New here

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2008, 01:53 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Hi everyone! My name is Nikki, and I'm preggo with #1. I'm shooting for NCB, breastfeeding, and some other AP goals. However, the only one that will devastate me if it doesn't work out is breastfeeding. I've been reading some books and doing online research. I've got a few questions.
I'll have to go back to work at 3 months, and work 3 days a week.

At what point should I start pumping and teaching the baby to take a bottle?
How many bottles should I register for?
Am I crazy to only register for one type of bottles? (Born free)
How long should I feed on demand, before trying to get on something that resembles a schedule?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks!

Come visit my blog!
August 18th, 2008, 08:21 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Quote:
Hi everyone! My name is Nikki, and I'm preggo with #1. I'm shooting for NCB, breastfeeding, and some other AP goals. However, the only one that will devastate me if it doesn't work out is breastfeeding. I've been reading some books and doing online research. I've got a few questions.
I'll have to go back to work at 3 months, and work 3 days a week.

How long should I feed on demand, before trying to get on something that resembles a schedule?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks![/b]
Hi and welcome!!! Please feel free to post away here with any other questions you might have. Congrats on your pregnancy, how exciting! And way to go for starting to do research now. That's really something I wish I had done. I was terrified of breast feeding and didn't even think I would do it until I had my son. Now I love it. We had some struggles in the beginning but I did everything to make it work. It's worth it. Ok your questions...

At what point should I start pumping and teaching the baby to take a bottle? I wouldn't pump for 6 weeks or so. In the beginning, your supply is starting to regulate, and if you start pumping, your body will start making way more than you need. That can lead to engorgement, an oversupply, and an overactive letdown. Happened to me where I was exclusively pumping for a few weeks because my son wouldn't latch on. I started making so much that he choked when he ate, had green frothy poops and bad gas because he was getting too much formilk, and it took a lot of work to get the supply back down. Also, you don't want to introduce an artificial nipple too soon because your baby might prefer the faster slow of the bottle and get frustrated at the breast waiting for your letdown. Personally, I would probably wait until after 2 months or so to introduce a bottle. Maybe have your husband feed one a day to prepare for you going back to work.

How many bottles should I register for? Not very many, simply because your baby might not like that type of bottle. I would register for just a few and then see how it goes.

Am I crazy to only register for one type of bottles? (Born free) Since you will be pumping and breast feeding, you might want to look into a more breast feeding friendly bottle. Something like the Adiri or Mams (the only bottle my son will touch).

How long should I feed on demand, before trying to get on something that resembles a schedule? My son is 7 months old, and we don't have a schedule, persay. It's best to feed on demand, when baby wants to be fed. He has developed his own routine where he eats at predictable times of the day, but whenever he asks to be nursed at other times, I always let him. You can start thinking about whether or not you want to get into the habit of nursing to sleep or not.

You should visit the AP board here on JM! The moms there are pretty cool and can probably give you some other tips about AP. Welcome and hope to see more of you!

August 18th, 2008, 04:06 PM
.adi.
At what point should I start pumping and teaching the baby to take a bottle? I agree with the 6-8 weeks. It's best to let your body get regulated before adding pumping in.

How many bottles should I register for? I also agree for the not so many. I liked a bottle before I had my son and bought a ton and he wouldn't take them. He only takes NUKs

Am I crazy to only register for one type of bottles? (Born free) Not necessarily, but don't be surprised if your baby doesn't like it. Wait to see though!

How long should I feed on demand, before trying to get on something that resembles a schedule? my son will be a year on Sept 3 and he still nurses on demand
August 19th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ITA with the other girls. I like the Adiri bottle, its life like and soft. But my baby doesnt like it, only as a chew toy.

August 19th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

I started Hayden on a bottle once a day at 4 weeks to get him familiar with it so he wouldn't reject it if he was with family or needed a bottle from time to time..

just one or two, I would register for a jumbo pack or anything in case your LO doesn't like that brand..it took 3 brands to find one that Hayden liked..

Am I crazy to only register for one type of bottles? (Born free) just start with 1 or 2 to make sure they like it..

your baby will make its own schedule..Hayden is 8 months and I still feed on demand from time to time..

August 19th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Unless it's neccesary (because you are going back to school or work) wait until at least 6 weeks to introduce a bottle. Many woman find pumping in the beginning helps relieve engorgement, but unless you need to build up a stash, wait until that 6 week mark.

Not only can babies be picky about what type of bottle they take, some just refuse altogether. It's nice when they do take one and you can have that freedom, but some women are disappointed or think there is something wrong if thier baby refuses bottles altogether. It's a good compliment, your baby wants you!

No, just don't register for too many

I'm against setting a schedule for my children for nursing. It never felt natural to tell her when to eat or for how long. Babies will put themselves on a schedule and usually within a few months you'll notice it. It will change greatly over the first year and beyond though, and there will be times it's thrown off.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search