suggestions for keeping supply up?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2008, 06:30 PM
DonovinsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Looking for some suggestions on keeping up my supply.? I have a week worth of orientation and I have no time to pump soooo..... I go to bed around 11ish baby sleeps all night. Next feeding is around 545am... Feed him one more time around 730am... go to orientation at 745am. Get home at 445pm and feed the baby every 2 hours after. pumping at those feedings as well. Will i survive the week?

Plus I will be working 2 days a week and everyother weekend so need some suggestions then too...do I have to pump while I away or is there another answer?
August 11th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Why can you not pump? All you need is a 10 minute break every 2 hours or so. You might need to pump longer than that, but you would need at least that. Is it an orientation for work? If yes, I think employers are required, by law, to give you time and a place to pump. I'm sure some other mommies can confirm or deny that here.

Other than nursing or pumping, I know of no other way to keep up your supply.
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

August 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
At 3 months of breastfeeding, I would say you need to pump at least every 3 hours, possibly 4. It only takes me 7 minutes to pump, maybe three to set up and tear down. Do you get a lunch break? If so, pack a lunch and find a meeting room to pump on during that break, one session would be better than none. I am afraid your supply would suffer terribly if you went a whole week without feeding during that time.. you'd probably stop making milk during that time, similar to when you go during the night without nursing.
August 11th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
He's still so young, you'll need to pump or nurse to keep up your supply. There really isn't a way around it, your milk supply works on supply and demand. If you don't demand it, your body will not supply it.

August 11th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks ladies...i was in fear of that! I will work something out!!!

Wendy I love your son's name My son's name is Donovin too His daddy picked the spelling tho!

(wants him to have the nickname Vinny if someone HAS to call him by a nickname!)
August 11th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You might be okay as long as you can still feed in the morning, pump at least once, and then feed in the evenings.

I exclusively pumped for our first son for 4 months (and had extra to store) and was only able to pump 4x a day for Mon-Fri.

I have been on vacation for almost a week and have been pumping 3 or 4x a day and have been getting 36-42 oz each day.

You may suffer a dip, so maybe plan to spend the weekend nursing and possibly pumping too.
August 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks for your help ladies!!! Just 3 more days to go

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search