BF 9 month old and lack of solid foods

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Super Mommy
Just a quick question for some of the BTDT mommies who have nursed past a year.

My 9 month old Gabriel is excusively bf, to the point of never even taken a bottle with expressed milk. He is still nursing every 2-3 hours and barely taking in any solids. My concerns are as we r getting closer to 1 year that my milk alone will not be enough and he'll need the nutrients and calories of other foods.

Should I be spacing out the nursing sessions so he'll be more hungry for solid food? Or should I continue with letting him choose whether he wants breast or solids?
April 29th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Continue to let him choose, he will lead the way. I know it's hard now, but remember that no child will go the rest of his/her life being exclusively breastfed. Some just aren't ready or willing to take solids at that 6 month mark and take much longer to get on a regular meal schedule. You can continue to offer it to him, and continue to add meals in, and he'll increase his amount of food as he feels ready. As long as he continues to be healthy and thrive off of your milk, there's no reason to worry that he isn't getting enough. The 1-year mark isn't that magical moment where they need to suddenly be on all solids. Some doctors or parents make it sound that way, but every child is different. He will increase his intake of solids as he needs those extra calories and nutrients, and he'll do it at his own pace, so let him lead the way.
My DD went some days at 9 months old that she didn't have a bite of solid food. By 15 months, she was eating 3 full meals a day and snacks, and only nursing a few times a day.

Expecting baby #4!

April 29th, 2008, 06:29 AM
M&RsMom's Avatar Mama to silly boys
Send a message via AIM to M&RsMom
Let him choose. My first son was all about the boob until he was a year old...he would have some solids but not too much. Now he's 2 and a big piggy lol

April 29th, 2008, 06:38 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto the others on letting him choose. Until a year of age, solids are NOT intended as a source of nutrients & vitamins. Theyre for getting them used to textures, tastes, etc. It's only practice Many BF babies dont really start solids until 12, 13, even 15 months and do perfectly fine. My dd started "trying" solids at 6 months, but wouldnt really take to them. SHe also didnt get her first tooth until she was 13 months old lol so there wasnt a lot that she COULD eat. Our ped (who is very pro-BFing) assured me that there is NO evidence of babies NEEDING solids until a year, and that there is also nothing showing that an exclusively BF baby is lacking in any way by exclusively BFing for a year. He kindly wrote us a note for our daycare even, who was INSISTING she be given solids, even solids she clearly couldnt eat b/c she had no teeth simply b/c it was "difficult" for them to continue feeding her bottles & extremely soft baby food while the other babies were already on finger foods.

Let him lead the way. Hell be less likely to develop stomach & digestive problems, be less likely to have food allergies, etc

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 29th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Girl_interrupted
I ditto the other girls; let him show you what he wants/needs. My first ENer did not effectively begin solids until she was probably 11 months old. She refused all solids until around 10 months. She'd nibble from 8-10 months, but almost nothing at all. I kept trying, though, but it wasn't up to every single day until she was over 10 months old.

Now, I can't get her to stop eating! She's almost 9, and I swear she's going to eat us out of house and home. LOL

PS. my 26 month old doesn't eat much, either. She still nurses fine, though, so I'm not too horribly concerned. She has days where all she'll eat is a few cashews, a couple grapes, and she'll drink a whole lot of boob. I don't push it. It ends up worse (for us) to push it!
April 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks Girls! I needed the ressurance that I was doing the right thing, sometimes it seems like everyone thinks I'm nuts for nursing excusively for this long.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search