what amounts to freeze?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2008, 06:13 AM
jen*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I pump every morning while my son nurses on one side and I generally get about 5-6 ounces. I'm going back to work in a week and half so I have quite the supply of BM stored up in the freezer, but I've mainly been freezing the whole amount that I pump because that is what he takes when DH gives him a bottle of BM.

Should I be freezing smaller amounts? Jack is a big and hungry boy, but I realize that down the line when he's eating more substantial food then he may not drink as much BM. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
April 23rd, 2008, 06:36 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always froze in 2 - 3 oz increments b/c my daughter only ever took 3 - 4 oz at a time (she would have taken more, but that was enough to keep her happy).

Its so easy to overfeed with a bottle, and most moms give them more than they really need. Of course, with BM not being an endless tap lol, I always encourage being conservative. Feed in 3 - 4 oz increments, then give them a few minutes & if theyre still hungry, give another ounce at a time when bottle feeding. If you give a baby 6 oz in a bottle, chances are theyll drink it. Even though they were probably full around 3 oz. Also - keep in mind, even for adults it takes about 20 mins for your brain to get the signal that youre full from your stomach - b/c they drink it so fast, they often end up drinking beyond the point of full.

So my suggestion is freeze smaller amounts. Give smaller bottles. Give baby a few minutes to see if hes really still hungry or just wanting to suck.

UNLESS of course, you have a really ample supply - then go for it lol.

Check out this link: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 23rd, 2008, 06:46 AM
Momofapeanut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've only been doing this now for about 2 weeks. I always stored in 4oz increments because that's what samara would eat in one feeding. I was told to freeze in 2-3oz also, but I didn't. So! It's worked out for us. We actually switched bottles because she was eating too fast from the playtex nursers. I found a good fit with the first years Breastflow, she eats slower and spits up less. I'm not really worried about supply issues at all though. I pump more than she eats while I'm gone. She takes 3 bottles and I pump 4.

That's just what works for us though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search