gassy and fussy in the early morning only

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Elliot gets very, very gassy and fussy every morning around 5am. He will stretch and whine and pass gas and cry out. It is really sad to hear and he really struggles with it. At night he does eat laying in my bed and comfort nurses for most of the night and won't really sleep anywhere else. He doesn't lay down much during the day (he will sleep in his swing then) unless we nap together so it's hard to say if it could happen in the daytime if he were laying down. I've tried burping him more often at night, eliminating dairy (but wouldn't dairy cause the discomfort all day instead of just in the am?), eliminating caffeine, and skipping my prenatal vitamins (only for 2 nights). Maybe not related, but I have also noticed that he sometimes burps on his own and occasionally milk will come back up, especially out his nose (which also makes him stuffy). That usually only happens when he is laying down. I think reflux, but don't pretty much all babies have that? Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
April 25th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like laying down nursing is the problem. It's great for us, because we can continue to get rest, but with younger babies, they need the gravity to help them get the gas out. Thier digestive systems are still very immature, so they don't know how to pass the gas. After he nurses, take a minute to pick him up and burp him before laying him back down. I always sat in bed with the boppy and nursed DD, then burped her and laid her back in her bed.
It doesn't really sound like reflux, usually that is an all-day thing, and doesn't involve gas, just spitting up. If it were a food allergy/sensitivity, it would last all day, so unless you have another reason to think so, you can keep dairy in your diet.

Expecting baby #4!

April 25th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my son was the same way....he was always so gassy and spit up more in the morning then any other time of the day. I just had to keep him upright and make sure he was burped before laying him down again, rest assured he has basically outgrown it....

April 25th, 2008, 09:33 AM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
Send a message via MSN to $pryNinja
whenever I nurse Makenna to sleep laying down she will always wake up to be burped. If your baby is a deep sleeper then all that air is going through his system and when he wakes up its time to push it out!! I'm not sure what else you can try besides more burping... maybe after he falls asleep can you move him to a chair so he is sitting up, or does he need you beside him all night? its tricky, especially when they are asleep and you know they will wake up as soon as you pick them up...

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

April 25th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My baby did that, spit up every single time I layed her down flat. Shes been sleeping in her car seat. She seems to have outgrown it now though She will be in her crib once the inlaws finally send us the money for the mattress......

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search