Nursing and pumping question

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Ilovemy3sons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I'm a member of the March 2008 playroom. My little guy will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. I'll be returning to work in 2 weeks. He's doing very well breastfeeding and I've started pumping too to get a supply in the freezer.

I don't know if I'm producing enough. I've pumped 3 times now. The first time I got 1 oz out of each breast and the 2nd time I got about the same. Today, I let him eat on the right breast and then I pumped the left breast for 15 minutes and I only got 2 ounces.

Should I be getting more?
April 14th, 2008, 12:14 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What youre getting is absolutely normal & plenty!!!

Also to remember though - even if it WERENT, it would be NO indication of a low supply Your baby is much more efficient than your pump & at this point, and normally I would say dont even sweat it but if youre returning to work in 2 weeks, I know thats impossible

But, I do want to give you these links, it will show you just how little your little guy needs at this age, so many moms over feed with bottles when theyre this little. Its so easy to overfeed. And especially if you try to compare what FF babies are getting to what hes getting!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

YOu can actually plug in the numbers, and find out *about* how much your little guy needs. The high end is a really high number, my daughter & most of my friends kids fell on the lower end to the middle, and only went to the high end of the estimate during growth spurts.

If you can - try to visit him on your lunch hour & nurse as much as possible, and be diligent about pumping Youll do great I've been pumping/working and we've never had to supplement with formula, and have made it 18 months!!!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 14th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Ilovemy3sons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LaLa - thank you so much! That's very helpful!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search