Gentian Violet

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've done one day of the gentian violet so far. Is it supposed to get worse before it gets better? It's hurting even more now when she latches and it stings/burns the entire time she's sucking now. My right breast has even developed a little bump (like the one my left breast has had for a while) and that one used to be way less painful. I'm to the point where I dread nursing her - I cry every time she nurses. I am miserable, and my carpal tunnel in my right hand isn't helping at all - the hand is all stiff and swollen.

I'm so afraid I'm going to give in and stop breastfeeding because I'm in so much pain. I feel like a failure already. I didn't get the birth I wanted, and breastfeeding was the last big thing that I had planned to do, and now it seems I might not even be able to do that. Argh, I wish the pain would just go away!

-Lori

April 20th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy

I don't remember, we had thrush so long ago, but it definitely could get worse before getting better. I do remember having some good days and some bad. Sometimes it would hurt an entire feeding, others it would feel better after a minute. Hang in there sweetie!
April 20th, 2008, 06:42 AM
oholydonut
i am also dealing with thrush right now, so just wanted to say that i feel your pain!
are you doing anything besides the gentian violet? i haven't tried that yet, but i have been using the antibiotic ointment for me and a little of the drops for her and it's not gone, but it has decreased the pain a bit. also be sure to let your nipples breathe as much as possible.

i am also taking acidophilis and not eating any carbs/sugar for at least a week. starting yesterday... it took a week of the thrush still not going away for me to finally be able to do this one. its really really hard when all you want to eat is cake!! needless to say, i am not the happiest camper right now...

i hope that it clears up for you soon. just know that you are doing a great job and don't be discouraged. hang in there!!
April 20th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It is normal. I am also using the gentian violet but I don't think that I have as bad of a case of thrush as you. But from everything I read it is common for it to feel worse before it gets better.
April 20th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
i am also dealing with thrush right now, so just wanted to say that i feel your pain!
are you doing anything besides the gentian violet? i haven't tried that yet, but i have been using the antibiotic ointment for me and a little of the drops for her and it's not gone, but it has decreased the pain a bit. also be sure to let your nipples breathe as much as possible.

i am also taking acidophilis and not eating any carbs/sugar for at least a week. starting yesterday... it took a week of the thrush still not going away for me to finally be able to do this one. its really really hard when all you want to eat is cake!! needless to say, i am not the happiest camper right now...

i hope that it clears up for you soon. just know that you are doing a great job and don't be discouraged. hang in there!![/b]
I had just finished 2 weeks worth of a prescribed pills and nystatin ointment for me, and nystatin mouth rinse for her. Also been taking Floragen probiotic for over 2 weeks, and I tried to cut down on my simple sugars...if I cut out all carbs, I wouldn't be eating hardly anything (we eat a lot of potatoes). I try to let my nipples air out after every feeding, and for at least an hour after I shower. The gentian violet is my last hope.

-Lori

April 20th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Meegan
Another thrush victim here, I feel your pain. I am on Diflucan and Nystatin cream and DS is on the drops, though I keep forgetting to give them to him at night when he's sleeping. I haven't been able to find the gentian violet anywhere yet, but I hope it works soon for you!!
April 20th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I don't have any advice but just wanted to say that I feel your pain too. Hang in there, I hope it gets better soon.
April 20th, 2008, 11:54 AM
oholydonut
Quote:
I had just finished 2 weeks worth of a prescribed pills and nystatin ointment for me, and nystatin mouth rinse for her. Also been taking Floragen probiotic for over 2 weeks, and I tried to cut down on my simple sugars...if I cut out all carbs, I wouldn't be eating hardly anything (we eat a lot of potatoes). I try to let my nipples air out after every feeding, and for at least an hour after I shower. The gentian violet is my last hope.

-Lori[/b]
oh crap, i'm so sorry. the only other thing i can think of is my sister told me garlic pills work well against yeast. maybe try that too?

i really hope the gentian violet does the trick!
April 20th, 2008, 08:48 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There is still hope.

There are two things thta come to mind.

First - how often & how much gentian are you using _ whats the % of the solution?

second - get some lotrimin af & start applying that to your nipples twice a day - apply it AFTER a feeding & it should be absorbed by the next nursing session.

Did I give you the links for thrush treatment already?

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 21st, 2008, 07:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
There is still hope.

There are two things thta come to mind.

First - how often & how much gentian are you using _ whats the % of the solution?

second - get some lotrimin af & start applying that to your nipples twice a day - apply it AFTER a feeding & it should be absorbed by the next nursing session.

Did I give you the links for thrush treatment already?

Lala...[/b]
I am using it once a day, after my shower, I swab it on my nipples with a qtip and let it dry, then right before Alexa nurses I have her suck for a few seconds on a qtip dipped in it. It's a 1% solution.

After yesterday's treatment my nipples actually didn't feel as bad as the night before.

I have read the LLI and kellymom's thrush treatment information, plus I have my handout from my midwives.

I still have a bunch of the Nystatin ointment, but I think it was drying my nipples out too much. Right now, I'm not even sure if it's thrush anymore that's bothering me. So, I'm just going to keep with the gentian violet for the next few days, then I think I'll try pumping my left breast to give the bump a better chance to heal, since I want to introduce a bottle of breastmilk sometime this weekend anyhow.

Now I just need to see if Alexa will let me take a shower today -lol! So much easier on the weekend when my hubbie can watch her while I shower - heh.

-Lori

April 21st, 2008, 09:01 AM
Honestly - the nystatin is useless. It has an extremely low success rate (far lower than gentian) and also is known to make it worse b/c it contains sugar, which thrush thrives off of. A round of nystatin usually delays treatment, and ends up iwth it systemic before its all over with. Not to mention most strains are now resistant to nystatin.

With gentian - Id encourage using it twice a day at least, but no more than 3 times a day. I usually treated the first day with 3 applications, the second day with 2, and the last day with 1. Never use it for more than 4 days though.

This usually knocks it out IF Youre also diligent about treating it all the way - boiling bras & binkys & bottles and anything else that comes ni contact. Add a tsp of vinegar to the water, and make sure it boils a full 5 mins. Cut out as much sugar as possible, esp. simple sugars. And do 3 probiotics a day for a week, then 2 a day for another week, then 1 a day for another 2 weeks. Treat baby with probiotics once a day for at least a week as well

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 21st, 2008, 12:46 PM
oholydonut
Quote:
This usually knocks it out IF Youre also diligent about treating it all the way - boiling bras & binkys & bottles and anything else that comes ni contact. Add a tsp of vinegar to the water, and make sure it boils a full 5 mins. Cut out as much sugar as possible, esp. simple sugars. And do 3 probiotics a day for a week, then 2 a day for another week, then 1 a day for another 2 weeks. Treat baby with probiotics once a day for at least a week as well

Lala...[/b]
maybe this is a dumb question, but if i am wearing disposable nursing pads and changing them fairly frequently, do i still need to do the bra boiling?
April 21st, 2008, 03:31 PM
Yep!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>
April 21st, 2008, 03:43 PM
oholydonut
crap!

thanks
April 21st, 2008, 04:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I applied the gentian violet 2-3 times a day when we had thrush. I started with 3 and as I felt relief, I decreased to 2 times a day.

I took garlic pills when we had thrush also, I have no idea if it helped or worked, but it could be worth a try. They do make a no-odor type, so you're no burping up garlic for a week. There's also a vinegar rinse you can do one your nipples, I'll have to see if I can find the link.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search