Exercise and supply

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a long distance runner and am trying to get back into the game since having my baby 3 months ago. Yesterday I ran 12 miles. Before pregnancy this was a short weekend run for me but after pregnancy, this has been the longest I've ran. The run kicked my butt basically and I was pretty sore afterwords. When going to bed for teh night I typically nurse to sleep but she kept sucking and then unlatching and crying, re latching, sucking a couple of times, unlatching, and crying, etc. Today while at work I only pumped half the amount I usually get. Do you think this is in relation to the exercise? Is there a way to continue building my running milage and nursing you think?

April 21st, 2008, 06:03 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Any chance you got dehydrated? You need more hydration when exercising and BF than just exercising alone, or else your supply definitely can drop! I did this to myself today too - mowed the lawn in the heat without a bottle of water (my mistake), and the next pumping session I got half of what I usually do.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Chances are it dehydrated you, even if only temporarily. Also, the hormones excreted with large amounts of exercise can not only affect the taste & supposedly the composition but they also can give the hormones needed for milk production an uphill battle.

Try increasing fluids, and maybe even take fenugreek. I would also suggest a more gradual increase in distance, so that your supply & hormones can keep up

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 21st, 2008, 07:25 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
12 MILES!!@$!!

my word lady, you're my hero. I can't run 12 feet!
April 21st, 2008, 07:38 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm....I don't think I drank more water than normal yesterday so I'll try drinking up and see if it helps.

Cheryl.

April 21st, 2008, 08:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
12 MILES!!@$!!

my word lady, you're my hero. I can't run 12 feet![/b]
I know, holy crap! I walk 3 miles and I'm beat!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

April 22nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi,
I'm a lurker to this room, but am part of Nov 07 playroom and have a 41/2 month old girl. I'm glad that you posted this. I also run and breast feed, and admit that I've never had problems with supply. I am paranoid however and make sure that I feed just before going out for a run and try to leave it at least an hour after coming back. I have fed immediately after coming back though without problem. I am under the impression that you have to be significantly dehydrated before it causing a problem with supply. I was told however that the taste of lactic acid in your milk should mean that you avoid feeding for about an hour after exercise.
But I guess everone is different. Try again and see if it affects your supply, becuase it's a great hobby and would be a pity if you had to give up (both BF and running ..LOL)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search