What would cause my son to do this all of a sudden?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sebastian is 5 weeks old now and has been doing great with bf. I did go see a LC to make sure i was doing everything i was supposed to and making sure that his top lip was okay where it was (he purses it) but she said he was doing great as long as it didn't hurt, and his bottom lip was flanged and so on it was fine. Now all of a sudden the last 2 days he doesn't want to open his mouth really wide...he doesn't get bottles so that's not it and even if he does its the playtex ones that mimic bf but hasn't had a bottle for over a week, and doesn't get a paci. So what would cause him to do this, its frustrating. So far the only thing i can do is wait and wait and wait or if he closes his mouth too soon i take him off and relatch him. Any advice on what could cause this?
April 25th, 2008, 06:15 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, even though he rarely gets bottles & its been a week, it could still be a contributing factor. Unfortunately, no brand of bottle or nipple is designed where the baby wouldnt get nipple confusion because not only the shape of course, but the WAY they have to suck as well.

Is it uncomfortable when you latch him on? I know my daughter suddenly started getting a more shallow latch, just not opening as wide, at some point. But it never really caused any discomfort, and she was still nursing efficiently, so we didn't really do much about it.

I think you're doing the right thing by just unlatching him & relatching him. But you can also still try the tricks of rubbing a finger on his cheek (or rubbing your nipple on his cheek) to get him to root with an open mouth to latch him on. When he comes on, also be sure to pull him really close, belly facing towards your body.

It's likely a phase that will pass. But if it is painful, and you can see its still a really shallow latch, then call a LC or even LLL. I would encourage attending LLL meetings anyways too to hear how other moms are doing & handling things. Its great b/c it gives you a heads up on things you MIGHT run into as well

Oh, last thing - make sure youre offering the breast at the earliest cues of hunger. They tend to not open it as wide when theyre on the verge of screaming. And if its towards the end of a feeding, he may just not be hungry. Dont worry about duration of nursing sessions, etc - just nurse till he no longer acts interested.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 25th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Another trick, compress your nipple as you put it into his mouth. His mouth is so small, that he can't always get as much as he needs in there. Using your thumb and finger, squeeze your nipple from the top and bottom of the areola to flatten it and as he opens, bring him to the breast keeping your nipple flat. It will help him get a deeper latch.

Expecting baby #4!

April 25th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
There is pain after the inital latch on but it subsides. It doesn't seem to interfere much at all, it just makes me question why all of a sudden. He gets lots of milk and seems to be contented, it doesn't hurt and he's growing. I have tried the compressing and it works...but sometimes. I will just keep at it and see where it goes. Maybe there is the nipple confusion. I will keep an eye on it and go from there I guess. Thanks so much.
April 25th, 2008, 09:16 AM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
Send a message via MSN to $pryNinja
Makenna never opens wide anymore! But my nipples must be used to it because it doesn't hurt at all, she just sucks them right in!

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

April 25th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Beaker's Avatar My boys are adorable
We had an awesome latch for the first few weeks, and then it was screwy for a about 3 months and then he fixed it. I say as long as you are pain-free and baby gains weight, don't worry!

Earn giftcards and more with Swagbucks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search