pacifier question

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2008, 09:41 AM
oholydonut
my daughter is now 5 wks old and i have been trying to feed her on demand instead of trying to force a schedule. but starting last week, not long after her first good feed of the morning she would start to get fussy and start rooting around again. so i was putting her back to my breast but she would never nurse for more than 2 min. or so then push away when i started to let down and be fussy. so then i would calm her down and she would be quiet/maybe sleep for 30-45 minutes then start rooting again and then shove away and start the whole cycle all over again. after doing this all day, my breasts never seemed to be able to build back up enough supply to give her another good long feed. and needless to say, after a few days of this i was going absolutely batty. and serisouly questioning how long i would be able to continue breastfeeding.

fast forward to a few days ago, when in a moment of desperation i popped a pacifier a friend had given me into her mouth. after suckling on it viciously for a bit, she nodded off and slept for 3.5 hours! so now, after she gets in 10 minutes of good nursing, and i start to notice she is doing the little sucks and getting fussy, i take her off the breast and give her the pacifier until she falls alseep. and have now been trying to make sure to keep her off the breast for at least 2 hours or so, until i am full enough and she is hungry enough to have a good feed again, instead of a million little snacky ones.

am i doing a bad thing?? i have to admit, it has made things around here a lot more sane. my mom says that some baby's just suck more than others, lol. i am pretty sure she is getting enough, because she still pees a lot and usually poops once a day. but i was always hesitant to use a pacifier, and stil am not 100% confident. anyone else btdt? i guess i should mention that we are also dealing with thrush, and hysterical screaming fits attributed to gas...
April 17th, 2008, 10:00 AM
jenn2350's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
my daughter is now 5 wks old and i have been trying to feed her on demand instead of trying to force a schedule. but starting last week, not long after her first good feed of the morning she would start to get fussy and start rooting around again. so i was putting her back to my breast but she would never nurse for more than 2 min. or so then push away when i started to let down and be fussy. so then i would calm her down and she would be quiet/maybe sleep for 30-45 minutes then start rooting again and then shove away and start the whole cycle all over again. after doing this all day, my breasts never seemed to be able to build back up enough supply to give her another good long feed. and needless to say, after a few days of this i was going absolutely batty. and serisouly questioning how long i would be able to continue breastfeeding.

fast forward to a few days ago, when in a moment of desperation i popped a pacifier a friend had given me into her mouth. after suckling on it viciously for a bit, she nodded off and slept for 3.5 hours! so now, after she gets in 10 minutes of good nursing, and i start to notice she is doing the little sucks and getting fussy, i take her off the breast and give her the pacifier until she falls alseep. and have now been trying to make sure to keep her off the breast for at least 2 hours or so, until i am full enough and she is hungry enough to have a good feed again, instead of a million little snacky ones.

am i doing a bad thing?? i have to admit, it has made things around here a lot more sane. my mom says that some baby's just suck more than others, lol. i am pretty sure she is getting enough, because she still pees a lot and usually poops once a day. but i was always hesitant to use a pacifier, and stil am not 100% confident. anyone else btdt? i guess i should mention that we are also dealing with thrush, and hysterical screaming fits attributed to gas...[/b]

I know around that time DS made me feel like I was a human pacifier. He would suck all day every day hungry or not. Eventually I did give him a paci just because I didn't know what else to do. I know at that time nursing is still being established and constant feeding is helpful to adjusting your supply.

Now he uses the paci some, mostly at night until he falls asleep, but for the most part he is not dependent on it and doesn't take it at all sometimes.

There are babies that just constantly love to suck. Even after DS falls asleep while nursing he continues the sucking motion with his mouth even though there is no nipple around any more. I think this is a personal decision and as long as baby seems content after feedings and has the right amount of weight gain and diapers there isn't a problem.

April 17th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my son Hayden was the same way and a pacifier saved us, he now sucks is thumb and is weaning himself off the pacifier and nurses every 2 1/2 to 3 hours.....just do what works for you

good luck

April 18th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
lurking from the June DDC, you may have heard this before, but it definately made me feel better to use a paci with ds--there is a good amount of legitimate research that says there's a correlation between using pacis at night and lowering sids, as well as lowering ear infections. Just something I thought might help you feel ok

April 18th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Snowpeas
My dd never used a pacifier but not for my lack of trying! She just wouldn't take one. There were definitely times I wouldn't have minded popping it in her mouth for a little bit - some days she would really feel the need to suck and would get mad when my milk would let down. She still uses me as a human pacifier some days but it's gotten a lot better.
April 18th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Beaker's Avatar My boys are adorable
If it has been 5 weeks of good nursing then I think it is fine to introduce a pacifier. It's true, some babies love to suck!

Earn giftcards and more with Swagbucks!

April 19th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like you've found what works for you! Thanks so much for posting, I thought that pacifiers were a big nono but it's good to know that they can be useful too (introduced at the right time, not right away of course).

April 21st, 2008, 06:08 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
my girls didnt take a paci, no matter what size or which I tried.

My son couldnt keep his little hands out of his mouth and seemed so desperate for his thumb at 3 days old!! We gave him a paci and he loves it. I can tell when he wants me vs wanting the paci, even if its to comfort nurse.. so I dont miss out on that necessarily by using the paci.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

April 21st, 2008, 08:34 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
at 5 weeks, its probably going to be ok. I will say, im not a huge paci advocate, Im pretty anti-paci, but even still, my own DD takes one lol.

If she will nurse to sleep, let her. If she wont - and she prefers the paci, thats ok. My DD would get MAD when shed suck & get milk when all she wanted was to suck & Sleep lol.

Watch out for signs of nipple confusion of course, and dont confuse extra sucking with the 6 week growth spurt youre coming up on. I would encourage nursing as much as possible then, if this isnt it.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 21st, 2008, 10:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My kids all used pacifiers because they needed something to suck on and especially after the first kid I just couldn't sit there all day and let them use me as a paci. That being said, in all three cases, I took the pacifiers away as soon as they were able to get their thumbs to their mouths (DD1 at about 5 months, DS at about 3 months and DD2 at about 4 months.) I just waited until the day that they nodded off without the paci and at that point, once they had done it once, I just never gave it back to them. It was rough for a day or two, but better in the end, I think.

April 21st, 2008, 01:36 PM
oholydonut
thanks so much for all the replies. i think i am at the point where i can tell the difference between when she wants to suck vs. when she is hungry. she can spit that pacifier 3 feet, i swear!
she also gets mad and screams when my milk lets down and she wants to just suck. babies... what can ya do?

thanks again guys!
April 21st, 2008, 07:30 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
as long as you aren't using the binkie instead of feeding her on a regular basis it's not terrible. it can be handy to delay a bit if you can't nurse, but not instead of a feeding. it sounds like you know what you're doing!!

but yes, look out for the growth spurt coming up. She will need to eat a lot then and will get pretty fussy. I just went through the 3 month spurt with my girl, it lasted almost 2 weeks!@#$!$#

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search