I am desperate.

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2008, 08:47 PM
IneedCoffee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am in tears. Have been most the day, which probably isnt helping. For the past week (first week back to work) my milk supply has dropped.. a little every day. I have been eating my oatmeal, got off bcp's, drinking water.. and taken fenugreek off and on. The day I took it full force, Meghan had a horrible stomach ache, and was rejecting my breasts... so I cut back on fenugreek.

I am scared that my BF'ing is over.. and I dont want it to be. I am back at work, so the sabatical is out. What else can I do??

I have been thinking so hard on what to do to make it better, I wonder if there is anything I am doing that is making it worse? Are there foods that are not good for milk supply? I am sick (sinus infection).. so that isnt helping. But I really really am desperate and willing to try anything. I have her bottles made for daycare tomorrow.. and only 6 oz left in the freezer. If I don't produce 12 oz in tomorrows 3 pumps, I will have to supplement.

I have only been getting about 2-4 oz per pump.. and tonight, our last pump of the night I got 2 oz.

I breastfeed anytime we are together.. and only pump while at work and after she has gone to bed.

I appreciate any advice anyone might have.

My Blog
April 21st, 2008, 06:38 AM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
First of all {{hugs}}. I know that panic feeling. You are going to be just fine. I have been there crying, not knowing what to do about a BF issue.

I know that when I am sick my supply dips a bit as well. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Do you also have mothers milk tea? Also, make sure you are drinking a ton of water. For me I can tell a huge difference when I don't drink enough water. Try adding that and see if it helps.

Keep us posted and don't give up! I am sure some other ladies may have some suggestions as well.

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
April 21st, 2008, 07:36 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Give it time - this is almost certainly a temporary thing. Gradually work up to the 9- 12 fenugreek a day, I think ti could have been something else that caused the tummy ache,but anything is possible.

On the weekend, or whenever you have free time - try the sabbatical. Even just in the evenings - do it. itll just take a bit longer

Hang in there, dont giveu p just yet... take it one day at a time, and in a week, things will almost certainly be turning up.

Are you taking anythign for your sinus problems?

Lala....

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 21st, 2008, 08:22 AM
The doctor put me on Amoxoicillin for the sinus infection.. and recommended Sudafed PE for the drainage and cough. I just started both last night. I just finished my first oatmeal bowl for the day and am on glass #2 of water (32oz each). I also brought a burp cloth with some baby lotion on it.. it smells like my Meghan. So hopefully that will help with letdown a bit. I will not give up! She would probably be just fine going to a bottle.. but i'm not. Im the one with attachment issues.

Thank you ladies for the help.
Any idea where to get MOther's Milk Tea?

My Blog
April 21st, 2008, 08:52 AM
Just a warning - sudafed will dry up your supply as well Try guaffinessin to release the mucous It will HELP with supply. ANything that releases mucous is ok, anything that dries up sinuses will dry up milk. Sinus ducts & milk ducts are much the same & medication will affect both the same way.

Mothers milk tea - usually at health food stores but our local publix carries it as well in the organic section & the tea section

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 21st, 2008, 09:45 AM
Thank you.. I had no idea about the Sudafed.

Another question.. What is and where to get guaffinessin ( i had to scroll up 4x to check the spelling on that word..LOL) ?

Thanks!!

My Blog
April 21st, 2008, 10:02 AM
My spelling may not be right lol.

Its an OTC med - its actually the primary ingredient in most expectorants Ask the pharmacist (pronounced two ways that I've heard _ gwaff-in-ess-in and gwaff-eena-sin _ its a funky word but theyll know what youre referring to. I think mucinex is a good one from what i've heard but you may want to double check. Also - walgreens carries something called "Mucous release" that works well.

All it does is thin the secretions. alot of girls TTCing use it b/c it helps them produce more cervical fluid lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>
April 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM
How long do you typically need to take fenugreek to see a change? And how long is it recommended to keep taking it?

My Blog
April 21st, 2008, 10:11 AM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
You mentioned taking the smell of baby to help with your let down. Another thing that helps me with my let down is taking a deep breath and letting all the tension out of my shoulders. SOunds weird, but it always works (after a bit of stimulation).

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
April 21st, 2008, 10:49 AM
The fenugreek CAN take up to 7 - 10 days in some women. A small % of women dont respond to it - and with those women, its best to combine it with blessed thistle

Youll know its starting to get into your system when you smell like maple syrup

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>
April 21st, 2008, 11:27 AM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
I hope you are having a better pumping day today! I recently returned to work as well and I know how hard it can be. My milk supply varies each day and when I am stressed I definitely see a dip. To help with letdown I look at pics of my LO on my cell phone. I also have a few videos with audio that really help. After I get going I go with the distraction technique and play games on my phone or with my PSP. Drinking lots of water helps big time!! Do you have a hands free set up??? That also makes a huge difference to me if I am not holding the pumping stuff.

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
April 21st, 2008, 02:52 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Heather, best of luck!!
April 21st, 2008, 04:23 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh Heather. I'm so sorry.

April 22nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Thank you ladies!!

I really need to invest in a hand free setup. I will go look at something (not even sure how to go hands free) this weekend.

I have to report (as I sit here munching on my typical lunch of oatmeal) yesterday I pumped 2.5 oz in my first pumping session. Today my first pump yelded 5.25 oz.
I tried everything. Looked at her photos, smelled her blanket, played her video on my phone, relaxed my shoulders, deep breathing.. and did pretty good! I would really like to get more.. but I cannot complain for the day so far.

I have doubled my water intake, doubled my oatmeal, taking 6 fenugreek a day (thus far) and cut out my cold medicine. I still havent found the mothers tea yet.

I told DH last night that my goal is at least 2 bottles a day. She has to take 3 to day care.. and yesterday I could only fill up 1. Luckily I had enough frozen left to fill up the other 2 for the day. My frozen stash is now completely gone.. and tomorrow I will have to begin supplementing. But out of the 3 bottles she has to take a day, only 1 will not be mommy milk. That is my goal. Wish me luck!!

My Blog
April 22nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
daciasmom24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Best of luck! Mothers Milk tea came be found at any Health Food Store, I imagine. I found it at my local Health Food Store. It's really good, but I got more for my buck when I switched to regular fenugreek tea and even though Mothers Milk tea tastes better, they do the same thing! I got 16 bags of MM tea for about 6 bucks while I got 30 fenugreek bags for the same price!

Thanks Natasha for my amazing siggy!

April 22nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
Super Mommy
Heather I thought the same thing cause I am not able to pump much either, I just returned back to work a week ago. That is what brought me to this forum. Well after I read this I am not so worried:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply

Not quite as worried but still have to figure out how to pump enough so she can make it while I am gone.

Big Hug! We will get through this

April 22nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Snowpeas
Good luck!
April 22nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
Heather I found MMT at GNC.
April 22nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
Quote:
Thank you ladies!!

I really need to invest in a hand free setup. I will go look at something (not even sure how to go hands free) this weekend.

I have to report (as I sit here munching on my typical lunch of oatmeal) yesterday I pumped 2.5 oz in my first pumping session. Today my first pump yelded 5.25 oz.
I tried everything. Looked at her photos, smelled her blanket, played her video on my phone, relaxed my shoulders, deep breathing.. and did pretty good! I would really like to get more.. but I cannot complain for the day so far.

I have doubled my water intake, doubled my oatmeal, taking 6 fenugreek a day (thus far) and cut out my cold medicine. I still havent found the mothers tea yet.

I told DH last night that my goal is at least 2 bottles a day. She has to take 3 to day care.. and yesterday I could only fill up 1. Luckily I had enough frozen left to fill up the other 2 for the day. My frozen stash is now completely gone.. and tomorrow I will have to begin supplementing. But out of the 3 bottles she has to take a day, only 1 will not be mommy milk. That is my goal. Wish me luck!![/b]
It sounds like things are getting better! This is my 4th week pumping at work and the amount I am able to pump has really increased this week so I think part of it is just getting used to pumping. I bought a hands free set up last week but before then I just used an old tank top that I cut holes into. Someone else on here said they used an old sports bra with holes cut into it. Give it a try, it really makes things much easier!

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
April 23rd, 2008, 06:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been pumping at work since Jan 1 and when I first started I was only getting maybe 2oz per side. I thought I would have to start supplementing for sure once he started eating more, but my supply still increased with his demand. It was like magic! Relaxing definitely helps though. The more I panic about supply, the worse it is. I've never been a big producer, but now I typically pump a little more than he needs each day, so I'm still able to freeze some. I pump 2x between 8 and 3pm, usually around 10am, and again at 1pm. I usually get between 6-10oz in the morning, and 4-6oz in the afternoon. I guess I still pump once in the night too to make sure he's got enough. Don't worry, you can do it! Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search