bottles and breastfeeding

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey everyone. Im new to getting ready to breastfeed my LO when she is born in Dec. I want to be able to pump so my mom and DH can feed the baby, but do I need the bottles that are the same brand as the pump I want? Or can I use something like playtex drop ins? Thanks for any info!

August 13th, 2008, 07:18 PM
KimberlyD0
ZI use the platex drop ins but have a medela pump
August 13th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Doesnt matter if they match or not, you can always pour the milk into whatever bottle you use.

August 13th, 2008, 10:16 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It doesnt matter, but I would caution against stocking up on any one brand or type just yet. Many babies have a very distinct preference, regardless of what you introduce them to first. Just simply b/c bottles & the breast are so drastically differnet & despite how they try to advertise, NONE are more "like' the breast than others - the feel can put off some babies & the shape can put off others, while some will take any bottle at all.

I would maybe buy 1 or 2 different ones, introduce them after 4 - 6 weeks to avoid nipple confusion & any interference with BFing, and then once you know which ones your baby prefers, buy a few extra. If you just pump for during the day while youre working you also probably won't need that many.

Lala....

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 14th, 2008, 07:02 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I agree with the other ladies. I also just wanted to suggest that you put off pumping for AT LEAST 6 weeks, not only to avoid nipple confusion for the baby but also to let your supply regulate before you start pumping. I pumped a lot the first 6 weeks and had major oversupply issues that I had to work hard to get down. It was a mess!
August 14th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a Ameda Purely Yours and use Playtex bottles. I either pump in the Ameda bottles or into the Playtex liners, using the Playtex One Step System.
August 14th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
It doesnt matter, but I would caution against stocking up on any one brand or type just yet. Many babies have a very distinct preference, regardless of what you introduce them to first. Just simply b/c bottles & the breast are so drastically differnet & despite how they try to advertise, NONE are more "like' the breast than others - the feel can put off some babies & the shape can put off others, while some will take any bottle at all.[/b]
Ditto! I have a whole box of bottles in my basement right now, all different brands. I pulled out 3-4 of each kind (if I had that many) and am trying to get rid of the rest. I'm hoping this baby will be a little less picky and we can find a bottle she is willing to accept.

August 14th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
It doesnt matter, but I would caution against stocking up on any one brand or type just yet. Many babies have a very distinct preference, regardless of what you introduce them to first. Just simply b/c bottles & the breast are so drastically differnet & despite how they try to advertise, NONE are more "like' the breast than others - the feel can put off some babies & the shape can put off others, while some will take any bottle at all.[/b]
Ditto! I have a whole box of bottles in my basement right now, all different brands. I pulled out 3-4 of each kind (if I had that many) and am trying to get rid of the rest. I'm hoping this baby will be a little less picky and we can find a bottle she is willing to accept.
[/b][/quote]

Double ditto. I've probably spent over $200 on bottles and nipples, I could run a daycare I have so many brand new bottles in my place I have a freezer stash, but thats mostly for down the road when shes taking a sippy cup, Im only introducing that now cause she refuses a bottle.

August 14th, 2008, 11:55 AM
KimberlyD0
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
[/b][/quote]

Got any Platex drop in bottles in there?? I'll take them off your hands
August 14th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Sweetpea0708's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via MSN to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via Yahoo to Sweetpea0708
Quote:
It doesnt matter, but I would caution against stocking up on any one brand or type just yet. Many babies have a very distinct preference, regardless of what you introduce them to first. Just simply b/c bottles & the breast are so drastically differnet & despite how they try to advertise, NONE are more "like' the breast than others - the feel can put off some babies & the shape can put off others, while some will take any bottle at all.

I would maybe buy 1 or 2 different ones, introduce them after 4 - 6 weeks to avoid nipple confusion & any interference with BFing, and then once you know which ones your baby prefers, buy a few extra. If you just pump for during the day while youre working you also probably won't need that many.

Lala....[/b]

I have the bottles that came with my Avent Isis Manual and I bought a ton Medela bottles/nipples, but my LO prefers the Gerber NUK nipples, and even that is a session by session basis he really prefers the breast above them all because he can control the flow better.

I also agree to hold off pumping if you can, I pumped earlier to let my nips heal, but it was only for two days for about 2 sessions each day (it did wonders though!). Even though you can avoid nipple confusion by feeding with a cup or dropper, it can mess with your supply if you pump too much.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search