I'm not producing enough milk

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just posted this in my PR, but thought I'd post it here too, to see if anyone else has experienced this or has any advice.

I'm so sad. I don't think I'm producing enough milk for my munchkin
He's seemingly going through a growth spurt, and yesterday he wanted to eat every 1.5 hours. During the night he usually goes 4-5 hours, but last night he woke after barely 3 hours. Then this morning he was so fussy beyond belief and today he wanted to eat every 1-1.5 hours. Then 20-30 minutes later he'd start fussing again. This afternoon he kept crying on and off and he NEVER does that (he's a very easy baby - he only fusses a bit when he's hungry or really tired, but I've never seen him cry like he did today). He ate at 2pm, fell asleep, ate again at 2:30pm , started fussing about 20-30 min. later. Ate at 4pm... cried bloody murder from 4:45 to 5pm, at which point I tried feeding him again. He sucked so hard and still fussed a bit, and I figured it might be because there wasn't much milk coming out. So I gave in.... I decided to give him some formula (I only have very little BM in the freezer - like 5 bags or so, plus he was so fussy I couldn't wait for the milk to thaw). So I gave him a 4-oz. bottle, and he gulped down the entire thing with NO break - just gulp, gulp, gulp... until the bottle was empty. Then he was quiet as a clam and now he's sleeping peacefully.
So the entire time my poor boy was just hungry! I feel so bad. He was crying because he was really hungry and I just didn't have enough milk DH kept telling me it's okay and I shouldn't beat myself up over it, but it's just very emotional. I've never not had enough milk. It's been draining on the boobs at times when he's been wanting to eat more frequently, but there has always been enough to accomodate that. Until now I guess.

August 14th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
All you can do is keep nursing. If he is having a growth spurt he'll want more, so just keep nursing!!! I always keep some milk in the fridge, he gets 1 nightly bottle or in case we go out somewhere (I am not comfortable NIP).

August 14th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's almost 3 months to the day of his birth and I believe the 3 month growth spurt a major one. It's common and natural for him to be fussy and want to nurse more often - the nursing more often will stimulate you to produce more milk. I haven't hit the 3 month one yet but at around 2 weeks he went through a major growth spurt that lasted about 10 days and it felt like he wanted to nurse CONSTANTLY. Kellymom recommends that you don't supplement because it takes away from the nursing that will stimulate you to produce more milk so I would encourage you to nurse through any fussiness as much as possible. I'm not sure I'd be able to let my baby SCREAM out of hunger regardless of what kellymom says though - maybe if you feel you have to give him a bottle, pump for a few minutes to stimulate the extra feeding that the bottle replaced.

Sometimes my little guy gets fussy at the breast and I've discovered it's because he wants another letdown and isn't getting it, but I do block feeding. I don't really time my blocks, I just kind of feed off one side until he starts getting fussy in "that way" I've come to recognize and then I switch sides. Some days I need to switch sides more often than others - most of the time I only offer one breast per feeding and it's plenty, but some days I have to switch. Have you tried switching sides when he gets fussy and then switching back? Also I've found if I'm stressing about something, he has a little bit of a tougher time getting another letdown to happen (like if I'm on the phone with my MIL and she's pissing me off) so maybe try turning down the lights and relaxing while he nurses.

Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water - in fact up your intake for this growth spurt if you haven't. I've discovered that my water consumption has a pretty direct effect on my milk production. If I'm thirsty and down a bottle or two of water kind of quickly it isn't long before I start leaking.

August 14th, 2008, 09:12 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
make yourself a batch of monster cookies! That can help you get through the growth spurt!

August 14th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Growth spurts are rough. Its not easy when your baby is screaming crying and frustrated. Definantly try what the other ladies suggested. What helps me is drinking tons and tons, and monster cookies for sure!!

August 14th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water - in fact up your intake for this growth spurt if you haven't. I've discovered that my water consumption has a pretty direct effect on my milk production. If I'm thirsty and down a bottle or two of water kind of quickly it isn't long before I start leaking.[/b]
That is totally true for me too! When I went to the fairwith my mom and sister forteh weekend and just now for the past week in Vegas, I was hot, so I was downing a lot of water and oh my!
August 15th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Doralovinmomma's Avatar and hell is just a sauna
Send a message via AIM to Doralovinmomma Send a message via Yahoo to Doralovinmomma
sry to hijack this post but as a prospective BF'er im jsut lurkin and readin posts to learn stuff and see wat kinda problems happen and how to resolve them so im maybe a lil mroe prepared adn i see this term-letdown- and how your baby wants it.im jsut curious wat this means and stuff?

Thank you Niamh for my awesome blinkies!! And Vicki... for my fantastic siggy

August 15th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Im sorry this is so hard on you. I agree with the other ladies. Actually I think Julian is going through a growth spurt too. He woke up 3 times last night to eat!

Quote:
sry to hijack this post but as a prospective BF'er im jsut lurkin and readin posts to learn stuff and see wat kinda problems happen and how to resolve them so im maybe a lil mroe prepared adn i see this term-letdown- and how your baby wants it.im jsut curious wat this means and stuff?[/b]
Your milk isn't always flowing when your baby sucks at your breast. When your baby first latches on and starts sucking it may take up to a minute or more for the milk to start flowing -- that is the let down. There are usually several letdowns in one nursing session. So the flow will slow down in between letdowns and your baby will have to keep sucking to stimulate another one.

August 15th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Doralovinmomma's Avatar and hell is just a sauna
Send a message via AIM to Doralovinmomma Send a message via Yahoo to Doralovinmomma
ok thx.i was just seein that word over nad over nad wa slike wat is this haha?

Thank you Niamh for my awesome blinkies!! And Vicki... for my fantastic siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search