We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I dont know how long its been since I had an MMR shot. Should I get one, or should I not get one, or should I wait until/if the measles/rubella cases come directly to our city then worry about it? My kids are 6,5,3,19 months and 4 months. 1 child has had both shots, 3 have had 1 and my little girl has not had any of the MMR shots (they give them at a year and again before school). What do you think?
Well, I'm not very pro-vax unless its a major thing and an obvious risk. IMO, based on the research I've done, Measles & Mumps are what the outbreaks are usually of, and neither of them are life threatening. For *me* personally, if I were in that situation, *I* wouldnt get the MMR, particularly not while nursing. Now, considering you were probably a child last time you had it, the chances of you having immunity are low - so its a personal decision YOU need to make, and I would highly encourage researching before making any decision.
I believe the Rubella combination is a live strain (just did a quick search & everything backs that up so far that I've read). Some even suggest that the entire combination is live strain, which points to the potential to get it anyways. Also keep in mind, that part of the whole point of the vaccination is to lower your immune system so you can produce the necessary antibodies, which means if you DO get exposed the virus during the lowered immune system time (which is unknown how long that lasts), then you will be at an increased risk to catch it, despite recent immunization.
Theres obviously a lot of debate, not just over the usual, but also the levels of aluminum. Its not so much a problem when receiving the MMR on its own, or in single doses spread out though, which could be a viable option (you could also opt to receive only the vaccine for which you are at risk due to recent outbreaks).
Another option, which many parents are opting for, and I personally would consider - is natural exposure which leads to lifelong immunity, something no vaccine can offer. Its certainly not a choice for everyone, but I would prefer the low risk exposure during childhood (the newborn being breastfed is at an extremely low risk for contracting, but of course, if other kids in the house were to contract it, then it would increase the likelihood) that eliminated the worry in adulthood when most of these illnesses are more risky.
Another thing to consider in your decision is whether or not your children are in daycare (higher likelihood of exposure) or participate in playgroups.
I would research it, weigh all the factors, the risk of actually contracting it, the risks associated with contracting it for both yourself & your children, and the risks of receiving the vaccine.
A good book is "The Thoughtful Parents Guide to Vaccines".
It gives a breakdown by vaccine as well - laying out the illness, side effects, what you might have to deal with, worst case, best case, options for vaccinating, pros, cons, etc.
See I figure since it is a few cities away, and I am a sahm mom that the chances of my children contacting it before they are due for their immunes are slim. I personally really dont care if I get it. I just didn't want to get it, end up in the hospital, and not be able to breastfeed. I can only immagine the fight that I would have to have to have my baby in the hospital if need be. That is something that probably wouldn't happen though. I will just let time tell and if it comes to Sheboygan here then I'll deal with it.