Help!

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi, all. This is the first time I've posted here, even though I was intending to earlier.

I've been breastfeeding for a little over 3 weeks, and I hope to make it to 1 year with my little girl. The first week went by OK, even though I was recovering from a VERY unplanned c-section (I was at a free-standing birth center and had to be transferred to the hospital - 8 hours of pushing and she just didn't want to turn). Then the second week I started getting pain in my left breast and it looked like I had a milk blister. Then my right one started hurting. My midwives thought it was thrush, so I am just finishing up the pills and ointment for me, and mouth wash for her.

The thing is, I am still having major issues with my left breast. I think the thrush has cleared up, and I think it might be latch problems. On the lower portion of my nipple I have a bump (pinkinsh - same color is my nipple) that really hurts when she latches on, and in the football hold continues to hurt while she's sucking. I tried cross cradle for a while, which helped while she was sucking - still hurt a little at initial latch on, but then my carpal tunnel in my right hand started hurting horribly (pre-existing condition before pregnancy). I'm using Lasinoh lanolin every time after she nurses, but this bump just doesn't seem to want to get better or heal. I try to make sure she opens wide before I pop her on the breast. I've been in tears a couple times, it hurts so much.

She is a baby that is really into sucking and would like to use me as a pacifier all the time as well, which is REALLY hard when it hurts all the time on my left breast. We tried a pacifier for a couple days when we knew she was just tired and not hungry and just wanted to suck herself to sleep, but we stopped because that's when I started developing the thrush. We hope to reintroduce the paci at 4 weeks, as well as a bottle of breastmilk a day.

Any help or advice on how to heal this bump on my nipple would be much appreciated. It just seems like it doesn't want to heal at all because it is aggravated every time she sucks. If all else fails I will talk to the lactation consultant at the birth center (it's an hour drive away and I don't drive, and my husband has no vacation left because of all the time he took off with me in labor for 3 days and a week after the c-section), but I'm hoping you girls can help.

Thanks in advance!

April 18th, 2008, 08:40 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I had a milk blister a few weeks ago and my nipple is still recovering. I thought I had thrush after the blister but it turned out not to be. The pain gets less everyday though, and is almost totally gone.

I'm still really new at this myself too though, so I am sure there will be other responses with much better information. Did you check the kellymom site?

kellymom.
April 18th, 2008, 09:14 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is there a LC you can call for some hands on help?

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 18th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm still really new at this myself too though, so I am sure there will be other responses with much better information. Did you check the kellymom site?

kellymom.[/b]
I have looked at kellymom - I am thinking of trying the saline solution on my nipple soon.

April 18th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Is there a LC you can call for some hands on help?

Lala...[/b]
As I mentioned in my initial post, the LC at the birth center is an hour away (I don't drive and hubbie can't take more time off), and I wanted to see if I can get some advice from you girls before I tried to figure something out regarding a LC...I'd rather not try to find a local LC since I trust my midwives and the LC at the birth center so much.

If all advice fails, hopefully I can make it another 2 and a half weeks and see the LC when I have my 6 week postpartum checkup.

April 18th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like it very well could be a milk blister. How did the first one heal and did you do anything besides the thrush treatment for it?
I have gotten them on and off since DD was born, and I got to the point that it was easier and less painful to pop it myself rather than to wait for it pop while I was nursing. Within a few days of popping it, the pain had gone away and I felt much better. It sounds painful, but popping it actually isn't. I steralize a needle and insert it just enough so that I make a hole in the skin. It lets the fluid out and then it heals on it's own.
Milk blisters can also be a sign of thrush. They may reoccur until the thrush is successfully treated. Have you tried gentian violet for it?

Expecting baby #4!

April 19th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
It sounds like it very well could be a milk blister. How did the first one heal and did you do anything besides the thrush treatment for it?
I have gotten them on and off since DD was born, and I got to the point that it was easier and less painful to pop it myself rather than to wait for it pop while I was nursing. Within a few days of popping it, the pain had gone away and I felt much better. It sounds painful, but popping it actually isn't. I steralize a needle and insert it just enough so that I make a hole in the skin. It lets the fluid out and then it heals on it's own.
Milk blisters can also be a sign of thrush. They may reoccur until the thrush is successfully treated. Have you tried gentian violet for it?[/b]
The initial milk blister was a white bump. It eventually popped itself from Alexa nursing. That bump I could actually see the milk filled up in it after she fed (before it popped). This bump though isn't white and it doesn't have milk filled up in it. Even if I was sure if it was a milk blister, I am way too squeamish to pop it with a needle. Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I can do that!

I haven't tried gentian violet yet, and I'd be very lucky to find it anywhere near us. Yesterday was the last day for my nystatin ointment and the pills - I did that for 2 weeks. It's what makes me think it's not thrush anymore because the pain never really let up in my left breast.

I'm just so frustrated right now. I'm not even sure if I can make it longer than a month, let alone a year breastfeeding. I was so determined to do this before she was born, but now I'm just miserable whenever I have to nurse her. I love my little girl and I want to give her the best, but I'm quickly crumbling.

-Lori

April 19th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy

Thrush is very stubborn. Don't assume just because you finished the treatment it should go away. Many woman have to treat multiple times to get rid of thrush, especially when using Nystatin. You won't find the gentian violet if you don't try. I live in a very small town and one of our local pharmacies, and independantly owned one, carried it. I tried RiteAid first, and when they didn't have it, they called there for me, to see if they had it. You can also buy it online if you need to. Isn't it worth trying?
There's also many other things that need to be done to successful rid of thrush. Anything that touches your nipples (bras, nursing pads) or your baby's mouth (toys, pacifiers, bottle nipples, burp clothes, bibs) need to either be washed with vinegar or boiled each day (if used daily). Some mothers find they have to end up cutting out carbs and sugar to help rid it from thier system.
While you're at the pharmcey, you'll also want to get a probiotic, like acidophilus. This helps restore the good bacteria back into your system, to fight the thrush. Many woman find they have to take all of the above steps to see success in fighting thrush. Gentian violet is by far, the quickest and most effective way to get rid of it though. It works in just days, instead of weeks. Usually, you only have to treat for 3-4 days and it is gone.
It seems like a lot with a newborn, very overwhelming, but get the help of others if you can. Find the numbers to all your local pharmacies and have your husband call around today to find it. Also have him help you wash everything and boil everything that needs it. Start the gentian violet treatment as soon as you can. If it's thrush, you will feel relief within the first day or two.
Also, look through some of the links on this page, you should be able to find some helpful information and tips on treating thrush: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush...-resources.html

Expecting baby #4!

April 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

Thrush is very stubborn. Don't assume just because you finished the treatment it should go away. Many woman have to treat multiple times to get rid of thrush, especially when using Nystatin. You won't find the gentian violet if you don't try. I live in a very small town and one of our local pharmacies, and independantly owned one, carried it. I tried RiteAid first, and when they didn't have it, they called there for me, to see if they had it. You can also buy it online if you need to. Isn't it worth trying?
There's also many other things that need to be done to successful rid of thrush. Anything that touches your nipples (bras, nursing pads) or your baby's mouth (toys, pacifiers, bottle nipples, burp clothes, bibs) need to either be washed with vinegar or boiled each day (if used daily). Some mothers find they have to end up cutting out carbs and sugar to help rid it from thier system.
While you're at the pharmcey, you'll also want to get a probiotic, like acidophilus. This helps restore the good bacteria back into your system, to fight the thrush. Many woman find they have to take all of the above steps to see success in fighting thrush. Gentian violet is by far, the quickest and most effective way to get rid of it though. It works in just days, instead of weeks. Usually, you only have to treat for 3-4 days and it is gone.
It seems like a lot with a newborn, very overwhelming, but get the help of others if you can. Find the numbers to all your local pharmacies and have your husband call around today to find it. Also have him help you wash everything and boil everything that needs it. Start the gentian violet treatment as soon as you can. If it's thrush, you will feel relief within the first day or two.
Also, look through some of the links on this page, you should be able to find some helpful information and tips on treating thrush: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush...-resources.html[/b]
I have been washing my towels and bras everyday (OK, hubbie has been for me - heh), and I am also taking a probiotic each day (I was GBS positive, and with a super long labor I had over 7 treatments of antibiotics - a wide open door for the stupid thrush). I've also cut back on the sugar (until yesterday - I was so sick of just drinking water - lol). I will try the gentian violet if I can get my hands on some. And I guess after about 4 days I'll know if it's thrush or not that's still bothering me. I just hope whatever is wrong clears up.

Woohoo Walgreens carries it...looks like I'll be sending hubbie out for me...

April 19th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yay, that's great! I hope you are feeling better soon!

Expecting baby #4!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search