Another AF Question

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2008, 06:06 PM
ElizabethAnn330's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm 6 months PP and just got my first AF today. I usually bf once or twice a day and pump the rest of the time. For the last week I've had a major dip in my supply- almost nonexistant! I thought my milk was drying up. I went from pumping around 5-6 ounces per session to about 1 ounce per session. And, J.J. got really angry when I tried to BF him- I simply did not have enough milk. I've never seen him throw a tanrum before. Now I know the low supply is because of the dreaded AF. I've had low supply issues before, but never this bad. I usually eat oatmeal in the morning and take More Milk Plus (which usually works great), but neither were helping. I was desperate so I started the Reglan that had been sitting in my cupboard for the last 4 months (I have always been able to avoid taking it up until now). It seems to be helping. My question is, is this low supply situation going to happen every month now that AF has arrived? I hope it's happening now just because it's my first AF PP. I don't know what to do. I can't take Reglan every month. I had about 6 days worth of frozen milk, but J.J. won't drink it. Something happens to the milk when I freeze it and he refuses to drink it- and his reflux acts up everytime I try to feed it to him. So, the frozen milk thing is out. I've been pumping like crazy to boost my supply, but now my nipples are really sore.

August 10th, 2008, 07:33 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Man, that stinks, I'm sorry!

You could try making Monster Cookies. They work great for some people:

1/4 cup butter, room temp
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup peanut butter
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
3 cups rolled oats
6 ounces m&ms

preheat oven to 350

Beat sugar, brown sugar and butter until creamy.
Add eggs, vanilla and baking soda and mix well.
Add peanut butter and mix.
Stir in oats, m&ms.
Place teaspoon full of dough on lightly greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly brown on edges.

I have not gotten my period yet, but from what I have heard from other moms in my playroom, the dip in supply is worse before the first period. I hope your supply comes back up and this doesn't happen next month!
August 11th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Usually a hormone-related supply issue is hard to override. Your best bet is to ride it out and continue doing what you are, pump more, keep well hydrated and take in plenty of calories, and nurse on demand. Have you ever tried just fengreek alone to boost your supply?
It should be temporary, so hopefully you'll see an increase in your supply very soon. I don't know if it will happen every month, I never experienced low supply during my periods. Hopefully it's just a one-time thing for you though!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

August 13th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Momofapeanut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine dropped also during my AF, then bounced back very quickly. I haven't noticed a drop yet this month, but I'm late so I'll let you know when I finally get around if it happens again. But I had a very noticeable drop, from 16 oz. down to about 8oz during my work day. Freaked me out!! I guess it slowly dropped over a week and then one day it was right back to normal again. Very weird!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search