Hey everyone

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM
08baby's Avatar Veteran
I know I don't post here but I just wanted to ask a question ... I kind of want to ween my daughter I have been pregnant or BF now for 4 year's and I am so worn out on it ... MY hormones are crazy and most of the time I want to crawl in a corner and just cry . My question is will it hurt her if I don't bf her ? Should I just stick it out intill she's a year ? She doesnt seem into BF like my son was

August 14th, 2008, 05:29 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, personally, my opinion - for various reasons which I can list more of them if youd like - is that it really is in her best interest for you to nurse to at least a year. If youve gone this long, and shes not got much longer, the benefits far outweight the cons. Its probably a bit difficult, I'm sure, I know the worn out feeling all too well - but it does pass, and it's more likely you'd regret it if you base it off this feeling alone since it is most surely not only temporary, but also the ONLY reason you've listed. But honestly, even if you listed 10 other reasons why you would want to just wean her now, I could list 50 why it would be best to continue.

I feel like maybe I should have prefaced this post with just how passionate I am about it lol

With that said - since you *are* pg - it is likely that your daughter may wean herself as your milk changes esp if shes "not as into it". Your milk usually will naturally decrease around 5 months, at which time she may decide that it's simply too much work & shes just too darn busy.

Personally, I would strongly encourage you to wait it out. It's tough, no doubt, but everything in life worth having & doing is. If it were easy, anyone could do this job

But of course that doesnt mean that you don't need support to tough it through - and thats what boards like this are for Also - you may want to consider popping over to a local LLL meeting in your area. They are so great for things like this. I am part of one, and it really is my saving grace sometimes - its one thing to read others suggestions & helpful advice, its really a whole other ballgame to be able to go out, relax with other moms who are in your shoes & let the kids play & just not have to worry about everything for once. You'll get helpful advice & information of course, but chances are pretty high that theres at least one other mom there in your shoes, or who has BTDT, and it always is helpful to see how they stayed sane

Good luck,
Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 14th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Weaning is definitely a personal choice, but I agree that there are many benefits to continuing breastfeeding to a year. At this point, you would have to introduce a bottle to wean her (if she doesn't take one already) which could take a while. Plus, you are probably working on introducing solids soon, which means how much she nurses will likely cut down a lot over the next few months. If she isn't as interested in breastfeeding as your first, then she may wean herself much earlier than he did. Chances are, she won't develop any serious problems to go to formula feeding, but if you haven't fed formula already, it is different than breastfeeding. Formula is known to constipate since it digests much slower. Formula fed babies also tend to have more stomach issues in general. Breastmilk is overall easier on a babies system, and contains many antibodies that continue to help your babies immune system strengthen.
Hopefully the way you are feeling is temporary, I know I've had some down moments about breastfeeding over the past few years. Usually, I get through it in a day or two and am back to loving breastfeeding. I just have to remind myself of why I love nursing so much which is why I do it in the first place. Now when I think about weaning, it makes me sad, because I know I really don't want it to come to an end. I feel fortunate we still have such a strong bond through nursing! Maybe give it a few days and reevaluate things then to see how you feel.

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
August 15th, 2008, 09:33 AM
08baby's Avatar Veteran
Well I thought about it and I am just going to BF intill she is a year ! Which is just 6 more month's I think I was just having a bad night and I really don't want to ween her just yet .

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search