Growth spurt or something else?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Julian will be 3 months old on Sunday and he is EBF. We had a pretty good routine going where I would put him to bed at around 10:30 and he would wake up only once around 3:30-4am to eat, sometimes even a little later. Then he would go back to bed for another 3 hours or so and be up for the day. Well, over the past 2 weeks or so, he is completely off his sleep schedule. He will wake up 2-3 times to eat most nights. A couple of nights though he did a 7 hour stretch. So I never know what I am going to get with him. Also, over the past few days, he does not want to stay down for his daytime nap which is usually 2-3 hours. He'll wake up not even an hour later and I have to nurse him back down. I figured he may be going through a growth spurt but this has been going on like almost 2 weeks. I thought growth spurts only last a few days? Aside from that, he is doing something else over the past week that is worrying me. He'll latch on and suck for only a few minutes and then continuously pull off. I keep trying to put him back on because I know he can't be full but he will just keep doing it and sometimes he won't latch back on. He also gets pretty squirmy so I figure he needs to be burped. Most of the time I'll burp him and he will still do the same thing with the pulling off. After a few minutes of him latching on, sucking for a little, pulling off, and me putting him back on or him just playing with my nipple and not really latching, he will start to get mad so I figure he is full. When he does this before bed, I know he is not going to sleep well and keep waking up to eat. I am a little worried that he is going to start using me as an all night snack buffet instead of eating until he is full. It wouldn't be a big deal if I nursed in bed but we don't co-sleep anymore because he sleeps better in his crib and he spits up a lot if he eats while he is laying down in the bed. The other day I tried nursing him laying down again and milk came out of his nose while he was drinking. So I guess I want to know if you think he is having a growth spurt? I know he is due for one around now anyways but I am worried that the reason he is feeding more often is because he is not eating until he is full. Any thoughts or suggestions?

August 16th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Baby's nursing patterns will change a lot over the first year. It may have started as a growth spurt, but then he just got used to a different nursing pattern and stuck with it. Nighttime nursing will vary greatly and once they get used to waking and nursing back to sleep, they may stick with it for a little while. Cluster feeding would also explain the bedtime nursing behavior. I have no advice, but to ride it out. If you feel there is something that is becoming a bad habit (frequent nighttime nursing for example) do some research and handle it how you feel comfortable. Some moms choose the crying it out method and others ride it out. After nursing for over 2 years now, I can guarantee any mom that things will always work themself out.

August 16th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My son is 2.5 months old and in the last few days he will start smiling while nursing. While it was cute a first, he then starts being silly. When he starts doing that I look away from him and then he gets back to business.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search