Inverted Nipples

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By juleeannk
  • 1 Post By eve1989

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Croft's Avatar Member
Hi,

I have inverted nipples and want to breastfeed. Has anyone else had this problem and went on to successfully breastfeed? I am looking for any suggestions on how to draw them out. I have purchased these (rather expensive) suction cup like things called nipplette which are suposed to do the trick, but I was looking for ither ideas / suggestions that perhaps can increase my chances of drawing them out in time for my baby's birth. I would hate to have to give the bottle because this is unsuccessful. If I do not draw my nipples out there will be nothing for my little one to latch onto.

Thanks for any help!

Croft
BFP 24 Sep 2004!!!!

January 12th, 2005, 06:07 AM
zonapellucida
I would coax mine out and then rub them between my fingers to break the adhesions. Mine were inverted and I was able to BF just fine. After the first baby it wasn't a problem.
January 12th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Ana_and_Gage's_Mommy
I have one inverted and one not, while it was more work to get my son latched onto the inverted side at first, it is not now and we have equal success with both sides .

I had tried using something before he was born to draw out the nipple but I cant say it helped much. What did help me was to talk with a lactation consultant in the hospital about what might help. She suggested this~

Place your thumb at the base of the top of the nipple and your index finger at the base of the bottom of your nipple, pinch and when the nipple starts to pull in then pull out as you finish pinching. It will help to draw the nipple out and break the adhesions. You can also use the c hold while trying to get baby to latch on, here is a picture of the c hold

Note that while holding the breast this way, in order to pull out an inverted nipple you must pull back some to get the nipple to come out.

It may or may not be alot of extra work for you to be successful with inverted nipples but just rest assured it is so worth the extra effort it takes in the beginning. Eventually it will all feel totally natural. Eventually for us was about 3-4 months, so dont give up if it takes a while. Do lots of research on breastfeeding, take a class if you can, learn about finger feeding in case you do have latch issues for a while, that way you can stay away from the bottle until the latch issues are resolved.

And always feel free to ask questions here, I am always willing to help.

Cyndee

January 13th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Veteran
I had flat nipples before I was pregnant, but they would get erect (is that what you call it?) when cold. When I was pregnant they would go inverted when I lifted my arm up in the air. So, I knew that I would probably have problems bfing. Sure enough my baby couldn't latch on, so I used one of those clear nipple thingees (don't remember what they're called). Baby was able to nurse if I used that. Then one of my midwives helped me to get baby to latch on without the nipple thingee, when baby was 10 days. And since then I've never used it. And now my nipples stay out, not flat or inverted.
Expecting #2 in October
March 4th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Veteran
it can be done croft
February 14th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Veteran
I had the same problem but I tried using suction pumps until the milk came out. Luckily there was milk, but still inverted. My baby wasn't satisfied because the milk wasn't enough so after BF, she still had to bottle feed. Hope you were able to work it out.
February 24th, 2014, 04:57 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
I wrote this article, hope it helps.

Breastfeeding with Inverted Nipples - Myrtle Beach Birth Services
eve1989 likes this.
February 25th, 2014, 05:28 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleeannk View Post
Great article.
juleeannk likes this.