This is upseting and Frustrating

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2008, 07:51 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
I really dont think I produce enough milk! My LO Is 2 month and still very pettite. Even when random people see her they think she's alot younger and underfeed. They always say she needs to eat more! She Is exclusivly BF. She's latched on from day one great so I know thats not the problem. She'll nurse for 30-45 mins every 1 1/2....I do one side at a time so I feel like I give other boob enough time to "fill back up". From 9pm till 11 she eats every hour!!! Then she'll wake back up at 3,5,7am feeding for 20-30 mins. I dont think she's getting enough sometimes. Like tonight Ive been feeding her 45 mins and then she'll pull off like shes done and be fine for 10 mins then her hunger comes back....ive got to keep her busy just so she'll stop crying cause she wants to eat again!! Ive tried Pacifiers and she wont latch on, she always gags!!! Ive looked growth spurts and it says not till 3 months. Is it possiable for her to be having another?? I dont know what to do, It's so frustrating!!!! She has a doc appt on fri so I get to find out how much she weighs then...
August 10th, 2008, 08:37 PM
SweetWife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think a lot of women at some point feel like they aren't making enough milk. I know for sure I have felt that way, because my daughter is small and petite. But she is gaining weight and she is usually happy after she eats and sleeping through the night. I remember when she was about 2 or 3 months she would eat at least every hour from about 3 PM to 9 PM. It's called cluster feeding. I would think to myself that I must not be making enough, but I was. It's important to let your baby eat as often as she wants, which I'm sure you're doing, so that your body will keep producing it as she needs it. It is really frustrating, but it's what they want! Just continue to do what you're doing!

August 10th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am sorry you are getting frustrated. You have to try and remember that every baby is different. I know in the May 08 PR we have perfectly healthy babies ranging from 10 lbs- 18 lbs. Like you said, your baby is petite and that may have nothing to do with how she eats. Just as long as you are getting enough pee and poop diapers and she is not losing weight, then your supply should be fine. She may not be very efficient at the breast and that is why she is eating frequently but it will get better with time. Eating every hour between 9-11 is cluster feeding and is very common, nothing to worry about. Julian is my first and I use to sit and nurse him for over an hour sometimes and he would be hungry again a little while later. He has only recently stopped doing that. He rarely goes 3 hours between feedings, unless he is sleeping. Sometimes he'll be hungry an hour later too. I would suggest that if she is acting like she is hungry, the best thing to do is to nurse her. That is helping to build your supply. As far as growth spurts, again every baby is different and may go through growth spurts at different times. I think the 3 months is just on average. I hope everything goes well at the appointment on Friday. Keep us posted.

August 11th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Are you or hubby short/small? I used to get the same comments about DD. She was always just below 25% on the doctor's charts... doc always said she was fine, it was strangers making the comments. Well, since I'm barely 5'2" and hubby is about 5'9", we are on the short end of "normal". So, it didn't surprise me that my kid was as well... and that's what I told the commenters... "Well, considering MY height, I never expected to be raising a future basketball star!"

Based on the picture in your siggie, your LO has nice chubby cheeks... underfed/malnourished babies do not have chubby cheeks. Just keep doing what you're doing. If you're really worried, ask your doc. Chances are, he/she will tell you that she's just fine.

Thank you Julia (Julka) for my BEAUTIFUL siggy!!
<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left">
</MARQUEE>
August 11th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Super Mommy
It's hard, but ignore the people. Are they doctors? Probably not. People always feel the need to comment.

As far as the evening feeding goes, very typical cluster feeding. Just plan for it every evening. I know that I"ll be nursing between 8 and 9 every evening, with 2 babies attached to me. I get some water and relax in bed and nod off occasionally until they are finished and ready to sleep. heaven!

August 11th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My LO used to feed all the time. He would nures every 1.5-2 hours for at the least 45 minutes a session. He is just now going 2.5 hours (sometimes longer if he's napping) and nursing about 20-30 mins. I agree with the others, just keep up with what you are doing, things will settle in another month. Let us know how she's grown on Friday-I bet you'll be surprised.

August 11th, 2008, 11:05 AM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
Quote:
Are you or hubby short/small? I used to get the same comments about DD. She was always just below 25% on the doctor's charts... doc always said she was fine, it was strangers making the comments. Well, since I'm barely 5'2" and hubby is about 5'9", we are on the short end of "normal". So, it didn't surprise me that my kid was as well... and that's what I told the commenters... "Well, considering MY height, I never expected to be raising a future basketball star!"

Based on the picture in your siggie, your LO has nice chubby cheeks... underfed/malnourished babies do not have chubby cheeks. Just keep doing what you're doing. If you're really worried, ask your doc. Chances are, he/she will tell you that she's just fine.[/b]

Ya, Im 5'2 and DH's 6'3. In her Ultrasound she had these long legs so we thought she was gonna be tall. She was only 18 inches, I was 19 when I was born DH was 21....Shes just little....
August 12th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Have you seen a lactation consultant about your latch? It's possible that her latch is not quite right, even though you said you think it is. She may be feeding so much not because you are not producing enough milk but because her latch isn't as good as it can be. If her latch is not quite right then she may not be that efficient at getting the milk out so it takes her longer to do so. It's worth looking into at least just to be sure since I know you've been concerned about her schedule from the beginning. It could be something a minor adjustment can fix.

August 12th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I remember those days. Still have them here and there. Like today. :/

August 12th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello,
Is it possible that your lo has some reflux? My DS was/is just like that. I would think he wanted to nurse all of the time but he actually has reflux. He NEVER spit up like is common with reflux but He would regurgitate milk and then swallow it again. Then he wanted to nuse again to sooth the acid Then, because he nursed again when he was already "full" he would reflux. It was a visious circle. Also, if you dont think this is a possibility you can try an all natural supplement called fenugreek. You can get it at any GNC store. You take 3 tablets 3 times a day and it will increase your milk supply. You still have to continue to nurse and/or pump frequently but it usually works in a day or two. I hope this helps.

Susan: Mom to 4 beautiful munchkins Sarah, Alexis, Joey, and Addison!
August 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What youre describing is normal for a BF baby. They eat often b/c the milk is so perfectly made for easy digestion. My daughter didnt go 3 hour stretches until she was over 6 months old & she too is on the petite side, but never undernourished or underfed. SHe ate too frequently to say that People are so accustomed to OVERweight babies too, so keep that in mind. The majority of our population formula feeds, has overweight babies & adults, and anythign NOT overweight is abnormal, which is the total opposite of what it should be.

Also - when you DO go to the Peds, ask them to compare your baby against the BF baby chart, not the standard chart which is normalized for FF babies, who WILL be bigger. The NORMAL is what BF babies are b/c we are MEANT to be BF.

Myd aughter was always below 25% on the regular charts, but on the WHO charts for BF babies, she was always right at average, or barely below. But even if shed been low on that, thats ok too - there HAVE to be people on the low end of the spectrum & not everyone can be considered 50th %ile. U know?

(((hugs)))

The best way to tell if shes getting enough though - if you want to ease your mind - is to count wet & Poopy diapers. The only way you can tell how much goes in is to count how much comes out. If shes getting wet diapers frequently - 5-6 wet/poopy diapers a day (totaly, not of each), then shes getting plenty And also - after a certain time, its also normal for BF babies to not poop as often (though we never had this luxury lol). They can go up to 10 days, b/c they have far less waste with Breastmilk!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 13th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I really dont think I produce enough milk! My LO Is 2 month and still very pettite. Even when random people see her they think she's alot younger and underfeed. They always say she needs to eat more! She Is exclusivly BF. She's latched on from day one great so I know thats not the problem. She'll nurse for 30-45 mins every 1 1/2....I do one side at a time so I feel like I give other boob enough time to "fill back up". From 9pm till 11 she eats every hour!!! Then she'll wake back up at 3,5,7am feeding for 20-30 mins. I dont think she's getting enough sometimes. Like tonight Ive been feeding her 45 mins and then she'll pull off like shes done and be fine for 10 mins then her hunger comes back....ive got to keep her busy just so she'll stop crying cause she wants to eat again!! Ive tried Pacifiers and she wont latch on, she always gags!!! Ive looked growth spurts and it says not till 3 months. Is it possiable for her to be having another?? I dont know what to do, It's so frustrating!!!! She has a doc appt on fri so I get to find out how much she weighs then... [/b]

Ignore random people, we all compare to what we are use to. For example both of my girls were over 9lbs at birth, so any baby who is between 9-11 lbs to me is a newborn even though the average 3 month old is that weight. The average breastfed baby nurses every 2 hours, so if you started nursing at 12 and finished ate 12:35 the next time would be at 2pm.....some babies nurse more frequently then that and some very lucky moms get a longer stretch...lol. My baby was still nursing every 2-3 hours at 15 months, it's only been this past month that she's been slowing down. It's important to not compare sizes so much, and to just look at how much she pees, and if she's gaining weight. It's also normal for them to stop and a few minutes later re-latch....there like us and sometimes take a break...lol, also growth spurts are only averages they say around 2 weeks, 6 weeks and 3 months but again it's just a guidline and they can differ from baby to baby. Beyond growth spurts other reasons that I have noticed an increase in nursing have been because of teething (when teething periods are bad it's been just like a growth spurt--but worse in the crying in between), also if either of mine were sick or just not feeling well, overtired(missed naps etc) they sometimes increased there nursing as well.
August 14th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I just saw in your other post that you use a nipple shield. Per kellymom, nipple shields can inhibit the transfer of milk. Why do you use it? Can you work toward weaning her off the shield? I think if you could wean from the shield she would be able to get more milk out in less time.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search