Stupid stupid doctors and probiotics question

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM
jentanne
Ok, so I cannot find GV around here so I called my daughter's pediatrician. He called in some nystatin for her and I asked the nurse "what about me???" She acted like it didn't matter if I had it (and I have more symptoms than Anna)
She told me to make sure I run my bras throught the dryer twice. Also she said I guess I could call my doctor and see what he said.

Well, I was told to just use monistat or lotrimin (is one better than the other?) But at first when I said "my baby is being treated for thrush, I have symptoms to, what should I do" He asks... "in your mouth??" I was like NO, I am breastfeeding (moron). Are these people really this dumb? Would it make sense for me to treat baby and not myself?

Ok, now my real question. What exactly are probiotics and where will I find them in the drug store?
Also, does it matter if I use monitstat or lotrimin, is one better?
April 18th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oy vey! Doctors...
First, continue to call around and try to find gentian violet. It's the secret weapon against thrush and I would reccomend it over anything else. You can also order it online, here's one I just found: http://www.americarx.com/Products/12798.html
It will treat both of you, and quickly. Within a few days, I guarantee your thrush will be better, if not gone.
I wouldn't reccomend using the topical antifungal creams against thrush. I tried Lotramin myself and it didn't help at all. If you do try them, wipe them off before nursing, because it's unknown how it could affect the baby. I don't think it matters which, I was reccomended Lotramin, but Monistat would probably work too.
Here's a link on probiotics: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush...ing-thrush.html
I've always used acidophilus, which you can find at any store with a vitamin section, like a drugstore or Walmart, even. Health food stores carry any even better selection from what I hear though.

April 18th, 2008, 04:33 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Keep checking for Gentian Violet. Most Walmarts & Walgreens carry it behind the pharmacy counter. Also - mom & pop local Pharmacies are usually reliable places to find it as well.

Nystatin has a very low success rate & is known to even make it worse. Lotrimin AF (Make sure its AF) and monistat are equally good - they have the same active ingredients. Both work well for immediate nipple relief (it helped me tremendously) and for diaper rash from any yeast/thrush.

You really need to treat both you & baby otherwise itll simply pass back & forth. Unfortunately many moms get the same lousy advice you were given & end up battling it for weeks before either giving up BFing or finding out about GV and the treatments suggested on Kellymom.

BTW, just running it through the dryer twice wont do the trick either.

I posted the links earlier, do you wnat me to post them here as well?

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 19th, 2008, 10:05 AM
jentanne
No, I have the links. Thank you. By the way, how do you pronouce Gentian? Maybe I'm not saying it right. Although I would think they would know what I meant even if I was saying it wrong.

I was thinking it was jen-Nee-shan, but it doesn't really look like that, the I would need to be before the T....
April 19th, 2008, 12:31 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
Quote:
No, I have the links. Thank you. By the way, how do you pronouce Gentian? Maybe I'm not saying it right. Although I would think they would know what I meant even if I was saying it wrong.

I was thinking it was jen-Nee-shan, but it doesn't really look like that, the I would need to be before the T....[/b]
Here is a thing that will pronounce it for you. I think it is right but for some reason I always want to pronounce it like you do. lol

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
April 19th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Quote:
But at first when I said "my baby is being treated for thrush, I have symptoms to, what should I do" He asks... "in your mouth??" I was like NO, I am breastfeeding (moron). Are these people really this dumb?[/b]
my pharmasist said the same thing as i've talked to them about bf thrush on more than one occasion! i think they are really that dumb!!!

good luck, hope your battle is quick and painless.
April 19th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had thrush earlier when I was nursing Loren, around 2 months, and the dr. totally dismissed it. She said he didn't have any symptoms, so she wouldn't do anything about me, even though I was having shooting pains and tingling through my nipples. I only used probiotics and in about a week it cleared up. I bought some refrigerated probiotics at a healthfood store and took 3-4 pills a day for about 2 weeks. It's okay to take more than it says on the bottle. They were refrigerated and supposed to be higher bacteria count and more viable, but you can find the acidophilus at the vitamin section of any grocery store or Walmart too.
April 20th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Meegan
My baby and I have thrush too, AND I have it in my mouth as well, so maybe that's why they ask you? Who knows lol. I've been searching for GV and haven't been able to find it, and the nystatin isn't working for me as far as I can see.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search