Painful letdown when baby is not nursing

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2008, 06:24 PM
jentanne
Several times in the past few days I have felt my milk let down and it really hurt. Baby was not nursing any of these times. A couple times I was talking about breastfeeding right before it happened so I don't know if that got things going or what, but why would this be happening and WHY does it hurt?
April 13th, 2008, 07:07 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I get this, or something similar, all the time. It is totally random - no pattern, not talking about breastfeeding, or even thinking about my son ... no babies crying nearby, no kids around at all sometimes. Just out of the blue, all of a sudden my breasts will get a painful pins and needles sensation that is particularly uncomfortable. I figure it's my letdown; I don't actually feel letdown when I'm nursing, but it's the same feeling as I get before I start leaking on occasions when I DO have a crying baby or something similar nearby. The closest thing to a pattern I've noticed is that it often happens about 2 hours after I've nursed/pumped (I pump or nurse every 3 hours, so an hour before I'm "due").

I can't help with any of the why's, but at least you aren't the only one!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I'm totally guessing here but I would think it might have something to do with oversupply or overactive letdown. I have an overactive letdown myself and this happens to me, usually every 2 hours if I haven't fed my son yet. It hurts!
April 13th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I always have had a more painful letdown, even now it's very intense. I would letdown between feedings when I leaked, so you will probably notice leaking when it happens. A lot of new moms leak, but I agree, it is likely because of oversupply and and overactive letdown. It's something that usually corrects itself though within the first few months as your supply establishes.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

April 14th, 2008, 09:28 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Same here! Its amazing how just talking about a baby, our boobs, anythign remotely close will trigger it too!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 14th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This happens to me all of the time!!! Its like an electric shoch, LOL! It is uncomfortable.

Susan: Mom to 4 beautiful munchkins Sarah, Alexis, Joey, and Addison!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search