restart breastfeeding possible??

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Super Mommy
hey everyone. just wanted some opinions. i was bfing since day one, then i got sick and had to be put on steroids. so i had to stop bfing unfortunately after a month. i felt kinda guilty about it but i had no choice. so the dr is now weaning me from the steroids and since i had been on it i was pumping and dumping. ive stopped pumping now for 2 weeks but occassionally ill still leak esply when im holding my daughter in my arms close to my breasts.

im almost done with the wean of the meds, im assuming ill be done in 2 weeks and the medicine should be out of my system within a couple days (they say). i have a feeling ill still be leaking.

is it possible for the milk to come in again? if so, would you guys (who are interested in bfing) try to restart bfing with the baby? id wait another week i think after i finished the meds, if i did try. so she'd be about 2.5-3 months by then.

i thought of all the cons. the sore nipples again, having to pump when i go to work 2 days a week, having to go in another room or cover up when ppl are over. but all the cons are inconveniences to ME. i guess what id like to know is, IS there a benefit to restarting bfing (if its possible)? have ppl done it? my plan WAS to bf until 6-9mos but then i got sick.

thanks!
August 11th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's very possible and it's great that you are thinking about it. It will be a little time consuming at first, but it will get better once your supply is back up.

My best suggestion is to start working with a lactation consultant ASAP. You'll need some one-on-one support and help to get you back on track. Since you will still be on the meds for another week or two, you don't want to nurse, but you can pump. You can start by pumping every 2-3 hours. Don't expect to get much if anything at first, but everything you pump, you stimulate your milk production. You will slowly see an increase until you are getting a good amount each time you pump. You can also you an herb, like fenugreek to help increase your supply once you start pumping. You will need that one-on-one support to help you get your baby latched back on though. She may be a little resistent at first if she's been taking a bottle for a while, and will have to relearn how to latch onto the breast since it's different from the bottle.

This link from Kellymom links to all of thier information that you will need to get started. There's information on relactation, increasing milk supply, and getting your baby back to breast. Hopefully that can get you started and let us know when you have any other questions!

August 11th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Super Mommy
thank you that was very helpful. i didn think about the latching. that s very true. my daughter had a hard time latching at first, she sucks on her on tongue and had to be kinda taught by the LC in teh hosp how to latch correctly. she also (when we got home) got in a bad habit of sucking on just my nipple down the line, gradually. and i let her bc she d fuss. and id be the one in pain....so much to think about!!!
thanks tho!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search