8 month old too busy to nurse?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Jackate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jack is 8 months old today. The last couple of weeks he is really giving me a hard time about nursing between 7am or so and 8pm. He does eat table food two or three times a day with us, we started him at six months on food, not cereal or baby food, just table food. Since we have used this method of feeding he is only actually eating a small amount. I have always nursed him on demand. He still nurses most of the night, every couple of hours or so, he sleeps with us. But I worry because I know he is supposed to get a certain amount of milk day until he is one and I just don't feel like he is getting it when he will skip nursing for five or six hours sometimes. I always offer milk before food, but half the time he bites me, , and refusses. I was thinking of trying to pump and give him an 11am or 12pm feeding out of sippy cup but 1. pumping sucks, I would have pump like five times a day to get six oz. 2. I love nursing him 3. I am afraid that will decress my supply.

I just feel like if he nuses at 7am or so when he wakes up he should nurse at 11am, 3pm and then at 7pm at least.
Well he nurses at 7am then I am still offering every two or three hours, but after the 7am feeding where he will nurse for a second before his 10am nap and maybe again, a little at 3pm or so. But he is just pulling off a lot, not really nursing for more than two or three minutes, and biting a ton.

Any ideas?

April 24th, 2008, 09:30 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is he teething? It would explain the aversion to nursing & biting. Also - any startling reaction you have to biting could cause him to be skiddish & not nurse as much. iF he tries to bite, pull him in rather than pullign away. Itll force him to open up (rather than clamp down).

Continue encouraging the breast before offering solids. Perhaps take him and lay him down in a quiet & dark room. Another thing that usually helps is taking a warm bath together.

Chances are its temporary & wont last long Is he nursing a lot at night?

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 24th, 2008, 09:53 AM
He does already have his bottom two teeth, but I do feel like he is teething. I mean, he seems to act like he is in other ways as well. I just don't see anymore cutting. But I know he was "teething" for what seemed like months before those first two came all the way in.

But freaking out when he bites me might be a good reason, He has bit me so hard, I haven't ment to, but I have jump/yelled and said "ouch" really loud, no wonder then little guy is scared. Poor thing. I didn't really think about it like that. That I am scaring him. I'll try the pull him in thing.

And come to think of it when ever I do jump in the tub with him he does always nurse. I thought it was just a "hey, the boobs are out" kinda thing. Laying down in our bed and nursing does make it better, sometimes, but I'll try to do that more often.

Oh and yeah, he eats all night long. LOL..

Thanks. I do feel better, I guess I just got a little scared that he was tired of nursing. I really do want him to nurse for at least a year to 18 months so 8 months was just not long enough at all.

April 24th, 2008, 05:24 PM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
This is the EXACT same thing that happened to me with my last. I am so afraid of it happening this time. When it happened I tried everything. I would try to nurse her tired, in a quiet dark room, before she ate solids and it just didn't work. Then i was going through some personal struggles with other things and I ended up weaning, which I later regretted. She never even went to formula. She refused the bottle. So I mixed formula with oatmeal in the morning and then my pedi. told me to just make sure she had calcium in other sources.

I am so afraid of this happening again with this baby. I am interested to hear what everyone says.

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
April 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
Teagen started the same thing at the same age. I have to bring her into a quiet dark room and feed her most of the time now. Another tip is to do it right after a nap, that way they are a bit groggy and will eat better.

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
April 25th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Ok, I will try the after a nap thing too. Thanks for the help ladies.

I want to cry when I think about stopping nursing, I want to do everything I can to keep nursing him.

April 25th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Evvy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey Kate, Leah Kate is doing the same thing during the day- goes from morning to mid afternoon with maybe one feeding, and a quick one at that. She still loves her nighttime/morning nursing though. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone My older kids did the same thing, only they didnt want the pumped milk at daycare, so I think its pretty normal developmentally. He'll still nurse, no worries. Your supply will adjust as he picks up more solids, etc., but it's very unlikely you'll need to wean. My boys did before bed nursing only for a long time after they turned a year and weren't dependent on my BM for nutrition, and despite only doing it 1x a day, they were getting milk . I am rambling, sorry

April 26th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
I just have to say my DS was the same way.... and that's why I weaned him It was such a mistake and I regret it so much. He was weaned by 9 months. I thought he didn't want it anymore but I was wrong. So I just want to stay stick it out mama

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

April 26th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks Kristin, good to hear some BTDT advice. I really, really, don't want to wean.

I am going to be doing all of your ideas, it is hard to go from nursing all day on the couch to him only wanting to nurse once a day or so. Sad, my little is just growing up I guess.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search