breast pump question

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2008, 06:45 AM
jentanne
In about a month I will go back to work for one week. I have two manual pumps that I will bring with me to pump at work. However we do not have warm water (school) only cold. So my question is, how can I keep my pump clean enough between pumping? I thought maybe just rinsing them off with the cold water then storing them in my refridgerator??? Any better ideas? I was just going to leave them put together instead of breaking them down since I won't really be able to wash my hands that well with no hot water.

Also in an 8 hour day how many times do you pump? Is it necessary to pump at times baby would really be nursing or should you just pump when you feel full? If I only feed on one side is it still okay to pump both sides at once?

Ok, sorry for so many questions..... I just want to make sure my milk doesn't get contaminated and that I don't mess up my supply!!!
April 21st, 2008, 07:29 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To really keep your supply without worries, its best to pump AT LEAST as frequently (or more frequently) than baby would nurse. For me - I keep everything attached, as well. I dont even refrigerate my milk most days since its good for 10 hours at room temperature. IF you have a fridge though - do take advantage of that!

I would pump usually 3 or 4 times max. I nursed when I dropped her off, so then another 3 hours later (sometimes 2), and then again around lunch, then again in the afternoon, and if I was running late, then again just before I left. OF course, that was in the beginning. By the time I quit pumping (around 18 months), I only pumped once a day towards the end of the day.

Then of course, I nursed her as soon as I picked her up & we would nurse a LOT at night & on weekends, which I didnt mind b/c it helped keep my supply up.

As for cleaning them - there are cleaning wipes made by medela. Just wipe them down, then let them air dry. They stink though lol. Oh - and I always pumped both sides at once just to get the most I could. If you qualify for medicaid & wic you can probably get a free electric pump. Also if you have private insurance, you can probably get them to pay for an electric double pump to save you time. On rough days, I've even pumped in the car to/from work & meetings! lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 21st, 2008, 09:01 AM
jentanne
Thanks... I will have to look for those wipes. I am starting to consider not even going back for that week. But, I really need too..... ugh, I hate being a working mom, I wish I could just stay home and do what needs to be done for my baby.
April 21st, 2008, 09:03 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Check out the frugal moms board & financial planning - you may be able to work a budget out that allows you to NOT have to go back that week! By hanging out there, I managed to cut our grocery bill down from $1000/month to $250! (For a family of 5!).

And thats WITHOUT coupons

(just meal planning & budgeting).

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 21st, 2008, 11:35 AM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
I pump 3 times during work. (I am away from my LO about 9.5 hours) Rinsing and putting the pump parts in the fridge should work just fine. The wipes are nice, but they are expensive. I cut them in half myself to make a package go longer. You will want to pump both sides.

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
April 22nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
Mahina's Avatar Veteran
another quick add...i bought another set of flanges so i didn't have to wash my pump parts at work. it's very convenient and you can wash your stuff at home! i recommend a double electric pump if you're planning to pump at work daily. it saves time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search