Vacation without the kids

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So, hubby was just told that he won some major award thingy at work (he works for NASA)... and the award ceremony is part of the pre-launch "stuff" for the space shuttle flight in October. He gets a trip for two to FL for 5 days. We'll get to meet the flight crew and do all kinds of "behind-the-scenes" tours and stuff that the general public NEVER gets to do. It truly is a "once in a lifetime" kind of thing... especially since there aren't that many shuttle flights left. This is a HUGE honor, and I'm really proud of him. We are super-excited!

But... we can't take the kids. We're going to have MIL come down for a week and babysit. Luckily, she is VERY pro-breastfeeding, so I don't have to worry about her sabatoging that. Sean already gets bottles at daycare, and has no problems with nipple confusion or anything like that (I know, I'm very lucky!!!). Sean will be almost 6 months when we go.

Starting tonight, I will be pumping like mad to get a week's supply of milk in the freezer. He takes 4 bottles a day at daycare (7 - 8 oz each) and nurses once in the morning and 3 times in the evening. I don't think he gets as much at one time during the evening nursing... because the few times that we've had to give him a bottle in the evening, he only takes about 5oz. So, I'm thinking I need to have at least 50oz per day stored. That's 350oz over the course of the next 8 weeks. I have about 60oz in the freezer right now. I REALLY need to boost my supply! I've done Fenugreek (as much as 12/day) and Mother's Milk tea with no discernable results... I eat oatmeal for breakfast, and monster cookies for snacks... I drink more water than ANYONE I know. I don't know what else to do! I generally pump about 25oz per day, so I've been having the daycare supplement with formula when needed... but I don't want him to have LOTS of formula while I'm gone. I've thought about asking my doc about the prescription stuff... but I'm worried about side-effects, and I don't know if she'll write the script just so I can pump enough to go on vacation.

Also, I will be taking my pump along with me to FL, and pumping whenever I can... but how do I bring the milk home? Should I pack it with dry-ice and ship it to myself? Use a cooler and check it? If I do that, will TSA unpack the cooler? I know that if you have a baby with you, you can bring milk in your carry-on... but I won't have a baby with me, just his food! Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!!!

*edit*
I just wanted to add... I use an Ameda Purely Yours pump when I pump at work. Would it be worth it to rent a hospital-grade pump for 2 months? Do they get more milk out? And, can they run on batteries? The room where I pump at work doesn't have any electrical outlets.

Thank you Julia (Julka) for my BEAUTIFUL siggy!!
<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left">
</MARQUEE>
August 14th, 2008, 04:02 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is there a way she could accompany you for the trip even if you have to come out of pocket a little? she could babysit while you take advantage of the perks?

I had to do somethign similar b/c unfortunately - you really cant predict what will happen when youre gone. Some babies will nurse less others will often nurse more b/c they miss mommy.

I ended up paying my cousin to come, getting her a room, and she kept baby while I did all the stuff, I still nursed baby but also pumped & bottle fed when i was gone.

I dunno, I would want to go too - but I think Id try to find a way to bring baby. IMO, its just too difficult to try to take care of the worst case scenario (baby eats more than usual for comfort).

It may work though - I know a lot of moms have done it. But - also keep inmind, your supply may take a hit so be prepared to play catch up when you get home - the pump just isnt the same & youd have to set an alarm to wake up frequently at night to pump

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 14th, 2008, 04:26 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I didn't have any different between my output for a hospital grade pump and for the Medela PIS, which is on par with the Purely Yours. The Lactina had a car adapter for fairly cheap, but the battery pack was insanely expensive, and not rentable. I wouldn't rent for it, myself, I'd just rely on the pump you have.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
August 14th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My son is 10 weeks old and I just went away for 6 days. I had more than enough milk pumped-I sent 40 oz/day with him (and had more stored at home just in case), but he only took about 30oz/day.

I pumped 3 or 4 times a day while gone and was able to pump 40+ oz each day (although I was pumping 45 minutes or so each time). I didn't worry about trying to transport it back since hotel fridges are so small and then all the chaos of air transport. I pumped and dumped.

You may need to start pumping more (not sure how often you pump at work now) to increase your supply to get enough stored.

Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search