A couple questions...

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2008, 02:20 PM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
1. Jackson seems to be incredibly gassy lately. We have started using Mylicon for him and it seems to work but i would rather not have to give him that so much. Why is he getting more gassy now and what is there anything i can do to prevent it? I thought breastfed babies didn't get gas as much?

2. I am still using the nipple shield for him and it has worked GREAT but since we are out and about more now it is kinda inconvenient to have to put on the shield before i can feed him. My nipples are still pretty flat. How can i get them to protrude more so that we can stop using the shield? Also, i'm scared that he has developed a bad habit with the shield because he doesn't have to open as wide as he normal would need to when he latches because so much of my nipple is in the shield that even with his mouth not open as wide it is not uncomfortable where as if he tries to latch like that without the shield i KNOW it will hurt. Does that make sense?

3. The other night i pumped a couple ounces caues i was pretty full and he only ate from one side. It was dark while i was pumping but wheni came downstairs to put the milk in the fridge i saw that it was pretty much almost clear. It looked like cloudy water not like milk. Whats with that? I haven't had that happen since then.

4. When i pump into my medela bottles i usually get between 2 and 3 ounces but when i pour the milk into the freezer bags their measurements show it at 4, 5 or 6 ounces. It freaks me out cause it says not fill past the 6 ounce line but in the bottle its nowhere near 6 ounces. I try opening the bag as much as possible to get a true reading but it is always higher. I have been marking the bags with the bottle amounts is that right? and why would the bag have a diff. measurement than the bottle?

TIA! You girls are always soooo helpful!

April 21st, 2008, 03:28 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1. Theyre tummies are still adjusting. They can DEVELOP sensitivities even if they didnt have a sensitivity last week too. Not to mention their body & digestive system is constantly changing still. WE see them& think theyre fully developed but theyre not

You can also try gripe water

2. Its not so much that your nipples wont become flat - but baby will learn to latch better. They will likely protrude during nursing, unless theyre truly inverted. So - what you can try to do is until he gets the hang of it - start trying to slip the shield off mid feeding or pump first to get your nipples to come out. I have pretty flat nipples, mostly on one side, and have had no problems. Of course, the longer I nures, the less flat they are, and after a feeding, theyre definitely nowhere near flat! lol.

3. Clear milk - thats pretty normal. You probably had a lot of foremilk, but thats ok. Itll still be full of nutrients

4. Those freezer bags always show like it has more. ITs just b/c of the way they open up. I can't explain it but everyone says the same thing!

I finally started getting some plastic bottles & freeze them in that now, or write on the bag how much is in there b/c the bags are useless for measuring lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 21st, 2008, 04:15 PM
marcella's Avatar Veteran
I like the Gerber milk bags. They seem to be pretty accurate and though they do not come with the tape to connect to your pump...all you have to do is put a little scotch tape of your own and you can pump directly into their bags. I decided to do this when I discovered the Medela pump and save bags are like twenty dollars for 50. Ack! Thats twice as expensive as the Gerbers...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search