cloth/wool breastpads?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2008, 12:33 PM
.erin.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would love to use cloth or wool breastpads, but I'm just not sure if I can! With my first baby I used some that my mom made with a couple layers of flannel when I was pregnant. They worked until my milk came in, and then I was a heavy leaker. I leaked so much at first that I would have to use a towel when I nursed under the baby and on the other side too. I ended up using the lansinoh ones, but I would prefer to use cloth since they are more comfortable. I found these: http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.p...products_id=124 and there are great reviews on them, but I would have to spend $50 if I wanted two pairs. I don't know if it would be worth it when I'm not sure if I would spend that much on disposables. I also don't know if they really would absorb enough like I need. Can anyone recommend cloth nursing pads that are really absorbent?

August 11th, 2008, 01:46 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I think Lala has recommended those ones and said you only need one pair. You can apparently use them forever before needing to wash them, and when you do it's by hand and they dry quickly. Hope she sees this and can offer advice.
August 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Mikasa's Avatar Mom of 2 girls and 1 boy!
I have heard that if you are a heavy leaker then the cloth ones don't work as well. I use Lansinoh ones during the day and I made some cotton flannel ones that I use at night (they show under clothes which is why I only wear them when I am going to bed and no one is going to see me ) I made some thicker ones that are 6 layers (most are 4) so you could maybe try to make some that are thicker and will absorb more milk.

August 11th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Honestly if you are a leaker you will eventually spend $50.00 on disposables. Lawson is 3 and a half months old and I have bought approximately 8 boxes of breastpads at $10 a box that is a lot although I didnt have to spend it all at one time...

I am not a big leaker... I leaked a bit in the beginning and I usually have a small leak from the opposite breast he is feeding from now. I went through 3 boxes the first month (I changed frequently at first due to leaking and then due to thrush) and now I buy a box about every month. I only wear one pair a day and although most times I cant tell that anything is in them I dont reuse them just in case plus they get a little worn out with the opening the flaps to my bra all the time.

So I think maybe if you are really interested in those you should get 1 pair to make sure they work for you and then if they do order another pair.

HTH

(1)
August 11th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
At night, since how I looked didn't matter, I would double up on cloth nursing pads. I bought the Gerber ones, but just one set never did it. I leaked through them at almost every letdown. I'd like to try the wool this time around but I'm hoping like many BTDT moms, I won't leak as much or at all.

August 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Mikasa's Avatar Mom of 2 girls and 1 boy!
Quote:
I'm hoping like many BTDT moms, I won't leak as much or at all.[/b]
So, totally off topic, but this time around I leak sooo much less! I had no idea that it could be because she's my 2nd! With my first I had to change my nursing pads every 3-4 hours, this time I change them once a day and they are no where near full.

August 12th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MamaMelly
I bought those same ones, and after a few days I leaked right through them. I'm not really a heay leaker either. I dunno, lots of people recommend them though. I'd buy one pair and see how you like them.
August 13th, 2008, 08:49 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wool nursing pads are awesome. I'm a heavy leaker, went through disposable ones like they were going out of style & cloth ones showed so badly through my clothes and still leaked. I tried wool after being pretty skeptical, but on the insistance of all my friends, and voila - magic. They work great, and they don't leak, theyre "green", and they cost less in the long run. Heck even in the short run. I spend $50 in nursing pads in just a few weeks innitially, and once I bought wool pads, I never used any others.

I bought mine from cottonbabies.com - they come in different sizes & they do run a little large, you can stretch them while wet or form them to make them a little smaller. I bought a small but I"m only a 34B - friends of mine who are larger chested wore M's & L's though.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search