time for cereal or not making enough milk?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
Help! Claire is still hungry after she empties my breasts. Now I can't tell if she wants more milk, or if this is what they mean when they say "introduce solids when breastmilk doesn't seem to be enough". She has had rice cereal 4 times or so, but very small amounts and she just doesn't *seem* ready to me. So that leads me to believe I don't have enough milk for her What should I do? Oatmeal? What about fenugreek? I have NO idea what it is.. LOL! I have some mother's milk tea too.

TIA!

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

April 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
Most ladies here would say to wait until 6 months. I started a little earlier when I was experiencing the same thing. First try to increase your supply by nursing more, drinking plenty of water, taking Fenugreek, drinking your tea, doing the oatmeal and see if that helps.

My ped advised me at my 4 month appt to start cereal. I waited until he was about 5 months old and then it was only once a day. It seemed to help for us as far as keeping him satisfied. But if you don't think she is ready, then trust your instincts!

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
April 28th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree, if you don't feel she's ready, trust your gut. There's no reason to push something if you and her don't want to, and many babies are not ready for solids at 4 months.
You need to look at some other factors before determining you have a low supply. Is she doing it every time you nurse and when did it start? How are her diapers, has she kept up the same amount of wet and poopy diapers she usually has? Typically, your milk supply isn't going to take a sudden dip without some help. Have you started birth control recently or your period? Also, have you been supplementing anything besides a little bit of cereal?
The last option is that she's going through the 4 month growth spurt, which is the most likely. Offer her the other side when she acts hungry and do this until she's satisfied. She could also be teething or trying to fight off a bug, which is making her fussy.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

April 28th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Is she doing it every time you nurse and when did it start? pretty much every time.. started about 2 days ago

How are her diapers, has she kept up the same amount of wet and poopy diapers she usually has? yep

Have you started birth control recently or your period? ooh I'm on my period right now, does that affect it?? This is my 2nd PP period.

Also, have you been supplementing anything besides a little bit of cereal? nope, nothing at all.

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

click HERE!

April 28th, 2008, 07:49 PM
M&RsMom's Avatar Mama to silly boys
Send a message via AIM to M&RsMom
Maddie having your period makes your supply dip a bit but it will fix when it's over, that's probably all it is.

April 29th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like it is probably your period. Not all, but many women notice dips in thier supply when they have thier period. You probably don't need fengreek yet, but it might help. Just drink plenty of fluids, and let her nurse as much as possible. You may go through this everytime your period starts, so be prepared and take precautions beforehand. It could also be a combination of your period and growth spurt. I hope it lets up soon!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

April 29th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't know they had a 4 month growth spurt too. I have been going through the same thing as you maddie, with Rebecca. Sunday and yesterday she was bear. Didn't want anything but to eat then go back to sleep. I even gave her some motrin and teething stuff cuz I thought maybe that was it, but then she woke this morning and was a giggling sweetie from 6:30 til 10:30. She's napping now, and hasn't cried at all today. I was starting to get frustrated and my mom made it worse by saying "oh I knew she would want more than you can give her start cereal".. ugh

I hope claire gets over it soon too

April 30th, 2008, 06:20 PM
OMG ok that must have been it! I was even pumping during her naps because I was so scared my supply was dropping for good. It was low for about 3 days and I ate oatmeal and drank mother's milk tea and tonnnnns of water. It's totally back to normal now. I SO hope I don't have to do this every month poor baby was so sad!

click HERE!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search