Breastfeeding and going back to school???

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LynzB
Hi ladies!
I recently found out I am pregnant and am due in December! I have to return to school the second week of January. I want to breastfeed my baby with all of my heart. I will have about two weeks off with the baby and then have to return to school part time. My questions are:

1. Will I be able to pump w/i those two weeks to get up enough supply so DH can do feedings when I am not home?
2. If DH bottle feeds him/her when I am away will the baby go back on the breast when I want to feed w/o a bottle?

I am open to all suggestions and tips! I do however have no choice but to go back to school at that time. Thanks ladies!
April 19th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am/was in the same boat. I went back two weeks after having my little girl (I graduate this semester so there was no way I wasn't finishing this semester) but I only have class first twice a week and now once a week all day. You can pump enough to get by you will just have to start as soon as your milk comes in, I had a LC who guided me as to which day I should start pumping and such. So for the first week we just let her breastfeed and then I started pumping the next week. How often will you be in class and for how long? As for your question about confusion, Lauren would get a little confused but I would just keep trying to get her to take the breast right until she got it (only took a few tries and she was fine). It wasn't really an issue. Some babies are probably harder but, I would not stress it too much if it is what you need to do.
April 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I am/was in the same boat. I went back two weeks after having my little girl (I graduate this semester so there was no way I wasn't finishing this semester) but I only have class first twice a week and now once a week all day. You can pump enough to get by you will just have to start as soon as your milk comes in, I had a LC who guided me as to which day I should start pumping and such. So for the first week we just let her breastfeed and then I started pumping the next week. How often will you be in class and for how long? As for your question about confusion, Lauren would get a little confused but I would just keep trying to get her to take the breast right until she got it (only took a few tries and she was fine). It wasn't really an issue. Some babies are probably harder but, I would not stress it too much if it is what you need to do.[/b]
I will be in class on M and F- 9-1
Clinical T and W from 6-2

Thank you for the response. I think I will just do my best to pump on my clinical days and maybe once while gone to my 9-1 class.

Congrats on your little girl! That picture of you both makes me teary eyed!!!
April 19th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
First of all, CONGRATS on your pregnancy!! I wish you a happy and healthy 9 months! I am in the December 07 playroom... Dec babies rock

I introduced bottles early with both my kids, and neither of them ever had one bit of confusion... BUT some babies are different. I would just let him or her nurse nurse nurse those first few days until your milk comes in. If you pump too much, you will create an oversupply and your baby won't be able to handle all that milk. So let nature take it's course. Plus the first few days you'll have colostrum which I personally can't imagine pumping and storing.. it's essential to baby in the days before you get your milk in. So don't pump right away.

You will find a good schedule that works out for you guys. Once you're back in class, If you can pump between classes, then store the milk in an insulated cooler until you get home.. milk is good at room temp for about 4-6 hours, and if it's in an insulated cooler in contact with ice packs it's good for about 24 hours.

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

April 19th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I see that you are in clinicals. Are you going to school for nursing?
April 19th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I see that you are in clinicals. Are you going to school for nursing?[/b]
Yes I will soon be completing my 3rd year of my BSN. I will graduate next spring (May 2009) and take the NCLEX that summer. This fall I take Pediatric Nursing and OB! How exciting will that be?? I will be waddling around my OB clinic 7 mo. preggo, haha!

Quote:
First of all, CONGRATS on your pregnancy!! I wish you a happy and healthy 9 months! I am in the December 07 playroom... Dec babies rock

I introduced bottles early with both my kids, and neither of them ever had one bit of confusion... BUT some babies are different. I would just let him or her nurse nurse nurse those first few days until your milk comes in. If you pump too much, you will create an oversupply and your baby won't be able to handle all that milk. So let nature take it's course. Plus the first few days you'll have colostrum which I personally can't imagine pumping and storing.. it's essential to baby in the days before you get your milk in. So don't pump right away.

You will find a good schedule that works out for you guys. Once you're back in class, If you can pump between classes, then store the milk in an insulated cooler until you get home.. milk is good at room temp for about 4-6 hours, and if it's in an insulated cooler in contact with ice packs it's good for about 24 hours.[/b]
Thank you for all the helpful information! I never realized breast milk could keep that long w/o being frozen! I was worried I was going to have to put my breast milk in the staff fridge at the hospital, lol.

April 20th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, since you are in nursing that actually could make your life a lot easier. I am sure the faculty and staff will try their best to work with your pumping schedule since you will need to pump when your baby would feed so you don't mess up your supply. I would bet that the school has a breastfeeding/pumping room and if not that they will find a vacant office or somewhere private for you to do it. I am also in nursing school (finishing my BSN too) and the faculty has bent over backwards to help me. Especially the women's health/peds faculty. If you have any problems or just need support while juggling school and the baby or being pregnant PM me. I know exactly what you are going to be going through.
April 20th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Well, since you are in nursing that actually could make your life a lot easier. I am sure the faculty and staff will try their best to work with your pumping schedule since you will need to pump when your baby would feed so you don't mess up your supply. I would bet that the school has a breastfeeding/pumping room and if not that they will find a vacant office or somewhere private for you to do it. I am also in nursing school (finishing my BSN too) and the faculty has bent over backwards to help me. Especially the women's health/peds faculty. If you have any problems or just need support while juggling school and the baby or being pregnant PM me. I know exactly what you are going to be going through.[/b]
Thank you so much for your kind words. Its nice to see a Nursing school student mommy doing it!!! You'll be my inspiration

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search