Woman asked to cover up on airplane

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Mikasa's Avatar Mom of 2 girls and 1 boy!
http://www.gadling.com/2008/08/10/put-thos...7802x1200404643

The only people in her row was her family, yet the flight attendant kept asking her to cover up, telling her that some men think it is offensive! I can tell you that traveling with a baby is not easy, and I would be so mad if someone said anything to me! I am one to always cover up, but what's the big deal if you don't want to. Leave moms alone that are only trying to feed their baby, who wants a screaming hungry baby on their flight? I don't! And if that baby is not used to being covered up when he is eating, I'm sure he would have a fit if she was forced to!

August 11th, 2008, 03:44 PM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
ugh that makes me so angry!!! The problem is that most men, and women for that matter, IMO, see breasts as sexual objects. They are for feeding babies!!! That's their purpose people!! Good for her for refusing to cover up.
I know Jacob hates to be covered when eating! There are lots of babies like that too.
August 11th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Why don't these morons put a blanket over THEIR head so they don't have to see???

August 11th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Why don't these morons put a blanket over THEIR head so they don't have to see???[/b]
I second that!!!

(1)
August 11th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
That is so sad. But, because of it, I got curious, and started looking into breastfeeding laws. Sadly, I couldn't find any that have to do with airlines. So, I don't know how that would work. Would they fall under whatever state their hub is at?

It seems that most breastfeeding laws are only about allowing women to breastfeed in public areas. IN absence of a law, it cannot be "banned", but that doesn't mean it is allowed. It's kind of the owners discretion on whether or not it's okay in a business location. But then, even when there are laws saying you can't tell a nursing mother to stop, there usually aren't any laws to help protect your lawful rights to do so. In other words, there's no enforcement of those laws.

That being said...I don't think either the mom or the flight attendant were wrong. I think it was fine for the flight attendant to ask the mom to cover up, and I think it was fine for the mom to say no. And, I think it should have ended there. Besides, if you really read the article, it says that the mom was being discreet, and that she was sitting with her family. How in the world could anyone have even seen what she was doing? Not only that, but if it was someone just walking by, they passed her and they couldn't see her anymore then!

I think what bothers me most is how many women are offended, and saying that when they are in public they go into the bathrooms. (Sorry, I really hope I'm not offending anyone here if they do this) I think it's this attitude that is causing so many problems. The only time I've ever seen too much of a womens breast while feeding a baby, is when I was looking. It's usually an accident when the baby quickly pulled away. So, what do I do? I look away. That brief glimpse you get is over so quickly, you hardly know what you saw, and if you even really saw it. Anytime I've seen a woman breastfeed in a restaurant or in a mall, even if they don't use a blanket, has always been very careful to make sure they aren't exposed.

I think the people who are the most upset about this are the ones that are generally unaccepting of breastfeeding, and it really has nothing to do with seeing any breast.

I think we need to somehow get a NATIONAL law enacted that makes breastfeeding in any public location legal, and have it able to be enforced. That we cannot be asked to leave, or cover up. Now, if it's a private location, then I think the owner has a right to suggest an alternative. I mean, a state may have laws saying it is okay to smoke in buildings, but an owner can still say "No Smoking". I don't know, it gets confusing.

I don't cover up in public when I nurse. Donovan gets SOOO hot when he nurses. He drips sweat. And that is when he is in a onesie and not covered by anything! I have quickly learned how to nurse and stay covered the whole time. But, when I am somewhere "more public" like a restaurant or something, I've learned how to wrap the blanket behind me, around my side, and behind Donovan. That way my side is covered so no one can see any side booby, but Donovan isn't covered and getting hot. My shirt is down next to his face, and so all booby is "covered".
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

August 12th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it's a pretty sad commentary on our society in general that there NEEDS to be a law protecting a woman's right to feed her baby. I'd kinda figure that should come under basic, understood human rights.

August 12th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
God....they are just boobs!!! Half of everybody of this planet has them...people need to get over it!! ....so frustrating!!

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
August 12th, 2008, 07:29 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I HOPE SHE SUED THE AIRLINE!!

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
August 13th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Momofapeanut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
eh she should've just told her to stick it. What are they gonna do? Throw them off the plane???? Make an unscheduled stop? Think not!

I would've been the one to make a fuss "you're making ME uncomfortable. Quit staring at my breasts!! What's your supervisor's name, I'm reporting YOU for unwanted sexual advances." I bet the flight attendent would've stuffed it then.

Then I would've written a lovely letter detailing how the flight attendent was obsessed with my breasts and making my child uncomfortable while I was trying to nurse. That "sexual" object thing can go both ways...

There shouldn't be laws. There shouldn't be any reason to sue either. The view of the flight attendent is not that of the airline. I'd want HER TOOSH repremanded, not monetary gain.
August 13th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
i bet if some hoochie mama was showing off her cleavage no one would have asked her to cover up!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search