SEVERE nipple trauma

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok ladies, I need help. My little daughter, my angelic little baby, already has a full mouth of teeth (four on the bottom and two on top, with more coming any minute)and they are tearing up my right nipple. It is almost completely shredded, and every time she nurses it feels like a rusty saw the entire time she's on there. She prefers that side to the left side--I think my left side is blighted or something because neither she nor my son would nurse on that side--LOL. Anyway, the left side only produces about 10% of what the right side does because it has been neglected, so I can't really switch her to only nursing on that side. I am going to try to pump today to give the right side a break, but Baby is not good with a cup yet and usually won't take a bottle. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can heal, and how to handle nursing a piranha?

April 18th, 2008, 09:10 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm... couple questions for you.
Are you CERTAIN that its her biting down & scraping your nipple with her teeth thats the culprit?

It sounds a lot like thrush to me - and it *could* be a combination of things. And honestly, the things that treat thrush are generally good for treating any kind of open wound like that b/c its an antibacterial/antiseptic treatment.

Heres what I would suggest...

Treat for thrush - but start treatment lightly if you do have actual open wounds. the GV may sting a little in an open wound - but you can dilute it with water.

Also treat with neosporin, apply after she nurses. Pump as you planned to to help bring your supply up on the other side, and also try fenugreek to speed up the process. This may of course result in you having to pump a little on the damaged side since it produces fine it may get a little more full feeling

The neosporin will likely wear off from one feeding to the next, so there shouldnt be much worry about having to wipe clean. It will help with healing & with thrush if it is present. Take probiotics as a safe measure, theyre good to take anyways.

Finally - watch while she nurses. If you notice her actually biting - unlatch her. Put a clean finger in her mouth & see if shell suck your finger (nail bed down). If she will suck on it - watch to see how she latches - theyll usually latch the same way. Depending on her age, she may or may not cooperate at first with the finger sucking exercise. If you notice her using teeth on your finger as well, correct her. Make sure her tongue is stuck out slightly which will protect you from her bottom teeth. She should be latched on high enough that her top teeth arent on your nipple, but just above your areola. It may take some practice, though. If it feels too overwhelming - call the LLL or a LC (or both ideally), and theyll be able to give some hands on help

Also try different nursing positions - the football hold, etc - it will change how she latches, and what part of the nipple is being affected. It may help for the times you do nurse from that side & lessen the damage.

Hope that helps!

Keep me posted!

lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 18th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am pretty sure it is because of her top teeth--the place with the biggest sore is RIGHT where her first top tooth is. I have HUGE areolas, so she is not able to get the whole areola in her mouth, but up until about 10 days ago when the first top tooth came in, everything was fine--no pain, no shredded areas. It does help to change the way I hold her--I usually nurse laying down, but have tried sitting in the rocking chair with her and it helped until her tooth/teeth shredded a new area. I am really close to just giving up altogether but she is not good with a cup yet. Both DD1 and DS were already able to drink from a cup at this age but Baby is a little slow in that area (despite the fact that if she really wanted to eat a steak she could because she has enough teeth.)

What should I use to treat for thrush? I have never dealt with thrush before. I do have some neosporin--I actually have some prescription grade neosporin-type stuff. Should I use that?

April 18th, 2008, 10:00 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can apply the neosporin lightly for now. Twice a day or as you feel you need it. I would just caution against doing it *too* much.

Also call around & find a pharmacy that has gentian violet. Its sold OTC w/out a Rx, but kept behind the counter. Its an antiseptic basically so its good for wounds & kills thrush - so youll be killing two birds with one stone.

Does she have ANY signs of thrush? What does the damage to your nipple look like? is it just red? Scaley? Skin peeling? anything visible?

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 18th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
You can apply the neosporin lightly for now. Twice a day or as you feel you need it. I would just caution against doing it *too* much.

Also call around & find a pharmacy that has gentian violet. Its sold OTC w/out a Rx, but kept behind the counter. Its an antiseptic basically so its good for wounds & kills thrush - so youll be killing two birds with one stone.

Does she have ANY signs of thrush? What does the damage to your nipple look like? is it just red? Scaley? Skin peeling? anything visible?

Lala...[/b]
I really don't think it's thrush because she doesn't have any symptoms, and the problem came on RIGHT as her top tooth was coming in. The nipple has a couple of raw areas on the top, and the center is a little red. It actually feels more shredded than it looks. In the past few minutes I was able to pump about 3 ounces out of the right side, and she actually took it from a bottle--she wouldn't take a bottle from DH a few weeks ago and I didn't think she would take one from me, but I guess maybe she knows I'm the one that food is supposed to come from. Then I put her on to nurse on the left. If I can do that again this evening (she only nurses about 4 times a day, and gets cereal/fruits/vegs in between) maybe by tonight or tomorrow I'll be healed up. I have put on a little neosporin and a clean nursing pad so maybe that will be enough.

April 18th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have had similiar problems with DD. She leaves indents in my nipples where her top teeth are. It hurts like heck sometimes! I find that certain positions work better than others, like laying down, versus holding her. It has always been worse when she is teething too, there are times she comes very close to drawing blood when doing it. Experiment with different positions and see if anything helps.

Expecting baby #4!

April 18th, 2008, 07:13 PM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
Quote:
I have HUGE areolas, so she is not able to get the whole areola in her mouth[/b]
I too have huge ones, but I always make sure that she gets as much as possible in her mouth, whenever she just nurses on the nipple I get really sore.

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
April 19th, 2008, 10:36 AM
jentanne
I had a really bad crack on one of my nipples and I did the neosporin, lanolin and also before all of that I used salt water rinses. It was listed on one of the Kellymom links. I think it is 1/2 tsp to 1 cup of water.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search