Trying to wean off of the shield

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2008, 03:56 PM
~Lindsay~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So my daughter has been nursing on the shield for 5 weeks, and before that the hospital talked me into pumping the colostrum and feeding her that with formula. (I want to kick them all in their shins now...)

But I was doing a lot of research on the web and found that using the nipple shield can cause long term damage to your nipples. So now I am all worried and trying to wean her off of it. Holy crap, I can only take so much of her screaming at me before I cave and put it back on. I have flat nipples, well they aren't totally flat, but to give you an idea they only fill like 1/4th of the nipple shield. So going from the shield to this is going to be a problem. She gets so angry that she doesn't get it the same way as the shield, so I don't know exactly what to do. I started the 3 day sabbatical, but I really have no patience for this for the next 2.5 days. My husband told me to go take a shower and try to relax. But how are you supposed to relax when you have someone screaming at you? Ugh. If it wasn't a risk to me, I would probably just continue using it because she is gaining enough weight, has enough wet/dirty diapers.

Does anyone have any wisdom you would like to give? I didn't realize this would be so hard. ###### my little unperky nipples....

April 20th, 2008, 05:00 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
From what Iunderstand, the risk of slow/low weight gain with baby is actually a bigger risk than damage to your nipples. For now, personally I wouldnt worry too much about it.

Snuggle her skin to skin as much as possible, try slipping the shield out once shes got the mlk flowing rather than trying it without the shield at the very beginning, etc. It will take some time. Also - a lot of moms say they get baby to latch on the first time in the middle of the night just by accident

Another suggestion - call a LC & get in touch with LLL & Start attending meetings. Other moms who have BTDT will have valuable advice & will be able to empathize with you

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 20th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I got her to latch on when she had her eyes shut. haha makes me want to blindfold her! hahaha jk!

I know she is capable of it, thats what makes it so stressful.

I was looking at the LLL meetings, and they have series. What does that mean? Its series 1-4. The next one is in a few weeks, and its a series 3. Am I ok attending that one?

Thanks for your advice Lala.

April 20th, 2008, 05:16 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The series thing is just b/c they rotate topics - there are 4 of them. I forget which ones are which, but they always address a wider range than just the topic & use part of the time to help new moms so youll be good attending any meeting

BTW, i forgot to add earlier, most moms "magic time" for wenaing off the shield seems to be b/w 6 & 8 weeks. Give it time, but a LC will also be able to help

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 20th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
I have to say I used them with my son for 3 1/2 months with NO problems. He was 95%ile on the growth charts.. I had a great supply, and my nipples are doing great lol.. infact my daughter doesn't even need a shield.

The only reason I stopped using shields with DS was because I was too lazy to go clean one at night LOL! So I just kept popping him on without a shield and eventually he just started latching on. At every feeding, start without a shield and see if she will latch. If not, use the shield for a bit, then try taking it off again mid-session. Just keep making her try to latch on... practice makes perfect

Good luck!!

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

April 20th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Well I have good news, I waited until she was hungry. I put on those Ameda Breast Shells to pull them out. When she was finally ready I didn't put the shield on, and she took it without a problem. She ate from that side for 15 mins and at the very end she spit up! Now she is asleep again. haha yay!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search