can someone help please?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
kahlia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i have a december baby (christmas day to be exact!) and i'm strating to get over her eating sleeping habbits

she was a GREAT baby when she was born, when we bought her home she would feed ever four hours and when she was just over a week or 2 she would even go 6 hours during the night.. then at about 8 weeks old she started sleeping 9pm til 7am and it was awesome! she would cluster feed in the evening which was fine because it meant she slept all the way through! at about 3 months she stopped at first i thought growth spurt because she was just continuously feeding after the first week i started thinking it wasn't a growth spurt at all! its still going on and on and on! all she wants to do is eat! sometimes she wont even go half an hour between a feed! she is normally really relaxed and she was taking a good 3 hour afternoon nap but now thats stopped aswell! last night she finally settled at 10.30pm and then woke up 3 or 4 times until 7am in which we woke up for the day!

i thought maybe she needed to start solids and she's had it 3 times and it seems to have not helped at all, i wanted to wait until 6 months to feed her so i just dont know? this is my second baby, my first only fed til 3 months and then refused my milk al together, i tried everything but we ended up putting her on formula i dont want to ff Amaeya but i'm starting to go batting! constantly feeding my 4 month old, on no sleep with a 23 month old is starting to wear me down its been almost a month now of this so i dont know how to help things?

she WONT take a bottle or a paci either
April 22nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We went through the EXACT same thing, at the exact same age. DD slept awesome up until 3 1/2 months old. She was sleeping good 8 hour stretches until then, and suddenly she was up every few hours. She didn't increase how much she was nursing during hte day, but she typically only went 1 1/2-2 hours from the start of one feeding to the next.
At night, I started exploring what could be the culprit. I blew up an air mattress and slept on the floor in her room. I found the culprit to all of her night wakings, noise. I closed her door that night and sure enough, she slept much better. The next night, I slept in my room with her door closed and she slept well again. She was still up a few times, but that's also when I learned that I was acting too quick. I was still in newborn mode and jumping at her first cry. If I let her go for a few minutes, she typically went back to sleep. I didn't consider it CIO, because she never really fully awakened, I just ran to get her too quickly.
It could be a few things, including what I mentioned above. Consider how long you wait before going to get her. Maybe give it a minute at first, if you're not comfortable with listening to her cry, then stretch it to 2 minutes, and 3 and wait to see if her crying slows down and sounds very sleepy. Also look at her environment, is there something that could be distracting her at night? Change one thing and see if it makes a difference (nightlight, or no nightlight, door open and closed, etc). Another option is some seperation anxiety. She could be experiencing some fear when you're not around and waking more at night in response to that. That would also explain the extra nursing during the day too. She is having plenty of wet and poopy diapers, right? Is it possible your supply took a small dip and she is nursing more to get it back up? Your period or birth control can contribute to a sudden drop in your supply.
Even if you can rule some things out, it doesn't hurt to make a few changes and see if anything helps. At least you could get some extra sleep at night, even if you can't keep your sanity during the day!

Expecting baby #4!

April 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM
kahlia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thanks for replying she was sleeping in her bassinet nect to our bed, but she started rolling so only 2 nights ago we but he in her crib but we moved it into our bedroom and its right next to our bed. when she wakes up i let her fuss for a minute, but that more trying to psych myself up to get outta bed. lol

i thought abot my milk supply dropping but i'm pretty certain it's still good, i don't really bother pumping because she wont drink it from the bottle but sh'es a big chunky butt so i'm guessing she's geting enough but i have tried to increase my water intake to see if it'd do anything...

i'm thinking she may just be comfort feeding so today i've started trying to stretch her feeds a little.. i wrapped her up and just held her and patted her back for about 10 -15 mins and she finally settled and i sat her in her swing and she's fallen asleep. normally i would have just fed her but it had only been an hour and a half since her last feed and i know she got plenty(it's morning here in australia and i always have loads of milk in the am). so i decided to try stretch it and i'm thinknig maybe i'm just letting her feed to often?

idk, i dont wanna stress her to much but we'll see how it goes. i mean its not unbearable atm i just dont want it to get any worse
April 22nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With breastmilk theres no such thing as feeding too often. Right now - breast milk is digested in as little as 20 mins so its entirely possible what she ate is long gone & digested in only an hour and a half. Not to mention the tremendous amount of growth that theyre going through at this age requires a lot! I say nurse on demand, and bring her to bed at night so she can nurse all she needs (its more than just a want at this age) and you cna sleep all you need (again, more than just a want lol).

Its temporary though and will pass!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search