Think I figured out the breast pains...

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2008, 09:09 PM
LaceyAnnLance Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to LaceyAnnLance Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to LaceyAnnLance Mommy
Well tonight I had to call my moms friend and ask why does it hurt sooo bad when he feeds for more then 5 minutes on either side.. I know I have a good latch I mean I've breastfed before and learned that the hard way... Well while I was explaining to her how it feels and where its hurting, (on the areolia under the nipple) if finally dawned on me, he has such a powerful suck that he is sucking the crap out of my areolia, or however you spell that. I mean its like a dry suck and I can't even explain the pain.. Its nothing like when he has just the nipple.. I can stand that for a time but not this... I drove to 3 different stores tonight looking for a nipple shield and couldn't find one.. My moms friend said if I use a shiel then he won't be able to get ahold to the areolia skin so it won't hurt... I mean I can pump forever and never hurt once... Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my beautiful siggy!!
August 10th, 2008, 10:17 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sounds an awful lot like thrush!

Are there any other symptoms?

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Moldovandish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If it doesn't hurt when pumping, then maybe he has a strong suck or something. My daughter had a poor suck for a long time and was hurting me badly. Then when she finally learned to suck correctly, she would once in a while have a very strong suck and I could tell the difference.
When she was 4-5 weeks old, I had to do tongue exercise with her to teach her to suck correctly. We also used the soothie pacifier that was supposed to help as well.

Baby Caleb - born on Sept. 15, 11.31 pm, 8 lb. 15 oz.
August 11th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Even if he was taking in too much of the areola, it should hurt that bad. How old was he when you first started to notice it and do you ever have nipple/breast pain in between or at the beginning of nursing him?

Expecting baby #4!

August 14th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Jenlovinlife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had that problem with my daughter. She clamped down WAY too hard. I never thought the pain was going to go away. I don't know if my breasts toughened up or what but they don't hurt really anymore. Every so often it will but for the most part it's better. I didn't really do anything b/c I don't think you can when the baby is just claming her jaws too tight. Wish I had more for you but just wanted to say I feel your pain & hope it gets better!!
2 beautiful girls!

My Girls. Feel the love!

Member of these groups!
Postbaby Weightloss ~ Blogging Mommies ~ 30 something fitness group

Trying to lose the pounds ~ Two is enough for me! ~ Home Business Mommies!

Girl Power ~ Self-Employed Mommies (Full & Part Time) ~ Histio Awareness

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search