Gassy?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hi,
I'm new here and this breast feeding thing is new for me. I have a 5 wk old, my first, that has me so confused. At every feeding, she will feed for about 3 minutes, then let go and cry. She's constantly grunting while she is eating, and wiggling. Its like she has to constantly burp. I have been giving her gas drops, but they only help for a short time. I'm burping her as soon as I see signs that she needs to. It seems she has a constant belly ache. My sister fed her a bottle that I pumped last night, and she ate it fine, none of the problems I've been having with the breast. Is it normal for breast fed babies to be this gassy all the time? Could there be something wrong with my milk? I've had to endure so much to be able to breastfeed. I don't want to have to give up now.

Mary
April 30th, 2008, 11:33 AM
*~LuckyCharms~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Hi,
I'm new here and this breast feeding thing is new for me. I have a 5 wk old, my first, that has me so confused. At every feeding, she will feed for about 3 minutes, then let go and cry. She's constantly grunting while she is eating, and wiggling. Its like she has to constantly burp. I have been giving her gas drops, but they only help for a short time. I'm burping her as soon as I see signs that she needs to. It seems she has a constant belly ache. My sister fed her a bottle that I pumped last night, and she ate it fine, none of the problems I've been having with the breast. Is it normal for breast fed babies to be this gassy all the time? Could there be something wrong with my milk? I've had to endure so much to be able to breastfeed. I don't want to have to give up now.

Mary[/b]
If she was fine with the bottle I can't imagine it's your milk. Maybe try a different position? I hope her tummy problems settle soon!

Thanks to cavewoman for my adorable siggy!

May 4th, 2008, 01:58 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
We are sp quick to blame our milk when there is a problem, but it's more likely just her digestive system still being immature. My daughter was super gassy and things have settled a bit. I also eliminated dairy and onions from my diet almost completely, that helps. She gets a lot of air while feeding b/c she gets on and off a lot as well.

I use gripe water from time to time and that helps. Try feeding more upright instead of her lying sideways. That might help. GOOD LUCK!!
May 4th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Gas drops aren't very good at getting rid of infant gas, very few people have success with them. Gripe water is known to help quite a bit though. Also try several different holds and positions. Do you notice a strong letdown? If you have an overactive letdown (you might notice spraying when she comes off during it), then that can be a main cause of gas in a breastfed baby. Holding her at angle can help her handle the letdown easier. He digestive system will grow out of it too, which is usually by a few months old.

May 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM
oholydonut
god, i have the same issue here and have to say, the gripe water has been helping a lot. she is still gassy but not quite as upset about it. i'm also trying to eliminate dairy. just wanted to say you're not alone, hang in there!
May 5th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Momofapeanut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
We are sp quick to blame our milk when there is a problem, but it's more likely just her digestive system still being immature. My daughter was super gassy and things have settled a bit. I also eliminated dairy and onions from my diet almost completely, that helps. She gets a lot of air while feeding b/c she gets on and off a lot as well.

I use gripe water from time to time and that helps. Try feeding more upright instead of her lying sideways. That might help. GOOD LUCK!![/b]
ITA! I did the same thing when mine was about a month old. I ended up getting gripe water and it helped us also. There was a time when she was getting it almost every feeding - then she seemed to get better and better and I rarely use it anymore. But the elimination of foods didn't do anything.
May 7th, 2008, 07:38 AM
The doctor just diagnosed her with GERD. She had been spitting up after every feeding and crying when she would latch back on. She's now on Zantac 2ml twice a day and I hate it. But, if it will help her.. Although, she's been on it for almost a week, and I've seen no signs of improvement. . .. I will try holding her more upright with the fast let down, which I do have. Hopefully that and the gripe water will help. Thanks for the ideas.

Mary

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search