14 months and counting

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Super Mommy
This has probably been posted many times but when is it a good age after 1 year to call it quits for bf? I still love it and so does she but I don't want it to be like people snickering saying "she's still bfing!"

my girls
April 18th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I feel like if I weaned her, it would be difficult on her. The only way to do it is to tell her no, when she asks to nurse and I can't do that. I will let her self-wean whenever she decides to. There's really no set point, I believe the WHO organization recommends breastfeeding until at least the age of 2. All children will wean when they are ready though. I do face a lot of criticism at times, from family, even DH, especially now that I'm pregnant. They keep telling me "Now is a good time to wean, otherwise Abby will be jealous when the new baby comes" I know it's not true and my motherly instinct tells me that whether she weans now (on her own) or not, she will still react with jealousy to the new baby. There's no reason to force her to do something she'll be uncomfortable with and have a hard time with.

Expecting baby #4!

April 18th, 2008, 06:52 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi!!!

As long as you both (you & baby) are on the same page, and its a mutual thing - then I see no reason to rush it personally. A "good time" to wean is when one or both of you are no longer happy with the situation. Other people may have their opinions, but in that case - theres ALWAYS someone - even if baby is 6 months! I had people asking me when I was going to wean starting as early as 3 months! It increased again at 6 months & then when she was 9 months, and finally at a year. i finally told people to quit asking!

Now that my daughter is 18 months, she still nurses, but its rarely during the day. Shes so "busy" now, and she really only nurses at night, so it doesnt really come up around other people anymore, unless THEY ask of course. And the people that are brave enough to ask well.... lol... they have it coming I just tell them "yes, shes still nursing, mostly at night, but still nursing". Anytime they give me looks or make comments - i figure if theyre brave enough & brash enough to criticize my parenting & mothering to my face, then they can take any comments I have for them. They certainly aren't concerned for my feelings, so I return the favor. I'm polite - but I inform them that the AAP says breastfeeding should be continued BEYOND a year as long as the mother & child want to & the world health organization (WHO) recommends breastfeeding for at LEAST 2 years. The old suggestions of 6 months & a year have gone by the wayside as experts see that breastfeeding at least 2 yrs is really optimal.

So - honestly - I cant say whats a good time for you. I personally cant imagine telling my daughter NO she cant nurse when I know she loves it, it comforts her, it soothes her, its our special bonding time, and its something we both enjoy so much. Now that shes old enough to understand, I do explain that sometimes she has to wait until we can sit down or get to a quiet place (she wont nurse with a lot going on). Shes perfectly ok with that.

And hoenstly, I'm a huge NIP advocate, but now that she has to have a lot more peace & quiet, we rarely NIP anymore. So we dont get a lot of comments or looks. And I prefer it that way. Shes old enough that other peoples comments affect her too, and I dont want her to ever think theres anythign wrong with what shes doing. Plus it makes nursing more "our time" now

Youll know when its a good time for you. Shell also know when shes ready to wean.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search