Remind me whats normal please

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Hi everyone...

Kate will be 2 weeks tomorrow, and I"m needing a reminder of whats normal when it comes to how often newborns should be pooping. We are EBFing and doing great so far, last week, at one week old she was up 3 ounces from her birth weight! So I know she's getting enough to eat...

With my two older girls (also EBFed), I remember them pooping A LOT more than Kate does. Kate poops MAYBE once or twice in a 24 hour period. She wets plenty of diapers, but as for pooping, its not as often as I remember the girls pooping in the early weeks.

So someone tell me, should I be worried or does everything sound ok?

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
April 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Jackate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just have to say great name choice

I am not very sure what is "normal" because I only have Jack to compare, but the first couple weeks he was pooping a lot, like five, eight, ten times a day.

I would assume that as long as she is having enough wet diapers and gaining weight, that she is just different and nothing is wrong. As long as she is having some poopy diapers, I would mention it to her doctor but I wouldn't worry.

Hopefully some of the other mommas will have more BTBT advice for ya.

April 24th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would guess she just one of those babies that doesn't poop much. I know at a certain point, they can go days and weeks without pooping, because thier bodies are absorbing the nutrients from the milk better. I've heard of babies as young as 2-4 weeks pooping every day or every other day. I'm sure it's normal and nothing to worry about!

Expecting baby #4!

April 24th, 2008, 02:52 PM
lorilori's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I could almost write a book on this one now. Evan pooped great his first few days then he stopped completely. We took him to the dr after 72 hours and she used a little rectal dialation to get things moving again. Then, 3 days later, he stopped going again. So we went back to the dr and she was very concerned b/c she said he should be having at least one day (so you are safe!) since he is BF (formula babies can be constipated the first few weeks, BF babies should be going) and she said we were going to have to get him checked for something called herschprung's disease b/c if they get too backed up it can be dangerous. It was a terrifying few hours but suddenly he started going again and now he is going 8-12 time a day. Soooooo to make that really long story short (it was a terrifying few days!) , Kate is having dirty diapers and that is what matters, not the number so much. Apparently lots of babies just save up and go a few times a day while the rest go nonstop.
April 24th, 2008, 02:55 PM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
Teagen didn't poop that much either but she was fine. Maybe 1 or 2x a day.

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
April 24th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Thanks everyone... Kate went like 3 times yesterday, then nothing today.. so obviously I was a little worried. I'm sure she'll be back to her pooping self tomorrow. LOL

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
April 24th, 2008, 06:56 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Its completely normal for a BF baby to go up to 10 days without using the bathroom. this is generally after around 8 weeks though. Before that, they can still go less frequently without concern though.

Im really surprised the ped went through all that over a BF baby going to the bathroom so little - what she said is actuallyt he opposite. FF babies DO get constipated but its not ok, and BF babies have very little waste.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 24th, 2008, 07:59 PM
lorilori's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Its completely normal for a BF baby to go up to 10 days without using the bathroom. this is generally after around 8 weeks though. Before that, they can still go less frequently without concern though.

Im really surprised the ped went through all that over a BF baby going to the bathroom so little - what she said is actuallyt he opposite. FF babies DO get constipated but its not ok, and BF babies have very little waste.

Lala...[/b]
It wasn't just the pediatrician, the LC was concerned as well. Apparently it's only an issue in newborns.
This is from the LLL website:

On occasion a mother calling with a deceptively simple or unrelated question will describe notably infrequent newborn stooling when asked. Sometimes it has been overlooked or, using the criteria for older babies, labeled normal.

When...[daily newborn stooling]...does not happen, the physician needs to confirm that all is really well. This means a check of urine output...and urine specific gravity as well as a review of breastfeeding patterns. The purpose is to identify the potential failure-to-thrive situation before it becomes serious.
Dr. Lawrence continues to explain that minor adjustments to breastfeeding may be needed to increase the amount of high-fat hindmilk the baby receives.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search