Bottle and nursing issues

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, the last couple weeks Loren has been getting pickier and pickier about nursing and drinking from his bottles. It started when he had an ear infection, so I thought it was temporary, but it seems to be getting worse. For the last couple weeks he hasn't wanted to nurse when I'm sitting, only when I'm laying in bed with him. When I sit down on the couch to nurse him, he just fusses, arches his back, and starts to cry. Every once in awhile he'll nurse for a couple minutes if he's really hungry, but most of the time he won't. He just gets super cranky and won't eat, but if I go upstairs and lay in bed he'll nurse like crazy.

Now he's starting to refuse bottles from me and dh as well. Over the last week it's all we can do to get him to drink a couple ounces in an hour. I even took him out on Sat. and tried to feed him a bottle, but he drank about 3 oz between 9am and 3pm. When we got home we layed down and he nursed like he was starving. So far he was still taking his bottles during the day from the babysitter and at grandma's, but the last two days he won't barely drink a bottle at grandma's either. He's not eating that much baby food. Maybe half a container of stage 1 food and an equal amount of cereal or yogurt, depending on whether it's a fruit or a vegetable.

Sometimes I think I should just keeping offering to nurse while sitting and not give up and go upstairs, cuz I think that only reinforces it, but he gets soo fussy and I'm worried about him not getting enough to eat. I'm not sure what to do. Anyone have a similar experience or any suggestions? Thanks!

April 22nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Actually thats pretty normal at that age. Theyre much more aware, and theyre easily distracted, and they get so overstimulated so easily. I would say just keep trying to find a quiet place to nurse & its ok. If hes rejecting bottles, no worries - just find a quiet place & nurse.

Also - try to offer the breast BEFORE baby food. Right now he still needs his primary source of nutrition to be breastmilk not solids, its only experimental at this point. So for now - fill him up on breastmilk to be sure hes gettnig all he needs, then let him do the baby food thing

Dont worry, its just a phase - all of it

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 23rd, 2008, 07:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
THanks! There's just a lot of times when I can't go lay down with him and nurse. If we're out for the day, or all day at the babysitter. If I'm not at home, he won't nurse at all. He used to take a bottle, but now he won't even do that. At home it's no problem to lay with him. I just thought it was weird that he'd lay down and nurse, but not let me sit up. He's in basically the same position either way.
April 23rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You know, something else that came to mind rereading your thread... you mentioned it started with an ear infection. There may still be some discomfort left from that.

Another thing to consider, is would you be open to seeing a chiro? Its not the neck & back cracking for an infant that you think of when you think of an adult seeing a chiro.

A friend of mine is actually a chiro who specializes in infants, & I didnt believe in it much with infants until I personally saw her treating an infant. Its more like massage, and she actually helped a mom whose baby had something similar going on. What it amounted to was the baby had also had an ear infection, but it was caused by something going on that put pressure on the ear canal thereby causing the ear infection. Though they treated the ear infection & it cleared, whatever was going on (i'm no anatomy major lol) was still causing the pressure along the ear canal (thereby making it slightly more narrow & more susceptible to ear infections -she describes them as flexible like cooked rigatoni being squeezed or bent a little making it more narrow). ANywyas - she treated the infant with really minor adjustments, no more pressure than needed to hold two pennies between two fingers, and its more like massage. Anyways - she was able to adjust the baby, release the tension & pressure, and the baby did fine nursing after that b/c the pressure was releived and voila - no more ear infections either!

So - maybe something to consider. I would however, strongly suggest using a chiro who specializes in infants & children. Theres a whole specialty & she spends TONS Of time going to training to learn the specific stuff b/c its so different with children. Peds send her kids all the time.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 23rd, 2008, 04:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! We actually have a ped chiropracter in town, so if he gets any worse I'll definitely consider taking him.
April 24th, 2008, 06:39 AM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
My little one nurses best in bed too...they are no distractions and she is relaxed and focused. Out on the couch with the TV and the boys playing, she won't nurse either. So we always do it in the bed.

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search