nothing to do with my boobs. I am taking him back to the LC tomorrow but would appreciate any advice in the meantime. Thanks so much.

EDIT********I think it is over!! We pretty much stayed in bed all day working on it. He's nursed all afternoon/evening.. i am soooo relieved!
April 13th, 2008, 08:22 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
check out the sticky on the 3 day nursing sabbatical. It really works well!

also, kellymom.com has a lot of info about nipple confusion, read about it here.

good luck!
April 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's great! I caught this post after your update, but I'm glad to hear that he's nursing agian. Usually it's reccomended that you wait until 4-6 weeks to introduce bottles and pacifiers. Some babies switch very easily, but some get confused very easily. I would wait at least a few more weeks to give him a bottle again and a pacifier if you can. Hopefully by then you have breastfeeding well-established and he doesn't have any problems. If you start to notice any signs of nipple preference, pull the bottles and pacifiers back for a while to get him back on track.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search