How do you do it?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am due in just a few weeks and wanted to know how you ladies do it? I am worrying about having to be fully awake every two hours to nurse my newborn and still having enough energy to look after my 2 y/o DD..... Do you have any tips, suggestions?

August 12th, 2008, 07:54 AM
skat's Avatar Veteran
Hi! Congrats on your pregnancy!

I have two daughters...2 years and almost 9 months. They are just shy of 19 months apart, but Katy and I (my 9 month old) are still going strong in our BF'ing relationship. You can do this!

I just wanted to address you concern with being awake every two hours to nurse. Katy is still waking every 1.5-2 hours at night. It's been a looong raod and I expect it to continue for awhile, but what has helped me is learning to nurse in the side-lying position. Neither one of us is fully awake since we part-time co-sleep and nurse lying down. It takes some practice, but WELL worth it.

</div>

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Arial Black">Sarah- Loving mama to Ally and Katy</div></span>
August 12th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This is my first so I don't know how it would go with an older child in the house but the lack of sleep didn't really hit me til about 6 weeks and by then he started sleeping a bit more during the night. Maybe I was running on adrenaline, I don't know. It's not like feeding formula is a guarantee of 8 hours of straight sleep in a newborn either.

August 12th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The first couple of weeks not as bad as I expected. I think my body was okay with the bits of broken sleep because it knew it had to be. The one thing I have done more often than not, is to put my 3 yr old down for a nap and then take the baby to my room and lay down and nurse him to sleep. We all get a good 2 hour nap that way. I also nurse laying down throughout the night and have baby in the cosleeper or in my bed. I think that's the only way to get any sleep. Best of luck to you!
August 12th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ditto the side lying position. At night I am never fully awake when feeding. Heck, most of the time I only barely rouse long enough to hook him up and I doze back off. He sleeps while he eats so it works great for us. MUCH better than having to get up and actually fix a bottle. I think then I would be completely exhausted.

The nap idea is great too if you can get your LO to take a nap. Landon quit taking naps long before Lawson arrived! Landon was in Pre-K when I had Lawson so that gave me the ability to nap during the day when he was at school. Then when Pre-K got out about a month after I had Lawson, I let Landon continue to go to daycare because they were in summer camp and got to go to field trips like 3-4 days out of the week and I felt like that would be more fun for him than sitting at home watching mom feed the baby all day. Plus I had a pretty bad case of post partum so it was helpful there as well. And then I would have one on one time with the baby like Landon got when he was a baby. I would also pick Landon up early at school to spend more time with him while baby was sleeping.

I know this wont work for everyone but it worked out well for us.

You will find a way to make it through

(1)
August 12th, 2008, 05:09 PM
marcella's Avatar Veteran
Side lying while you co sleep! That is the ONLY way I could get any substantial amount of sleep when my ds came home. Good luck
August 12th, 2008, 06:59 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i agree with co sleeping and nursing while lying on your side. that is what we do and neither of us fully wake up during a feeding.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
August 13th, 2008, 06:46 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Co-sleeping is great! Another thing that helped me was setting small goals, like 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, etc. That way when you feel overwhelmed, your goal feels more realistic than something like one whole year. You can totally do this!!! Congrats!!!
August 14th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was blessed with a 2nd baby who loves to sleep (5 hours, nurse, 3 hours or so) and then several naps throughout the day. He's 10 weeks now and has been sleeping about 8-10 hours/night for the past week.

I have a 3year old, so a little easier to manage than a 2 year old (bc they usually understand about needing to be patient). I found that if my 3 year old needed something while I am nursing, that if I can't get it, I offer to let him watch a quick show instead and then get him what he needs after nursing. Not necessarily the best solution, but it works for us!

Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search