Any mom using a nipple shield and STILL have pain?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2008, 12:01 PM
first_timer29's Avatar Veteran
Madison is 7 days old today and up until a day or so ago breast feeding has been going great. While I was in the hospital we were having some trouble getting her to latch to the lactation consultant gave me a nipple shield and told me to use that. We have been feeding fine every since then. Well night before last I noticed some soreness in my right nipple right on the very end when she first latched on - once she got going it was ok- now it seems that both nipples are VERY sore (only on the very, very end) the right nipple even has a blood spot on it and peels some times - it's right on the end where the milk comes out -

Anyone else have this pain or have any suggestion? I don't think I will be able to breast feed at her next feeding because the pain is so bad.

Thank you Helen for a beautiful Siggy

August 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Sweetpea0708's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via MSN to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via Yahoo to Sweetpea0708
I had pain still, it was excruciating but my nips were still healing from before the nipple sheild. They peeled for a while even after the nipple sheild and then when they healed it stopped (somehow I managed to make it through the pain). I'm not sure in your case though because it's happening after, but it may be your body healing. If you have a pump, try giving her EBM to give your nipples a break.

ETA: If you are worried about nipple confusion, you can feed her the EBM from a dropper or cup....

August 14th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sudden pain like that indicates there is a problem. She could be latching on wrong because of the shield or you are developing thrush. Since your nipple is bleeding, there's a good chance it's cracking because of the shield or a bad latch. Get back in to see your lacation consultant ASAP and re-evaluate things. Have you tried nursing without the shield?
Just remember, the pain is temporary. It's hard, I know, I've been there, but try to push through it. There is always a light at the end of the tunnel. Starting to supplement now is only going to cause more problems, especially when she is so young. Your supply will decrease if you stop nursing her or miss a feeding, so if you do decide to skip one, you'll want to pump in place of it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search