BF'ing/antibody question...

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2008, 05:42 PM
*~Jen~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not nursing yet, but I'm due in about 2 weeks and I will be then. I just talked to my mom tonight and she told me she has Shingles. She has been planning on coming up to help me out for about a week after the baby is born. Obviously, she'll wans to be around her grandson! If I'm exclusively nursing him, will my anti-bodies be enough to protect him from getting Chicken Pox? I had CP when I was younger. I know this may be a non-issue because obviously, he may not be born for 2, 3 or even 4 more weeks and by then my mom might be fine, but there's also the chance that he could be here anyday.

I'm taking my 2 year old to the ped. for his 2 year checkup tomorrow so I was planning on asking her then, but I just thought I'd see if anyone here had any info as well....thanks!

April 14th, 2008, 06:36 PM
jentanne
I don't think so. My assistant was telling me the other day that she knew a small baby who had gotten chicken pox. So I don't think the antibodies work that way. Your ped. would obviously have a better answer for you though so it is good you will see her soon!
April 14th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I believe it's a virus, so yes, breastfeeding could help keep him from catching it. With a newborn baby though, their immune systems are starting out fresh, and it's better to be careful when it comes to exposing them to someone with an illness. IMO, I would keep him away from your mom until you are sure she is better. The colostrum and breastmilk he recieves will help build up his immune system, but he could still very easily catch it. A sick newborn would not be fun

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

April 14th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Although the sickness doesn't pass through the milk, the baby can get it other ways so touching would be one of them. I would say hold off on her being there until she is over it, better safe than sorry. Goodluck.

Jess
April 15th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Mommy2Noah&Jack's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont think it is enough. When I was pregnant with Jack (4 mo), my then 18 month old couldnt get his Chickenpox Vaccine because I was pregnant. I had the chickenpox too as a child, but they said it didnt matter. He had to wait til the babies 1 month appointment to get it because its a live vaccine and your not allowed to be around anyone immune compromised, on steroids, pregnant, ect for 3 weeks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search