Question about nursing at 18 months

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2008, 10:19 PM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
I know that you are still nursing your 18 month old. I was just a little curious about that. How often do you nurse? Do you have to keep your supply up with herbs and such? When you pump how much do you get? Do you sometimes go a couple days without nursing and then resume normally? Do you ever spend days away from her and if so how does she do without you?

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
April 20th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you mind if I share some of what I've experienced? I hope you don't mind me replying.
Abigail is 21 months now. She nurses about 3 times a day, on average. In the morning when we first get up, for her nap, then again before bed. At this point, a supply is well established, so there's no need to keep it up, unless you pump and need help with your supply for that reason. She's still at the point that she nurses everyday, so we've never gone several days between nursing. I am planning a trip with my mom for a weekend, sometime before this baby is born. I have heard that this is usually possible by this age, although I'm not sure if I'll have to pump to keep my supply up.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

April 20th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
hope you don't mind me answering, with my experience

I nursed my daughter until she was 18.5 months old. I was pregnant so I think that is why she stopped. I was only nursing her at night for about the last month that we nursed. She did not even ask during the day unless she got hurt. She was fine being away from me during the day, but at night she had to be with mommy. She could stay the night somewhere, but she had a really hard time with it, so we didn't do that very often at all. I quit pumping when she was about 9 months old. She almost never took a bottle anyways.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

April 20th, 2008, 01:25 PM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm sorry! I welcome ALL responses. Maybe I should go change the title! Thanks for answering.

I guess this leads to more questions for me... is it for nutritional value? Bonding? How much milk do you think she gets each time? Do you think it makes them less independent? I have never thought of going past a year, but I am just curious about it now.

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
April 20th, 2008, 06:05 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! Sorry for the late reply - its been a crazy weekend & I'll try to be thorough but I'm juggling dinner & crazy kids lol.

How often do you nurse?
It varies from day to day - usually once in the morning and then maybe once in the afternoon & then again to put her to bed. If I worked late, or have been gone alot shell nurse more often.

Do you have to keep your supply up with herbs and such?
Nope.

When you pump how much do you get?
Ive quit pumping all together but on the rare occasions I do I usually get no more than 4 ounces.

Do you sometimes go a couple days without nursing and then resume normally?
Nah - at the very elast she nurses in the morning & evening - sometimes she skips the afternoon "winding down" nursing, but never the morning or night time nursing

Do you ever spend days away from her and if so how does she do without you?
Nope. I do spend quite a bit of time away, but no overnights so far. Even withotu nursing, I'm not sure I'd leave her overnight yet lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
is it for nutritional value?
Yes, much of the reason is for nutritional value - nutrients & antibodies actually increase in toddlerhood

Bonding?
Yep!

Honestly, a lot of the reason we are still nursing is b/c i know she enjoys it, i enjoy it, its good for her, and its going so well i cant imagine telling her no (which is what it would require for her to wean at this point). Also, given the research ive done theres so much evidence that humans were made to nurse until at least the age of 2 and it feels natural.

How much milk do you think she gets each time?
It depends. Sometimes its just a snack. shell just come to "touch base". THen shes off again. other times I know shes getting quite a bit b/c i can feel my let down. Shel pop off, let it hit her in the face, giggle & go back to nursing. I can hear her gulping, etc. Shes never never really taken bottles bigger than 4 - 5 ounces, so im gonna *guess* its in that range

Do you think it makes them less independent? oh definitely not. If anything - more independent. she IS The definition of independent lol. She insists on doing everything BY HERSELF with no help. It can be a great trait but soometimes thats her downfall too lol. I think thats wha ta lot of the 'touching base' nursing is about though. Shell come, nurse for a second, it reassures her im still there, and shes off again. Never clingy, but i think thats b/c she knows im around. Make sense?

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 20th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
Quote:
is it for nutritional value?
Yes, much of the reason is for nutritional value - nutrients & antibodies actually increase in toddlerhood

Bonding?
Yep!

Honestly, a lot of the reason we are still nursing is b/c i know she enjoys it, i enjoy it, its good for her, and its going so well i cant imagine telling her no (which is what it would require for her to wean at this point). Also, given the research ive done theres so much evidence that humans were made to nurse until at least the age of 2 and it feels natural.[/b]

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

April 21st, 2008, 08:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I love the bonding we get when nursing. I honestly don't think I would see her much during the day if she didn't want to nurse!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search