New nursing mom question about green poop

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
Hi, I'm Jen and I had my first baby, Matilda Riley, on July 4th and although we got off to a rocky start, I'm proud to say that I've been exclusively bfing for her whole life so far!

Last week she started having green poops. Not frothy, same consistency as her normal yellow poops, kind of slimy with the occasional seediness or curds.
She doesn't really seem much more gassy than normal, but she's an awfully laid back baby most of the time.

Anyway, it started a few days before her one month check up, so I asked the pediatrician about it. He said that it was probably a virus and should go aways after 3-7 days. Well, as of today (10 days after it started) she's still having green poops. Not every time, but she usually has 4-6 soiled diapers a day and I'd say that at least 2 of them have been green each day for the last 10 days.

My ped said that if it hadn't gone away, the next step would be to eliminate dairy from my diet to see if it's a reaction to cows milk protiens.
I've also heard that green poops can be a sign of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, but I've been block feeding, she still eats on the same schedule (except for the new cluster-feeding from 4:30-8 that started 5 days ago), and the poops aren't frothy, so I don't know if that's really it.

So I'm looking for advice on how to handle this. Do I need to immediately eliminate ALL dairy (including things cooked in butter and prepared foods that have milk solids or dry milk in them) or should I start with cutting out just milk, and working my way up from there if that doesn't work?

I'm bummed about this--I've already had to cut garlic because she won't take my milk when I eat garlic, and I love garlic! I've also always been a big milk drinker and tend to eat a lot of dairy. I'm willing to give it up if that's what my little girl needs, but I'm really hoping to have this make as little of an impact on me as possible because I frankly am not looking forward to bfing being any more difficult than it already was, especially when I'm feeling like we've just really gotten the hang of it.

Also, any other ideas on what the green poop might be? Can it be normal for a kid to just have green poop? She doesn't have a fever or rash or runny nose or extra gas that she didn't have before and doesn't seem distressed--could there just be nothing wrong?

August 11th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Are you feeding on both sides or just one side at each feeding? I've read that green poop could mean too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk.
August 11th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My little guy had green poops for a few days, then it was gone, then it was back. The only thing that coincided with the poop was when I was eating Doritos, so it may be something you ate. Also, as long as there doesn't seem to be discomfort from it, I wouldn't worry too much. I read that poop can vary from yellow-green-brown.
August 12th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Van gets green poops every now and then. I find it's because of something I ate. Often a "gassy" food or dairy.

My Ovulation Chart

August 12th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally know what you are going throuh!! I dealt with this too and was told by many..including MD's and LC's what it "might be"....I had an oversupply issue so I was block feeding and trying to get that under control but ended up with plugged ducts. At this point that issue is much better, but he still has green poop sometimes. I also have been off dairy for a skin issue that Carter had, but I thought it might have been causing the green poops also...nope they are still sometimes green. The bottom line is that it could be so many things and if he doesn't seem bothered and is not extra gassy or uncomfortable and he is gaining weight like he is supposed to don't worry about it!!

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
August 12th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Grant has reflux so I went off all dairy about a month ago. Then he broke out in hives so I went on the TED to try to track that down. All I ate was turkey, rice, potatoes, squash and pears along with some oliver oil, salt and pepper for a few weeks. During that time his poops were a little green (greenish yellow). He seemed otherwise fine, no hives, no gas, no reflux. I decided to stop making myself crazy about his poops because if I cut down to the bare bones diet like that and it was STILL a little green - there's nothing more I can do. My ped said it's within the range of normal too. If it's green and frothy it means a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance but I believe that also comes with other issues like gassiness and poor weight gain. If your baby is happy and gaining I wouldn't worry about it. Well I probably WOULD but I SHOULDN'T. He still gets green poops a couple of times a day every so often and I'm learning to let it go. I have oversupply too and block feed.

August 12th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She had lots of green poopy diapers, I feed off of one side. I found no link between what I ate with it. She rarely has them now; she grew out of it. She just saw her doctor yesterday, shes perfectly healthy so I know it wasnt "bad". I even had it checked when she had some blackish spots in it by an ER doctor and pedi and they both said it was normal. Although that was a one time thing (black spots) it was green they said was ok.

August 13th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Green poop can be normal.......normally if it's caused by hindmilk/foremilk it's more bright in color, it it's due to a virus it normally won't last long and the poop should be more like watery. I dealt with this with my second dd who had green poop from about 3 months to about 10 months, though she would have "normal" colored ones as well. After speaking with doctors nurses and getting second opionions (because I thought for sure there had to be some problem). It could be caused by something in your diet, but if it's not bothering the baby they I wouldn't worry about it. For example in kids you will sometimes see green poop when the drink certain kool-aids or eating m&m's or anything with a lot dye in it.

http://www.justmommies.com/articles/baby-poop.shtml

this link has a list of causes for green poop and here is the listing for other reasons:
Other reasons - Sometimes babies just have greenish colored poop. The range of color in baby’s poops can vary. Any range of yellow, mustard to yellow/green is pretty normal for a baby. If baby is gaining well and happy then there is nothing to worry about.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search