Dont Offer Dont refuse, what age?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Ana_and_Gage's_Mommy
Ive been reading about you those of you who do the dont offer dont refuse approach to breastfeeding a toddler. What age did/do you generally start this? I nursed my daughter until she was 15 months old and then cut out the last two or three nursings by refusing one and then another and then the last one slowly. I plan to let my ds nurse until he decides otherwise, Im of course hoping he will last at least through 2 because the benefits are well documented for kids who nurse until at least 2. After that its all up to him, well I guess its ultimatley up to him if he quits befor that too, LOL. But anyhow, back to my original question, did you wait until you were ok with the nursing sessoin coming to an end to start the dont offer dont refuse or did you start at a certain age, is there an age you would reccomend starting at or not starting before? Nursing a toddler will be mostly new for me but and Im no where near ready to quit nursing, but Im sure there will come a time when I am.....

January 12th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I did, yes. Don't offer, don't refuse is generally considered a "weaning" technique and many babies/children will wean when the breast is no longer offered to them. My ds didn't, of course. Don't offer, don't refuse just got us down to about 20x/day! LOL!

So, if you definitely want to nurse your ds at least until age 2, I would wait until then to stop offering the breast. Unless, of course, your ds is like mine and asks a lot anyway. In that case it may not matter too much.
Proud mom to my little kookaburra, Alden (03/02). #2 due 06/16/05

January 12th, 2005, 02:00 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
off topic cause I didnt breastfeed but.... Did you really just get married? Is that date correct? If so congrats!!! I hope it was a beautiful ceremony.

January 12th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Ana_and_Gage's_Mommy
Thanks, my ds doesn't ask much, I often have to remind him, he is 10 months and gets so busy he forgets to eat. Im betting he is one of those babies who would wean early if I quit offering, so Ill defiantly not try that approach until he is two . Thanks for your advice.

And yes I did just get married we have been together for 10 years and decided it was time now that it was for us and not for the people who always use to pester us to get married. We were both married to other people when we were 19 and were not in a hurry to mess it up again . It was a wonderful private ceremony in front of our Christmas tree on Christmas morning. It was just us our two children, the chaplin who marries us and our witness, and that is just how we wanted it!! Thanks for asking

January 12th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
Don't offer don't refuse is a weaing method so I wouldn't start it until you are ready to wean, it never worked for me though You are giving your kiddo a great gift to want to nurse until at least 2. But you knew that.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 6, Xandria 4, Thayer 3, Alorah 1 and edd 7/9/05

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

January 12th, 2005, 06:56 PM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by Ana_and_Gage's_Mommy@Jan 12 2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks, my ds doesn't ask much, I often have to remind him, he is 10 months and gets so busy he forgets to eat. Im betting he is one of those babies who would wean early if I quit offering, so Ill defiantly not try that approach until he is two . Thanks for your advice.

And yes I did just get married we have been together for 10 years and decided it was time now that it was for us and not for the people who always use to pester us to get married. We were both married to other people when we were 19 and were not in a hurry to mess it up again . It was a wonderful private ceremony in front of our Christmas tree on Christmas morning. It was just us our two children, the chaplin who marries us and our witness, and that is just how we wanted it!! Thanks for asking
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

first, CONGRATS!
2nd .... Liam didn't ask much at that age either, but now ......... OH MAN ALIVE! urse? or in the ever wonderful "whine" "urrrrrrrsssssssssssiiiiiieeeeeeeessssss" ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

<sigh> I think I need to start napping with him again. I'm too short with him these days. <sigh>
January 12th, 2005, 07:38 PM
meant2bemommie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With Christopher Is soon as I didn't offer it he was pretty much like OK. He was only 1 but I had decided to stop because we found out i was pregnant again and I was cramping with I breast-fed so off he was at 1. i haven't decided with this one just yet.
March 4th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Veteran
What is considered too old?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search