Baby keeps rejecting bottle

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2008, 03:12 PM
~Trinity~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My daughter was born (full term) on March 2nd. She had some inital latch on issues and from days 3-5 I ended up exclusively pumping and bottle feeding her. I didnt like doing so but she just wasn't able to latch on and get enough milk. She took the bottle fine then. By the fifth day after her birth I remembered that nipple shields help out with a problem latch and sure enough it worked for us. As soon as I saw she was able to get enough milk from nursing we stopped using the bottle. For the next week we used the nipple shield and by then she had developed a good latch on without it and we stopped using it.

Since then nursing has been going beautifully for us. Now that shes older I want her to be able to take a bottle now and then so I can leave her with my husband once in awhile. That way I can run errands or have some one on one time with my older child. I also have my college graduation coming up in late May. Its going to last several hours and be held in an outdoor stadium rain or shine so I would rather not have her attend. But if she won't take a bottle I won't be able to go.

I have tried several times in the past couple days for her to take a bottle and she refuses it. Both me and my husband have tried to give it to her and she's just not having it. I left her (briefly) with my husband twice today to go to a doctor appt and to the library and each time came home to her crying because she wanted milk/or just to suck and I wasn't there. When offered the bottle she just gets fussier and crys more. Its the same bottle we gave her when she was a couple days old and gladly accepted. Now..nothing.

So how should I best go about trying to get her to accept a bottle? Should I just offer it once a day or more often? Maybe try different kinds of bottles? Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated ladies. : )

April 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
MLBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She's around that age where they get really smart. My daughter refused a bottle at 6 weeks. We didn't try to fight it but when she was 4 months she had to go to daycare.

I let someone else other than myself give her a bottle. I wouldn't fill up the whole bottle but just a couple of ounces. We tried quite a few before we found one that worked.

See if she will drink out of a cup even. My daughter learned to do that very early on.

The bottles we *finally* had success with were the playtex drop ins with the latex naturalatch nipples.

http://www.MLBelasco.etsy.com
April 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
Snowpeas
I have the same problem. Olivia got formula after each breastfeeding session in the hospital for jaundice (grrrr) and she took the bottle with no problems. In fact for awhile she didn't want my breast because it wouldn't start flowing right away like her bottle did. For that reason I kept her away from all bottles after that, even though I continued pumping.

I built up a nice stash and when I felt it was safe to try a bottle of breastmilk she refused to take it. I'm still experimenting with different kinds but bottles but have had no luck so far. I even have dh give her the bottles when I'm not around....let me know if you find something that works!
April 23rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
You may want to try some different bottles/nipples. El had taken a bottle just fine but when she started daycare we ended up having to switch to a different kind because she would no longer take the old one. (we were using the Playtex drop-in and are now using NUK, which I'm not to happy with since NUK bottles are not BPA free, but anyways......)

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
April 24th, 2008, 05:36 AM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
Yeah the NUK nipples, the weird shaped ones are the kind I used for Camden and he took to them right away. With Teagen I use the playtex latex nipples and she likes those just fine.

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
April 24th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Super Mommy
I just went through this with my daughter Olivia- it was very stressful! At 4 weeks of age, we tried everyday to give her a bottle. We finally got her to accept it at 8 weeks of age after many different ways of trying and 4 bottles later (including one shaped like a boob)! And we tried everyday with just one ounce of breast milk, as not to waste precious milk!

What worked for us is to not have me be even on the same floor as her, to warm the milk very warm, to put her in her swing, get her calm and then offer the bottle, and to use the gerber NUK bottle/nipple. We now give her a bottle everyday so she will not change her mind again. We have lots of people besides me give the bottle as well.

each infant is different, and what works for one might not work for another.

There is a lot of advice on this site:
http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/n...ttle.html#soon

Good luck and let us know how it is going for you. I know this is very stressful!!!

April 28th, 2008, 11:54 AM
mommadoolittle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can sympathize. DS took a bottle fine for the first few weeks then all of a sudden he would have none of it. We tried just about every bottle out there and just 2 weeks ago I got him to take an Adiri bottle. (the one that looks like a boob). They are expensive but if it works for you I think they are worth it. Hope that helps

adiri bottles

April 28th, 2008, 12:38 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nuk & Avent are all my daughter will take. Also try having DH or someone else offer it when youre not around, and in a place you wouldnt normally nurse

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search