WTTC Field trip Q & A's

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2008, 11:39 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WTTC field trip- Thread for us to post questions and hopefully get some answers.
1. Why did you choose to breastfeed?
2. How long have you been breastfeeding/plan on continuing/did you breastfeed?
3. Whats your favorite part?
4. Whats your least favorite part>
5. What do you wish more people knew about breastfeeding?
6. Does it really stop you from getting your period or getting pregnant?
7. Does your breast leak when having sex?
8. What do you do when baby gets teeth and starts biting?
April 15th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't feel like I chose it, it's just what felt natural to do. I didn't think twice about it until after she was born.

She's currently almost 21 months and still nursing and I will likely continue until she self-weans

I feel like it's our special time together. I don't think we would get that time to cuddle and feel close, without nursing.

4. Whats your least favorite part?
At times I feel tied down. With DH being gone most of DD's life, she's become very dependant on me, which can be hard. She didn't take a bottle, so it was hard to leave her and try to break that in the beginning.

It's not what I wish they knew, I just wish more people would experience it. The first 4-6 weeks can be rough, and it's when many moms stop breastfeeding. It's hard to judge your experience based on that alone though, because when you stop when times are tough, you don't know the good things you are missing.
I do wish more woman knew of the help that is out there and took advantage of that. Lactation consultants are there to help. You have to seek it out though, because it doesn't always come easy.

Using breastfeeding as birth control, is tricky. Unfortunately, even those who breastfeed exclusively can still get thier period back at any time. It does help, but unless you know the ins-and-outs of watching for fertile signs, it shouldn't be relied upon solely. Many woman don't get their periods back until at least 6 months though, but those who wean in the first few months typically get it back right away.

I've never had it happen

Baby's bite for a few reasons, sometimes because they are playing or because they are teething. Taking them off the breast and telling them "no" firmly, but not yelling, then having them sit it out for a few minutes, usually works.

April 15th, 2008, 04:51 PM
jentanne
I was a BF'd Baby and I think it is the best choice for baby. It is what was intended to happen (ie natural) so I just think it is best.

I have BFd two children previously and this one I have been BFing for about 3 weeks now. I will only be able to continue until she is 4 months old because when I go back to work pumping will not be an option. However, if I can I may try to continue to BF when I am home, but I don't know if that will work.

Definitely the bonding exp with the baby. I miss it SO much when I stop BFing. I like that it is FREE, easier than mixing up a bottle of formula, quicker so I dont have to listen to crying for long, it helps you lose weight AND your preggo tummy faster, ummm.... probably a lot more that I am missing...

4. Whats your least favorite part>
Sometimes I DO feel like the umbilical cord hasn't actually been cut yet, but I could not imagine giving my little baby a bottle at this point

It really is easy once you get the hang of it. Give it at least two weeks and READ everything you can on the topic. I even had to do more research this time to correct a bad latch. That is key though, you can't just "do it", you have to know a little about it. A bad latch on day one can really cause people to stop altogether so at least make sure you understand what a good latch is all about. Also, a lot of women will say things like, I just didnt make enough milk etc. That is very rarely true. There are some women who have medical issues but most just give up due to lack of understanding on what is going on.

Also, you can successfully breast feed with implants... I am!!!!

Period yes, for a while, pregnancy I would NOT mess around with, lol. Get on the mini pill!!!

You know, I don't know. I didn't bf long enough with my first to find out. I think I wore a bra with my second... but I honestly can't remember. If they do I will just wear a bra.
Can't answer that but I am sure someone will!!!

I hope you all choose to give breastfeeding a chance. It really is a wonderful experience. Good luck with whatever you choose!!

April 15th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the answers so far! I got some more questions from my ladies...this is by far been my most popular field trip so here are the next batch of questions!
Did you want to BF from the outset of your pregnancy, or was it something that grew more appealing as time went by?
Did you struggle at all in the beginning? If so, how did you push through that?
Besides drinking lots of water, what else do you consume daily to keep up your milk supply (liquids and solids)?
Is there anything you didn't know about breastfeeding that you wished someone had told you before you first tried?
did you ever feel like giving up in the beginning?
Is breastfeeding easier or harder than you expected?
If this is not your first child, did you breastfeed your previous child(ren)?
Do you pump and breastfeed? When did you start pumping?
At first how often did your child feed and for how long?
how soon did they get on a schedule?
How do you feel about extended BF'ing?
If you extended BF'ed, how did you wean and what age?
Was it hard to go between BF and bottle feeding breast milk that you had to pump while working?
Can you drink while breastfeeding?
If you have pierced nipples does that affect your breastfeeding?

Thanks again ladies!
April 16th, 2008, 07:35 AM
jentanne
Did you want to BF from the outset of your pregnancy, or was it something that grew more appealing as time went by?
I always knew I wanted to breastfeed. I even had some friends tell me they thought it was "gross" but that didn't bother me, I KNEW it wasn't.

Yes, with my first I struggled and didn't get through it, I quit. And, I cannot tell you how bad the guilt was. The reason I failed was because I supplemented too much with formula and my supply suffered which made BFing harder each time which led me to feed more formula. With this one I had problems with her latch at first. I had to do a LOT to overcome the damage she had done to my nipples including feeding her in some really weird positions and doing salt water rinses, lanolin and neosporin treatments in between bfing.... that is why you really need to make sure you are educated on bfing before you start.

Besides drinking lots of water, what else do you consume daily to keep up your milk supply (liquids and solids)?
I don't drink a lot of water per se... just lots of fluids. I drink milk because I like it, and sugar free koolaid. I still stay away from caffiene cuz I do NOT want a wide awake baby at 2 am, lol. I still take vitamins and my doctor gave me some of that Expectra stuff, but I wouldn't take it if it weren't given to me.

Is there anything you didn't know about breastfeeding that you wished someone had told you before you first tried?
It is MORE than just feeding a baby. It is such an awesome experience. Once you get the hang of it. There really isn't a way to describe it, you just have to experience it.

Lots of times. Especially when you just want to eat lunch but it is time to feed the baby, lol. Or when you want DH to have a turn at 3 am!!! And it is harder if you have problems too, that can make you want to quit.

The first time it was much harder, the second time it was a BREEZE... my second was a champion nurser... and the third time again it was harder. It really changes with each child.

yes

I started pumping around 2 weeks to start building up a supply for when I go back to work. and in case I need to go somewhere without baby.

This is a good one!! My first two I always timed. I fed 10 to 15 minutes on each breast. THis time I let baby decide when she is finished and I only feed on one side at a time (I didn't start that right away though, when she was still in the hospital I had to feed on both sides cuz she was hungry) Not timing has been a sanity saver!!! I don't time between feedings either. If she is giving hunger cues, she gets fed. She knows better than me when she is hungry.

Not there yet, may not ever get there, lol

I wish I could do it!! My work schedule will not allow for that unfortunately.

n/a

Was it hard to go between BF and bottle feeding breast milk that you had to pump while working?
We are about to start working on this but so far, yes it is hard for her to take a bottle. Again though with my second, she never had a problem.

Yes, but we are talking like ONE drink... and I probably wouldn't even do that personally.

I have heard from people that have them that it does not affect it, although you definitely have to take the piercings out to feed.

April 16th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
1. Why did you choose to breastfeed? I felt like BFing would help give my baby the best start possible.

2. How long have you been breastfeeding/plan on continuing/did you breastfeed? DD is almost 5 mo and has been EBF since birth. My initial goal was 6 mo but I can't imagine being done that soon so I will probably try to go to a year.

3. Whats your favorite part? Definetly the bond. I'm sure formula mom's feel just as bonded with their children but DDs nursing sessions are my favorite times and I love knowing that I'm providing all the nutrition she needs.

4. Whats your least favorite part? The pain in the beginning and feeling myself leaking just when talking about her.

5. What do you wish more people knew about breastfeeding? I think just not comparing BF babies to FF babies in terms of growth, feeding schedules, etc.

6. Does it really stop you from getting your period or getting pregnant? I haven't had a period yet but I also know that I could ovulate anytime so we always use backup methods of BC.

7. Does your breast leak when having sex? I haven't had this happen.

8. What do you do when baby gets teeth and starts biting? No teeth here yet but she is starting to teeth and has bitten a few times. I just pull her off and wait a minute before latching her back on. So far this has worked.

Did you want to BF from the outset of your pregnancy, or was it something that grew more appealing as time went by? I knew I wanted to while I was pregnant but didn't realize how important it was to me until I actually had her.

Did you struggle at all in the beginning? If so, how did you push through that? In comparison to others stories I don't think we really struggled. DD latched wonderfully from the get go and I've never had supply issues. It was painful for the first few weeks when she first latched but I just kind of breathed through it and used cream after nursing sessions.

Besides drinking lots of water, what else do you consume daily to keep up your milk supply (liquids and solids)? I just try to drink a lot of water and I also eat oatmeal for breakfast everyday.

Is there anything you didn't know about breastfeeding that you wished someone had told you before you first tried? not that I can think of

did you ever feel like giving up in the beginning? no

Is breastfeeding easier or harder than you expected? easier
If this is not your first child, did you breastfeed your previous child(ren)? first baby

Do you pump and breastfeed? When did you start pumping? I work FT so I pump at work. I started pumping once a day at home before returning when she was about a month old.

At first how often did your child feed and for how long? About every 2 hours for probably 20-30 minutes, she would go slightly longer at night.

how soon did they get on a schedule? I didn't force a schedule but she started her own of nursing every 3 hours or so during the day, cluster feeding for a few hours in the evening and going about 5 hours at night at about 6 weeks. Now she still does the 3 hours during the day and the cluster feeding but will go 7-8 hours at night.

How do you feel about extended BF'ing? I'm not sure what we will do yet but I admire those who are able to BF for that long.

If you extended BF'ed, how did you wean and what age? n/a

Was it hard to go between BF and bottle feeding breast milk that you had to pump while working? The only trouble we had was DD refusing the bottle when I first returned (even though she had them occasionally before this) once she started taking the bottle she has done great.

Can you drink while breastfeeding? Yes, there are certain guidelines that should be followed. I'm sure the LLL website of Kellymom has them.
If you have pierced nipples does that affect your breastfeeding? no pierced nipples here
April 16th, 2008, 09:25 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I chose to breastfeed for a number of reasons. I "tried" BFing my first, got horrible advice from my ped & Ob/gyn & ended up giving it up at 6 weeks. I had a myriad of problems with my son from there out, mostly digestive problems, which lasted until he gave up formula & the bottle at a year old. It was bad enough at one point that they threatened surgery, and thankfully that became unnecessary but in the meanwhile we were on every formula out there, none of them worked. Finally the last resort at the time was Nutramigan, which wasnt covered by WIC at the time. As a single mom working a min wage job at the age of 19, you can imagine how tough that was. Any other formula caused internal bleeding. Formula is NOT second best or "just as good". I was determined that it would work at ANY cost.

With my first I started weaning him at 6 weeks, and he aws completely FF by 8 weeks. With my daughter, shes been BF now for 18 months. We initially planned for a year, and now our goal is until 2 or until she decides shes done.

Everything. The looks she gives me. Seeing her grow & develop on JUST my milk - something my body perfectly developed just for her. The feeling at 5 months of watching her crawl & knowing every bit of that development occured from what MY body produced was just awe inspiring. The bonding. THe rush of emotions & hormones that is unique only to breastfeeding - it cannot biologically be reproduced or duplicated while bottle feeding. Thats a scientific fact, not my personal opinion. Shes healthy, smart. Waking up in the morning & having that special time together. The adoration she shows for her milk. She is talking now & will sing praises to the milk lol. I've never had the joy & experience of seeing my child love something so much that only I can give. It makes me tear up with happiness just thinking about it.

4. Whats your least favorite part. Nothing. There are some inconveniences, sure. At 6 weeks, it was tiring. But anything at 6 weeks PP is tiring lol.

Everything. Sigh. I actually get sad that other people go through life never experiencing the joys. That so many peopel give up when they think its rough thinking that its easier/greener on the other side. They give up without ever being able to experience the moments when its effortless bliss. Theyll never experience the beauty of it and be able to appreciate it withotu the stresses & frustrations of the early weeks.

Yes, you usually wont begin ovulating again until around the time your baby starts solids (usually around 6 months or around the halfway to a year point). LAM (Lactation Awareness Method?), when used properly, is just as effective as most other BC options with fewer risks & side effects. But you must be careful to follow it just as it says. We werent able to rely on it b/c our daughter ended up taking a pacifier after 6 weeks.

No.

My daughter started clamping down before she got teeth at around 9 months. She didnt get her first tooth until 13 months. When shed clamp down Id firmly tell her "NO", pull her in to make her open her mouth, and unlatch her. It only happened a few times, and she quit. Now I can tell if shes thinking about it - shell stop nursing, lookat me, and i can see her teeth on there, and just tell her 'no - if you bite you cant get milk' - and shell go back to nursing or get down to play. Its really never been a big issue for us. The few times she tried I was consistent in my response, and shed rather nurse than bite, so she chooses nursing

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 16th, 2008, 09:34 AM
The second set of q/a's:

I knew I wanted to BF my first about halfway through, a good friend of mine had already BF two children by then.
With my second, I knew I wanted to BF my daughter before I ever got pg. I made my mind up about that when things went downhill with formula with my first.

Yes, a little. I had no latch problems, but I did have problems with thrush. Id been involved with LLL since my pg, and had made friends with the leader, as well as some LC's. I relied on them for help, as well as the friends I made in LLL who all were successfully breastfeeding 1 or more children

Nothing special. I drink a lot of tea lol.

Its all worth it. It will make PPD better if you give it a chance & have the right support. IT can be really difficult to do it without good support so educating your spouse is a key thing. Attend LLL meetings BEFORE you have the baby. Get in touch with a LC BEFORE you have the baby. Read, research, and know ahead of time what to do for all the common problems NEVER use formula for a "quick fix" not even "just once".

No. I only gave up with my first b/c of misinformation from my ped & ob/gyn - i didnt want to then, but assumed (wrongly) that they knew what was best.

In the beginning - harder, in the end - easier.

For 6 - 8 weeks.

I pump b/c I work (and no more than i absolutely have to). I started pumping at around 6 weeks, but only very occasionally. I started pumping regularly about 4 days before I returned to work (I'm a procrastinator & hate pumping lol).

With my first - Id nurse an hour, rest an hour, nurse an hour, etc. This went on the whole time almost lol.
With my second - she was quicker, shed nurse 5 mins or less, rest an hour in the beginning. During growth spurts it was nonstop almost (every 30 mins - 1 hour). By 8 weeks ish she was goign 2- 3 hours at a time in the evenings.

Hmm, they settle into their own pattern (I hate the word schedule - *I* dont even eat on a schedule lol) around 6 - 8 weeks... except growth spurts of course.

Initially was wary, now I'm totally on board & believe that its intended to be that way (after MUCH research on the topic btw).

By most standards were "extended bfing" - shes 18 months. I dont really consider it extended until at least the age of 2 if not 3 (medical standards in the us consider after 2, worldwide its usually considered after the age of 3). She will wean when shes ready, and I'll go with the flow

No.

Yes.

No pierced nipples but I've read a ton of posts on it, and articles. Have yet to hear of someone having a problem.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 16th, 2008, 10:00 PM
When you were pregnant, how long did you intend to breastfeed for?
Once you started, did you have a date you originally planned to cutoff?
What are some of the things you should watch for while breastfeeding? And of those things-how do you treat/prevent it from happening?
Probiotics? I hear about them and mom's taking them and giving them to baby also....what are some of the supplements that you use/take?
Have you ever tasted your breast milk...how about your SO?
Whats your view on public breastfeeding?
Tell us a funny story about breastfeeding!
April 17th, 2008, 06:08 AM
LOVE the questions

When you were pregnant, how long did you intend to breastfeed for?
A year (were at 18 months now lol).

Once you started, did you have a date you originally planned to cutoff?
Um... with my first, no. I NEVER considered nursing beyond a year, though. It never even crossed my mind as a possibility with my first. I think I just never thought that far ahead lol.

With my second I knew about nursing beyond a year, but - nah not really. I just knew I wanted to breastfeed for AT Least a year, then reassess. By the time we reached a year, I was intent on 2 yrs.

What are some of the things you should watch for while breastfeeding? And of those things-how do you treat/prevent it from happening? Thrush - avoid antibiotics unless necessary (particularly during birth). Your pediatrician lol. Make sure theyre BFing friendly by checking with other BFing moms, particularly those involved in LLL. As I found out the hard way with my first, it can make it or break it. Theyll recommend supplementing when its not necessary like with Jaundice, and with "slow" weight gain (even though its normal for BFing babies, they usually compare your baby to FF babies & the standard weight gain chart is for FF babies - few peds even know there IS a BF baby chart!). Oh and watch out for neighbors & well meaning friends who werent successful at BFing - chances are the advice theyre giving you is wrong lol - else theyd still be bfing Kind of like the old advice "dont take marraige advice from people who are divorced" lol.

Probiotics? I hear about them and mom's taking them and giving them to baby also....what are some of the supplements that you use/take?
Probiotics restore the healthy bacteria & flora in your gut, to help avoid an imbalance of good vs. bad bacteria. When all the good bacteria is gone, then yeast develops (its a common result of antibiotics but can happen even without antibiotics). It will help prevent & treat yeast. Other than probiotics when we have or suspect thrush, we dont really take any supplements. I do try to make sure myprenatals are whole vitamins though so they dont upset my stomach as much & leave that nasty burpy taste.

Have you ever tasted your breast milk...how about your SO?
Lol - yes & yes. And so has my 9 yr old lol. Shhhh dont tell DH, but I made my daughters first birthday cake icing with breastmilk he has NO idea lol. (and yes, he ate some lol)

Whats your view on public breastfeeding?
I think there should be more of it.

Tell us a funny story about breastfeeding!
Ive got lots of them, but speaking of public breastfeeding - in the early weeks I had a super overactive letdown, meaning when shed nurse, it would spray really hard lol. Shed choke & gag & spit up - you name it. SO i learned to take her off & let it relax a little before latching her back on. Well - we were out eating & b/c I was still getting the hang of it all, I sat in the back booth with my back towards the restaraunt, DH across from me. Azlin started nursing, and I forgot to unlatch her - well the letdown started & she unlatched herself & milk went spraying across the table at DH lol. *I* thought it was funny

Theres been more than a few hilarious moments, including our daughter waking DH up in the middle of the night to get "daddy milk" lol. It gave him quite a jump lets just say! lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>
April 17th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Theyll recommend supplementing when its not necessary like with Jaundice, and with "slow" weight gain (even though its normal for BFing babies, they usually compare your baby to FF babies & the standard weight gain chart is for FF babies - few peds even know there IS a BF baby chart!).
Well - we were out eating & b/c I was still getting the hang of it all, I sat in the back booth with my back towards the restaraunt, DH across from me. Azlin started nursing, and I forgot to unlatch her - well the letdown started & she unlatched herself & milk went spraying across the table at DH lol. *I* thought it was funny [/b]
follow up question....were can I find a BF chart online so I can track for my future little one.
And a big HAHAHAHA to public spraying LOL
April 17th, 2008, 11:39 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
this has gotta be quick because walter is awake!

1. Why did you choose to breastfeed? in order of importance... it's what's best for him, i am thinking of delaying vaccines and i want him to be protected, my husband has crohn's disease and i want to protect him from that, he loves it, its free, and it helps lose pregnancy weight!
2. How long have you been breastfeeding/plan on continuing/did you breastfeed? i have been for 3 months and i plan to until around a year but i'll play it by ear.
3. Whats your favorite part? as of yesterday, he looks at me and smiles and babbles while i nurse him and its the best feeling. it's also amazing seeing him grow on something only i can give him. it's also awesome to know i am doing something great for him.
4. Whats your least favorite part? feeling tied down sometimes, and when he fusses at the breast and i don't know why.
5. What do you wish more people knew about breastfeeding? that it really is much better for babies than formula, and that it's so incredibly hard at first!
6. Does it really stop you from getting your period or getting pregnant? i dunno but im 3 months PP and havent had a period yet. im not using it as birth control though.
7. Does your breast leak when having sex? i dunno, im a leaker all the time so i always keep my bra on!
8. What do you do when baby gets teeth and starts biting? no idea! ask me in a month or two!
9. Did you want to BF from the outset of your pregnancy, or was it something that grew more appealing as time went by? wasnt sure i would do it at first because i didnt think i would feel comfortable with it. i hate to admit it but i have always been one to view the breast as a sex object. it changed when i had him, it wasnt weird at all and felt completely natural (obviously)
10. Did you struggle at all in the beginning? If so, how did you push through that? i did! i cried almost every day because we had so many struggles. i posted on here a lot of support. i also set short term goals, like 6 weeks and then 3 months. now that im at 3 months its gotten better and im aiming for at least 6 months.
11. Besides drinking lots of water, what else do you consume daily to keep up your milk supply (liquids and solids)? i take a prenatal and make sure to eat a lot! lots of ice cream without feeling guilty
12. Is there anything you didn't know about breastfeeding that you wished someone had told you before you first tried? that it would be extremely hard, and that i should breastfeed immediately after birth (i waited almost 2 hours)
did you ever feel like giving up in the beginning? yes, i wanted to give up but didnt actually plan on giving up because i knew i needed to make it work.
13. Is breastfeeding easier or harder than you expected? harder
14. If this is not your first child, did you breastfeed your previous child(ren)? n/a
15. Do you pump and breastfeed? When did you start pumping? i did at first, at about 2 weeks PP because he wasnt latching on well so i had to give him a lot of bottles of expressed milk at first. but then i produced too much milk so i had to stop pumping all together.
16. At first how often did your child feed and for how long? about every 2 hours. i still feed him about every 2 hours during the day.
17. how soon did they get on a schedule?
no idea. walter is 3 months old and he isnt on a schedule. he does sleep through the night now though, started around 7 weeks.
18. How do you feel about extended BF'ing? i dont think its for me. i'm excited for my husband to get to take part in feeding walter.
19. If you extended BF'ed, how did you wean and what age? n/a
20. Was it hard to go between BF and bottle feeding breast milk that you had to pump while working? n/a. but when i did bottle feed, walter didnt have nipple confusion much at all.
20. Can you drink while breastfeeding? i have a couple beers or glasses of wine a week, right when he goes to bed.
21. If you have pierced nipples does that affect your breastfeeding? n/a
22. When you were pregnant, how long did you intend to breastfeed for? wasn't sure i was even going to bf!
23. Once you started, did you have a date you originally planned to cutoff? yeah, 3 months because we had so many struggles. but we hit that date and we arent stopping soon!
24. What are some of the things you should watch for while breastfeeding? And of those things-how do you treat/prevent it from happening?
hmm, im not sure about this one. i just take my prenatal and i took fenugreek once after i was sick and my supply dropped.
25. Have you ever tasted your breast milk...how about your SO? i did once, on my finger, because walter refused it and was curious why! my husband? ew never!
26. Whats your view on public breastfeeding? i'm all about it!!
27. Tell us a funny story about breastfeeding! i have an overactive letdown and one morning i was feeding walter and he unl;atched so i could spray into a towel, and i accidentally sprayed my husband in the face. oops!!
April 17th, 2008, 11:52 AM
The BFing growth chart for babies is available online through the World Health Organization. I admit though, theyre difficult to read.
Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>
April 18th, 2008, 06:57 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Hi Angela! Sorry I am late on this. I didn't get to check this board the past few days.

1. Why did you choose to breastfeed? I chose to because it was best for baby, and the thought of giving my baby synthetic milk is unbearable.

2. How long have you been breastfeeding/plan on continuing/did you breastfeed? She is 3 months and a week old today. I was one of those "I'll try to breastfeed for 6 months" people but now I am totally in love with it. I'm not sure when I will stop, I imagine when she weans herself.

3. Whats your favorite part? The fact that it is the best thing for her, it's easy as can be,
requires no prep (especially in the middle of the night) and the closeness. Once she looked up into my eyes and smiled while eating, wow. I can't explain that feeling.

4. Whats your least favorite part I don't really think I have one. I'm not super crazy about how big my boobies are now.

5. What do you wish more people knew about breastfeeding? The negative attitude some people have about it, that it is taboo is beyond me. Mostly because most people aren't exposed to it (pun intended) and so many women are ashamed. All I can do is be me and educate the people in my life by being open about it and showing that it's not such a big deal.

6. Does it really stop you from getting your period or getting pregnant? I has some spotting at 6 weeks PP, but otherwise I have not gotten my period. Although I exclusively feed on demand, I am too fertile to use it as BC on it's own.

7. Does your breast leak when having sex? not yet, but I haven't been brave enough to take my bra off for it.

8. What do you do when baby gets teeth and starts biting? I have heard you pull baby in towards you to get them to let go, then end the session. We don't have teeth yet here though.

Did you want to BF from the outset of your pregnancy, or was it something that grew more appealing as time went by? from the beginning

I had a lot of pain in my back and shoulders from childbirth and a preexisting condition, especially on my right side. My daughter was very sleepy and I was so worried that something was wrong, because in the hospital they told us to feed her every 2-3 hours. She didn't want to and just wanted to sleep. Then when she would eat, she got off my breast a lot and I think she was just reacting to my stress. It was also hard because I was engorged and that was making everything more intense. She hated my right side. I ended up pumping for about 5 days, and sort of thought I would just pump and bottle feed her my milk. After about 5 days of that, I decided to put her to my breast again. She went right on!! She still would get off from time to time and get back on, but I was much more relaxed at that point, in less pain and the need for her to eat wasn't an "emergency" like it had been before. We went right back to the breast full time within a day. She still likes to get off and get back on multiple times while eating, so I know now that's just the way she is.

Besides drinking lots of water, what else do you consume daily to keep up your milk supply (liquids and solids)? Just a healthy diet.

Is there anything you didn't know about breastfeeding that you wished someone had told you before you first tried? I did some reading at the end of my pregnancy, but I still didn't quite get that it was going to take time for her to get it. I think I just had to experience that for myself.

Also I think hospital staff send us home with instructions that aren't reasonable. They don't tell you that the 12 feedings a day are built up to, and newborns sleep so much you can't expect them to want to eat that much the first few days. I think they cause more panic and self doubt than good.

did you ever feel like giving up in the beginning? I did think I might be a pumper for those few days, but I was never going to go to formula.

Is breastfeeding easier or harder than you expected? after the initial learning curve, it's easy as pie.

Do you pump and breastfeed? When did you start pumping? since the first week, my pump has been put away. I did bring it out to pump a bit when I had a clogged duct, to help clear it.

At first how often did your child feed and for how long? I don't really time it, she eats on demand. Sometimes we go hours without eating, sometimes we have multiple times in a row.

how soon did they get on a schedule? we have a needs led schedule, I don't watch the clock.

How do you feel about extended BF'ing? it's great! and a very personal thing.

Can you drink while breastfeeding? you can drink in moderation

April 18th, 2008, 12:11 PM
If I could only read ONE book about breastfeeding what would you recommend?
Is there such a thing as a sexy breastfeeding bra? If so where do you get them?
April 18th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Beaker's Avatar My boys are adorable
1. Why did you choose to breastfeed? It is best for baby and other mothers told me it rocks
2. How long have you been breastfeeding/plan on continuing/did you breastfeed? 6 months on Tuesday, going for another year at least
3. Whats your favorite part? our special bond
4. Whats your least favorite part> leaking lol
5. What do you wish more people knew about breastfeeding? it is fine to do it in public and it is fine to nurse toddlers
6. Does it really stop you from getting your period or getting pregnant? no af here, I use protection when we DTD
7. Does your breast leak when having sex? never took off my bra during lol
8. What do you do when baby gets teeth and starts biting? he hasn't really, just a couple of times

I wanted to BF since I was in my early 20s.
We did fine at the beginning. It gets easier very fast. You both get better.
healthy diet is important.
There can be problems, but there are always solutions.
I even have a drink on occasion too.

Earn giftcards and more with Swagbucks!

April 18th, 2008, 05:39 PM
mnj082306's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WTTC field trip- Thread for us to post questions and hopefully get some answers.
1. Why did you choose to breastfeed? I felt it would help build my son's immune system and I never bf my older 2 and wanted to try it out
2. How long have you been breastfeeding/plan on continuing/did you breastfeed? I have been bf for 7 weeks and plan to do so til teeth come in
3. Whats your favorite part? the bond
4. Whats your least favorite part? Feeding every 2 hours
5. What do you wish more people knew about breastfeeding? how it helps with horomonal issues...I have no baby blues with this one and did with my older 2 that were formula fed
6. Does it really stop you from getting your period or getting pregnant? no idea
7. Does your breast leak when having sex? haven't done that yet
8. What do you do when baby gets teeth and starts biting? hasn't gotten teeth yet

If I could only read ONE book about breastfeeding what would you recommend? didn't read any
Is there such a thing as a sexy breastfeeding bra? If so where do you get them? I haven't seen any

When you were pregnant, how long did you intend to breastfeed for? 6 weeks
Once you started, did you have a date you originally planned to cutoff? no
What are some of the things you should watch for while breastfeeding? And of those things-how do you treat/prevent it from happening? dairy and alcohol intake...I don't eat or drink them
Probiotics? I hear about them and mom's taking them and giving them to baby also....what are some of the supplements that you use/take?I don't take em
Have you ever tasted your breast milk...how about your SO?no and no
Whats your view on public breastfeeding? I am ok with it but DH isn't because he thinks it makes others uncomfortable.
Tell us a funny story about breastfeeding! don't really have one

Did you want to BF from the outset of your pregnancy, or was it something that grew more appealing as time went by?something that grew more appealing as time went by
Did you struggle at all in the beginning? If so, how did you push through that? nope...he did GREAT
Besides drinking lots of water, what else do you consume daily to keep up your milk supply (liquids and solids)?nothing really
Is there anything you didn't know about breastfeeding that you wished someone had told you before you first tried?nope
did you ever feel like giving up in the beginning?nope
Is breastfeeding easier or harder than you expected?more time consuming but overall easier
If this is not your first child, did you breastfeed your previous child(ren)? nope
Do you pump and breastfeed? When did you start pumping? 2day home
At first how often did your child feed and for how long? n/a
how soon did they get on a schedule? not on one yet
How do you feel about extended BF'ing? its not for me
If you extended BF'ed, how did you wean and what age? n/a
Was it hard to go between BF and bottle feeding breast milk that you had to pump while working? he does GREAT
Can you drink while breastfeeding? yea just not alot but I don't
If you have pierced nipples does that affect your breastfeeding?n/a

April 18th, 2008, 08:57 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1. Why did you choose to breastfeed? Because I knew it was what was best for my baby - and nothing but the best would do!

2. How long have you been breastfeeding/plan on continuing/did you breastfeed? I've been exclusively breastfeeding Amelia for four months, and plan to EBF till six months or longer, then bf for as long as she wants (within reason. I'm good up to 2 1/2 or 3.) I bf'ed Rachael until just after her second birthday.

3. Whats your favorite part? The closeness with baby - just looking at each others' faces while she nurses, and cuddling her when she nurses to sleep. Having her pop off with a big, milky grin is just awesome too.

4. Whats your least favorite part? DH assumes that since he can't feed her, that there's nothing he can do to comfort her.

5. What do you wish more people knew about breastfeeding? That breastfeeding is what boobs were actually made for, and there's nothing sexual about it - ie., no need to make nursing mothers feel uncomfortable in public. And I love to inform them whenever the chance arises.

6. Does it really stop you from getting your period or getting pregnant? I can't vouch for pregnancy, as I have a hard time conceiving to begin with. I didn't get my period back until just before Rachael's first birthday though, and no sign of her four months in with Amelia.

7. Does your breast leak when having sex? Nope! I never leak, actually.

8. What do you do when baby gets teeth and starts biting? Use a finger to unlatch, firmly tell her "NO biting" and wait a few minutes before resuming nursing. Thankfully, Rachael only nipped me once (not enough to really call a "bite"), but that's my plan.

Did you want to BF from the outset of your pregnancy, or was it something that grew more appealing as time went by? I had never really thought about it, and the idea did take some getting used to. It grew more appealing as time went by, but I even went to the hospital the first time telling myself "I'll bf for six weeks and see how it goes." The first time I nursed my daughter, I was sold. Never even *considered* anything else afterward.

Did you struggle at all in the beginning? If so, how did you push through that? It's strange how something so natural can feel so unnatural at first...I had to learn how to hold her and get her to latch on best. Once that was done, it was smooth sailing.

Besides drinking lots of water, what else do you consume daily to keep up your milk supply (liquids and solids)? I drink a ton of water, but don't do anything else special to keep my supply up.

Is there anything you didn't know about breastfeeding that you wished someone had told you before you first tried? I wish someone had told me how wonderful it is! I didn't know anyone else who breastfed, so it was new territory for me.

did you ever feel like giving up in the beginning? No, I was firmly committed to it from the beginning.

Is breastfeeding easier or harder than you expected? Easier!

If this is not your first child, did you breastfeed your previous child(ren)? Yes (see above. )

Do you pump and breastfeed? When did you start pumping? I've pumped a little here and there just to have an emergency stash. I think I started when she was around three months? And I've since quit altogether, because I HATE pumping.

At first how often did your child feed and for how long? Oh gosh, it's been so long with Rachael, I'm not sure. Amelia nursed quite often in the beginning - every two hours or so. We co-sleep, so it was never a big deal at nighttime. Breastfeeding and co-sleeping is an *awesome* combination - I lose NO sleep!

how soon did they get on a schedule? She was pretty predictable by two months, maybe a bit sooner.

How do you feel about extended BF'ing? I'm all for it, within reason. My personal comfort level would let me nurse till 2.5, MAYBE 3. When Rachael weaned at just past two, it felt good to me, so 2 is my goal with Amelia.

If you extended BF'ed, how did you wean and what age? LOL, I keep answering the questions before I get to them!

Was it hard to go between BF and bottle feeding breast milk that you had to pump while working? N/A, I'm a SAHM.

Can you drink while breastfeeding? As in alcohol? You CAN - it's advisable to wait until you won't be nursing for several hours, or pump and dump the next feeding. Personally, I don't.

If you have pierced nipples does that affect your breastfeeding? N/A

When you were pregnant, how long did you intend to breastfeed for? With Rachael, my initial goal was six weeks...then bumped that up to a year, then to two years. My goal has been two years with Amelia from birth.

Once you started, did you have a date you originally planned to cutoff? No, no arbitrary dates here. Mostly child-led for me.

What are some of the things you should watch for while breastfeeding? And of those things-how do you treat/prevent it from happening? I'm sure this has already been answered by someone who knows more than I do. I've been fortunate to have NO problems thus far!

Probiotics? I hear about them and mom's taking them and giving them to baby also....what are some of the supplements that you use/take? I took probiotics after Amelia had to go on antibiotics for a fever, to help balance her out. I still take prenatal vitamins, as well as fish oil.

Have you ever tasted your breast milk...how about your SO? I have - DH hasn't. It's sweet.

Whats your view on public breastfeeding? I wish more moms would! And I will, anywhere my baby is hungry.

Tell us a funny story about breastfeeding! Hmm...can't think of any off the top of my head. I'll come back and edit if I do.
April 20th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Thank you to all the women who filled out our millions of questions! You were so great. If more of you want to add to this please do! I especially like the funny stories LOL
April 20th, 2008, 11:00 AM
*Fiona*
Wow very interesting and informative. Thanks to each one of you who took the time to reply to our questions!!

Hopefully in the near future I'll be over here looking for advice and support

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search